Pigeon Magnets

thinxs

You'll get a mixed bag of responses on here. I'm a supporter of them, I think they work great. You can still have a top days shooting without one though.

Just make sure you use dead birds on the arms, not plastic decoys. Especially those airpro ones, that's when you'll start scaring birds. (I'll get shot down for saying that) They do attract them, but the birds do suddenly realise that their wings don't spin round like a washing machine and spook and fly off.

They do have a bit of a reputation for scaring birds off if it's sunny, because the sun glints off the green metal, but this can be reduced by rubbing mud or painting it with a matte paint.

Edited by harfordwmj

They're good in certain circumstances but pants in others.

You will attract young birds better than older ones that may have been shot at so use one in late summer.

If you have a good day with one don't use it in the same place next time.

You can't beat having a couple of good bouncers/floaters in your set-up whether you use a magnet or not!

Basically its good to have in your armoury?(sp) but not all there is out there!

Being new to pigeon shooting I'm thinking of buying a magnet. Question is do they really work as a friend (experienced shooter) said not to bother as he thinks that they can scare the birds. Anyone got any suggestions? If it's yes use one then any recomendations?

I have a magnet and mount two air pro decoys on it, I have also used dead pigeons, conclusion I have found it to be a total waste of time effort and money here in West Sussex.

Being new to pigeon shooting I'm thinking of buying a magnet. Question is do they really work as a friend (experienced shooter) said not to bother as he thinks that they can scare the birds. Anyone got any suggestions? If it's yes use one then any recomendations?

Have another word with your friend, after all he uses them, try before you buy!!

Rgds D2D

PS. Reading your earlier posts on the subject from a newby pov I would suggest you go out with your friend to get a more positive feel for decoying, nothing like a good day out to boost the confidence and lessen the learning curve :good:

Edited by dusk2dawn

• 4 months later...

I have had good results with a cheapy one I got from Sportsmen Gun Centre.

It diddnt come with a battery, but like somebody said above I rubbed mud into mine to stop it from glinting.

I started off with the plastic shells, with to be honest an un-noticable difference, but when I have bagged a few I swapped the plastic shells over for the real thing, and I saw a massive improvement.

Edited by Cranfield

I have used magnets and floaters for some time now and give me floaters every time. I allways put my magnet with hypaflappers on off to one side of my pattern usually near the hedge on my left or right and found it works well on calm non windy days (Will Beasley ultralight with camo tape on shiny bits work very well) and keep the speed up of the magnet.

Any other time I never use magnets just C.G. floaters which I find awesome, so good in fact I have started making them myself and selling them to matesin the area and all reporting back excellent results. :yes::no: :blink: :look:

All of my best days pigeon shooting have been when i've used a magnet, sometimes two. This includes a few 200+ days. The first time i used hypa-flaps i shot 202 last year on wheat stubble. Though you don't NEED to own one, i personally would always carry one in the truck so i have the option to use it.