clay cartriges for hunting

hill billy

Hi folks i went went clay shooting at the weekend and there rule was fibre wad only so i had to buy some of there cartriges and at the end of the day i had about 15 left over, i went up the wood by my house on monday and i was pushing these cartriges to one side of my bag but i run out of normal cartriges so i started using these clay cartriges and i ended up shooting 11 with the 15 cartriges i was wondering does any one else ever use clay cartriges for hunting thanks jason

I am sure I have read in some of the tests on cartridges in the various shooting magazines that some cartridge manufacturers use shot sizes that are different to what we would expect that particular size to be, Winchester cartridges come to mind as having larger shot (to us) than what is printed on the case, ie a case printed 71/2's contains No 7 shot by our sizeing system.

Perhaps somebody on the forum with some practical knowledge on the subject could explain further?.

Guest Mr Pieman

Old shooting proverb:-

If cartridge works for you, use it!

'Works for you' = If you kill your target consistently at your chosen range, with your chosen gun.

:devil:

PP

thanks for all of your replys i think i am right in saying this but i have been lead to belive that clay cartriges contain a diffrent type of lead, what i mean is the lead in hunting cartriges is soft so on inpact it make a lot bigger surface area meaning harder hitting and clay cartriges have hard lead just to shatter the clay.

i'm not sure how much the expansion of shot effects the effectiveness, how many times have you picked a piece of deformed lead out of food thats been shot, normally the only deformed lead is that which has shattered a bones, other wise they are almost perfect.

concerning the shooting of them at game, i know some people that swear by 7's and 8's for decoying, i personally never use anything else other than 6's 30g, fine for ground and most things in the air. and even foxes if the range it right

7.5 shot i find is ok when decoying. but roost shooting or flight lines i always get to many runners. I only use 5 or 6 shot these days mainly 6 shot with half and 3/4 choke works well for me. some clay cartridges have harder lead with more antimony in it, and you will find it drills the quarry like steel shot and does not defuse on impact transfering shock and vital organ penatration as quick. around 3% to 5 % antimony in the lead is good for game and vermin.

Ears,

Have you got a handle or reference to the Antimony content of the shot in various cartridges? I'd be interested to see any. My gut feeling is that the Sb % is a lot lower than we think.

I could do the analysis myself but I didn't retire from a lifetime in industrial chemistry to start that old nonsense again!

Regards

Eug

Eugene,

Hull and Lyalvale Express both give some Antimony %s on their websites for the clay carts, Hull's best ones are mostly 5% and the Express ones are up to 7.2% for their Supreme range. They don't show Antimony for the game ones I looked at, but for Express Pigeon they say Antimony is "lower than usual".

I would guess that as well as reducing energy transfer by using shot that is too hard, the lower weight of the less dense pellets won't help kill things either. You do get (slightly!) more pellets in your 28g load though. They're still going to kill stuff if you hit them in the right place though.

Hope this helps

Chris