can i give my mate without a cert my gun on farm land

warren

Yep, but make sure you tell him so do's and dont's beforehand......

he has been shooting for years but just hasn t got roung to getting a cert but we was thinking of bolting a few rabbits so we would be either side of the hedge with the guns

No, if he doesn't have a SGC, he must be under direct supervision of the landowner, who in turn has lent him his gun.

Only a section 11 exemption allows for lending of shotguns, which are granted to clay grounds and other places that guns are lent out.

Edited by harfordwmj

if its your farm and your gun i believe you can but i could be totally wrong but i think i read somewhere that if you have say a field or a farm you can lend someone a shotgun and you have to be supervising them...

but even if it was my farm (not that i have a farm lol) i wouldnt just because of the fact that its my gun my farm and its his own fault for not getting one, best idea is to tell him to go apply for an SGC it wont take that long to come through home visit and such...

Edited by mark_mjs93

Its all about supervision and security of the gun.

If you lend your gun, on your land ( owned, leased, written shooting rights OK, probably not just a verbal permission to shoot the land), and you are close enough to supervise its safe use - that means beside or with, not in a car 1/2 mile away or watching out the house window - then section 11(5) exemption says its OK to lend.

In the case of section 11(6) a piece of land can have a permit granted for non-licensed shooters to use a shotgun and buy carts for use there under supervision. You can't just turn up and shoot without the permit holder's knowledge and consent, because the right to allow non-licensed shooters is granted to an individual who is responsible for them, although the responsibility can be delegated.

I found this at the Cambridge police site, http://www.cambs-police.co.uk/help/firearms/faq.asp?ID=12 .

"Can I try shooting if I don’t hold a certificate?

Under certain circumstances you can shoot without holding a firearms or shotgun certificate, these include:

1. At Clay Shoots and Registered Firearms Dealers. The shoot or dealer must hold a Section 11 (6) Exemption notice issued by the police.

2. At “open days†held by approved rifle and muzzle-loading clubs as a non-member, using club weapons on a limited number of days throughout the year. Membership is usually required to shoot at these clubs at other times.

3. You may shoot shotguns or rifles when accompanied by a certificate-holding landowner or their agent, such as a gamekeeper/stalker, on the owners land, using their weapons in accordance with the restrictions on their certificate for that weapon.

You may not borrow another person’s gun if they do not own/occupy the land you propose to shoot on. An occupier could include the farming tenant or the holder of the shooting rights. "

I had a similar problem when my mate, who owns 70 odd acres of mixed woodland wanted to try some clays. He hasn't a SGC so we did it with mine. Got him hooked now so we shall be doing lots more :good:

Hi I called up today and was told that if the person without the licence was being properly supervised it was ok for them to use the gun but if I was the other side of the of the hedge row it wouldn’t t be classed as being supervised so the answer is yes he can use the gun but I have to be in easy reach of the gun hope this helps and thx for all the replies

Hi I called up today and was told that if the person without the licence was being properly supervised it was ok for them to use the gun but if I was the other side of the of the hedge row it wouldn’t t be classed as being supervised so the answer is yes he can use the gun but I have to be in easy reach of the gun hope this helps and thx for all the replies

I'd call again and ask for it in writing.

webber