LAND ROVER'S ARE THE ONLY 4X4 WORTH HAVING

George1990

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently i'd been thinking of selling me Merc and buying another Landy and read this thread,it took me back to the first TD 4 ES premium. The salesmen said it was top of the range and i would have to say i was impressed by the speck level. Over the 12 months of ownership i was on first name terms with the service guys and spent most of my ownership driving a courtesy car. When i sold it and lost most of my 20,000 hard earned English pounds i remember saying never again !!.

So i would say this Jap aint so bad.

Had a real laugh reading this thread though, it bought back some terrible memories.

Cheers Fellas

Over the years I've owned a Toyota Hilux, Jeep Grand Cherokee and my current car is a Discovery td5.

The Hilux lacked power, the clutch was horrible and the turning circle was huge - didn't like it :hmm:

The Jeep I liked because it had a 4l petrol engine so had lots of power but the steering was horribly vague and I went through 5 brake calipers :(

I prefer the Discovery out of all of them - it's re-mapped for better acceleration :lol: and very capable off road :cry1:

having owned various 4x4 including grand cherokee, new shogun and now a landrover discovery, I have also driven various landrovers whilst serving in the army, I have to say the Discovery is by far the worst 4x4 ive ever had or driven, they drive like a shed with wheels, my opinion best 4x4 was my grand cherokee and proved to be the most reliable to if maintained correctly, a year of discovery ownership has cost me over a grand in repairs and its in mint condition low miles with full history.

Unfortunatley im stuck with it for at least another year, dont get me wrong they are decent off roader and do eveything you would expect from a 4x4 but they have niggling problems and are **** when u use it as a family vehicle to with lots of motorway miles and around town driving just to jerky and bouncy on the road. On road you need something that does both well hence the grand cherokee.

Thats my two peneth worth

having owned various 4x4 including grand cherokee, new shogun and now a landrover discovery, I have also driven various landrovers whilst serving in the army, I have to say the Discovery is by far the worst 4x4 ive ever had or driven, they drive like a shed with wheels, my opinion best 4x4 was my grand cherokee and proved to be the most reliable to if maintained correctly, a year of discovery ownership has cost me over a grand in repairs and its in mint condition low miles with full history.

Unfortunatley im stuck with it for at least another year, dont get me wrong they are decent off roader and do eveything you would expect from a 4x4 but they have niggling problems and are **** when u use it as a family vehicle to with lots of motorway miles and around town driving just to jerky and bouncy on the road. On road you need something that does both well hence the grand cherokee.

Thats my two peneth worth

Told you Jeep rule :hmm::lol::cry1: :(

A mate of mine bought a Defender recently, starter motor went a couple of weeks ago then last week he pulled out the drive and the cab filled with smoke, apparently the wiring harnass decided to self ignite, he had to fit a new harnass.

Regarding Jeep Cherokees, they are notorious for rear diff problems but there is an after market conversion which will cure that problem for good in the way of a service exchange diff for I think about £900.

I shall keep my Merc 4x4, it does everything that I need a 4x4 for and they are cheap to buy now as well, I am just waiting for the tyres to wear down so I cab put some better all terrains on.

Landy's rock :good:

They are the cheapest to mod, maintain and look after generally. You can avoid major problems by simply sparing 30minutes a month and having a quick run round the car, check play on all suspension and steering joints, wheels etc. Drive it like it is - a 2 tonne moving road block, not a DB9 :blink:

Having said that I'm also a Jeep fan. We had a 2.5 petrol Sport model for 11 years nearly, put 240k+ miles on it and the things we replaced were-

Brake pads + disks

battery

new air filter every 6 months

It only ever had the oil changed twice in 11 years!

Granted when we got rid of it...well...yeah the rear diff was shagged...didn't like turning left. What amazed me was that when my old man got his disco to replace it we were lazy and just left the jeep on the drive for the better part of a year just using it 2 or 3 times for a shooting wagon, we eventually got rid of it one day, it hadn't been started for 9 months, 4 flat tyres...didn't even need a jump, fired on the first turn :good:

Oh but it only ever got 17mpg which is complete **** seeing as our discos get 32+ :good:

A mate of mine bought a Defender recently, starter motor went a couple of weeks ago then last week he pulled out the drive and the cab filled with smoke, apparently the wiring harnass decided to self ignite, he had to fit a new harnass.

Regarding Jeep Cherokees, they are notorious for rear diff problems but there is an after market conversion which will cure that problem for good in the way of a service exchange diff for I think about £900.

I shall keep my Merc 4x4, it does everything that I need a 4x4 for and they are cheap to buy now as well, I am just waiting for the tyres to wear down so I cab put some better all terrains on.

Alright i suppose if your doin girly shoppin with your missus up town :good::P:P