ex-forces and FAC application?

chrispti

Hi all,

All you ex /or still serving, lean green fighting machines with FAC's.

Did it /will it, help with your application having previous military experience? and will it help to get an 'open' ticket on the first application? (for FAC air gun) :lol:

Thanks in advance

Chris :yes:

Edited by chrispti

dont make any difference .... and can actually go against u for certain things ( a friend in the police got refused so19 because of this ) because in the military ur trained to do one thing ...... kill ! in simple terms .. anyone will civi training is to trained to fire A bullet unless needed .. wheres in the military ur trained to use multiple shots.

Edited by jinxy72

Yes, military experience seems to be a great help, certainly based on my experience with Norfolk and Essex Police, and the Met. My latest FEO is a former Grenadier WO2, and on discovering that I had also spent time in green and in dark blue, suddenly wanted to become my best mate. He couldn't be more helpful, where as if I has been 'just a civvy' with zero tangible firearms experience, he wouldn't have been quite so co-operative. Previous FEOs all similarly gave extra marks for time served following the flag.

Edited by Baldrick

Hi all,

All you ex /or still serving, lean green fighting machines with FAC's.

Did it /will it, help with your application having previous military experience? and will it help to get an 'open' ticket on the first application? (for FAC air gun) :lol:

Thanks in advance

It should help on your FAC Application having previous firearms experience

But as for an open ticket , i dont think you'll get one straight away

The thing to do is sort out a regular bit of land or a shooting club to counter sign First

then contact your Firearms Licensing and ask the question

WB

It certainly didn't work for a guy I know who was in the army. His FEO told him he'd need to be clear of active service for 5 years before he successfully be granted an FAC.

I (and many others) reckoned this was a bit weird, but he went along with it, and is now the owner of both FAC and SGCs.

Seems it doesn't always help too much.

It certainly didn't work for a guy I know who was in the army. His FEO told him he'd need to be clear of active service for 5 years before he successfully be granted an FAC.

I (and many others) reckoned this was a bit weird, but he went along with it, and is now the owner of both FAC and SGCs.

Seems it doesn't always help too much.

An FEO that had previously failed recruit selection, or been turfed out SNLR, me thinks.

dont make any difference .... and can actually go against u for certain things ( a friend in the police got refused so19 because of this ) because in the military ur trained to do one thing ...... kill ! in simple terms .. anyone will civi training is to trained to fire A bullet unless needed .. wheres in the military ur trained to use multiple shots.

Thanks for the reply mate, however I do beg to differ, soldiers are taught to kill IF NEED BE! Soldiers today are taught how to identify an enemy and assess weather they pose an immediate threat to life and when they can shoot 'LEGALY' within the 'rules of engagement'.

Thanks for the replies, with regards to the replies about not getting an open ticket on initial application, I would only be applying for an FAC airgun, will that still prove difficult to justify for an immediate open ticket?

I will have land cleared for a larger calibre rifle already, and I am regularly asked to dispatch rabbits on various other plots of land (large horse fields and farm land mainly) which getting clearance for every other week might prove difficult? I will add at this point that some of the land is small and I would then use a sub 12ftlb airgun instead. :lol:

Thanks

I can't speak for receiving an SGC or FAC as a civilian, as I applied and received mine whilst serving. What I can say though, is I received my SGC very quick, with no home visit, when the FEO contacted me. On finding out I was serving it was granted there and then. With my FAC I enclosed the proof that I was a SAA instructor and had 20+ yrs of dealing with and using high velocity automatic weapons and explosives and was granted it within 10 days of application.

ex schools gunnery instructor royal armoured corps.

never helped me at all.

got the co terminus certs in 3 weeks, and since then never really had any problems since i got basc involved with a problem on a variation for my .243,

now i could be a black listed FAC holder sort of thing with wiltshire. ( i will find out if i get granted the 22,250)

bob.

Not been in at all, but have been in the reserves and held RMQ and WI qualifications etc, wasn't even mentioned come the FEO interview, I'm sure it did count in my favour in his mind, perhaps a bit more satisifed than with a civvy with no experience.

To be honest though, if your clean and have good reason, you'll get a FAC whether your civvy or military! Doesn't seen to make any odds.

Mate of mine - marine comando took 6 months to get certs. loads of extra checks on mental health etc etc. This was even after he had trained as a keeper, and taking into consideration that he had held certs before joining the forces!

Each force to their own i supose!

Jinxy72,

Have to disagree mate, when I did my firearms training in the plod the intention was always to kill.

I see in todays paper that West Yorkshire police shot an unarmed civilian in the early hours of Friday morning.

Interestingly, it would appear that nationally, the police have shot more civilians in the last few years than have ever been injured,for whatever reason, in the same period, by legitimate certificate holders.

It always amuses me that our certificates are issued, sometimes accompanied by draconian conditions, by the same institution that has an appalling record for killing or maiming frequently innocent people.

Nick.