Argument for the sake of it

tobster

There are obviously alot of youngsters who are members of this forum. Some talk some sense, most talk utter ****!!

If you're under 18, ain't got an FAC, and have to go out with daddy every time you shoot, then stop pretending to be a bloody expert. :D:/:lol::lol::lol::lol: :thumbs:

Another newbie that seems to want to start a flame war - what's happening here?

I feel the people how have been brought up with guns and have been "out with Daddy" are more often than not the safer man. How many adults would be happy to go out with their father umpteen times without ever touching the gun, then after proving they know what there doing are given a stick too use as they would a gun getting a clip round the ear if they get something wrong. After graduation from this they may get an unloaded gun and have to prove themselves with it before being handed some cartridges to use?? How many more adults are given a redimentary lesson on gun safety ie don't point it here there and thats the safety?

All the while the stick wielding child is learning reading watching and listening to the person with the gun.

My tuppence worth

Squint

There are obviously alot of youngsters who are members of this forum.  Some talk some sense, most talk utter ****!!

If you're under 18,  ain't got an FAC, and have to go out with daddy every time you shoot, then stop pretending to be a bloody expert.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :)  :D  :sly:

Another newbie that seems to want to start a flame war - what's happening here?

Newbie Pigeon Shooter

Group: Members

Member No.: 679

joined -03 12 post's, next one due OCTEMBER 32nd 2011TEEN ...... ISH :D

"topic" the well being of evicted and out of work labour MPs.

Martin

It wasn't that long ago that quite a few people on here were complaining openly and privately, about the nonsense being posted by some of the younger contributors.

In fact, we seem to have lost a few "regulars" over the issue.

In my opinion , there are less examples than there were, but they haven't disappeared.

We just have to learn to ignore them.

Now tobster posts his opinion, admittedly not as eloquent as he might have done, and he gets a lot of flack.

He has been a Member since December 2003 and has chosen not to post as much as some others.

I don't personally know him/her, but I think allowing people to have their own opinions , may encourage ( rather than discourage), members to post.

How long have you been shooting for Tobster and what makes you more knowledgeble than people younger than you, many of whom have quite probably shot for longer than you. With the exception of a few, people in this forum post advive about things they know about. Was there really any need for quite such a pointless, and frankly stupid comment?

Chris

i think tobsters comments were stupid and illconceived but hey we all lash out at times or just stir stuff up for a laugh.

Personally i have only just turned 18 but have shot for about 3 1/2 years now. I have shot with many people both young and old and have learnt agreat amount of knowledge covering all apects of shooting. When i enjoy something i endevour to do so with expertise and with my own efforts and the help of others i feel that i have a considerable knowledge for my age and experience. I do not have an fac as yet as i have not wanted or been able to justify one until recently, yet i know a lot more about firearms shooting than some people i have met who have an fac. it is unreasonable and frankly shows a simple minded lack of intelectual prowess to judge the quality of a sportsman on such limited and bias credentials.

I suggest in future that you dont make such generalisations without prior knowledge of character on a public forum. You may be an expert, you may be an olympic standerd shooter but i can guarantee that was not always the case.

the idea of a forum such as this is to educate, inform and to enjoy the sport with like minded people. Dont confuse these qualities with your own need to discredit other shooters

Edited by TX Sniper

It’s a shame that this should have become so heated, we are after all members of the same sport. :lol:

Personally I would rather take a youngster shooting who will listen to what I have to say, rather than an old “Know it all” who won’t listen because he knows all there is to know about shooting, safety and etiquette, and then proceeds to frighten the life out of me!!!!!!!! :sly::lol::lol:

G.M.

Don't some of you youngsters get heated under your school uniform collars?

Have we forgotton humour? Is there no irony left in the world? Of course my post was not serious - shame some of you couldn't see that.

All I was trying to do was introduce an interesting thread under the heading "general banter". If I did cause any offence - all I can say is GROW UP!

This forum should be fun - there are no teachers reading it! You won't get a detention, or have to pick litter up after school if you say something out of line. :*)

Just out of interest, how many of you think experience is a function of time?

PP

It has to be to some extent but experience in itself does not necessarily imply any degree of acquired knowledge. Some individuals will experience an event many times and learn little or nothing from it whereas a more observant, questioning person may learn more from far fewer events.

IMHO the easiest mistake to make when trying to unravel the mysteries of our various quarry species is to credit them with more intelligence than we should. It wasn’t until I read books by Barrie Rickards that I personally started to think far more about my pike fishing, applying what he had observed to my own fishing made a massive impact on the number of specimen fish I caught.

As they say “there’s no fool like an old fool” and I should know. :D:lol:

PP

I've no doubt that a person can gain valued experience from other experts etc, soaking up the knowledge like a sponge. However, since you gain more experience over time i.e. the more you do something the more experience you gain, I would think that experience is a function of time.

Cheers n Beers :D

Axe

PP

I've no doubt that a person can gain valued experience from other experts etc, soaking up the knowledge like a sponge. However, since you gain more experience over time i.e. the more you do something the more experience you gain, I would think that experience is a function of time.

Cheers n Beers :D

Axe

you say that experience is gained over time but if you direspect a gun from an early age and there is no body to correct you then you could still get lots of years shooting under your belt but that doesn't stop you from egnoring the basics like breaking your gun as you walk and making small mistakes there goes a saying even the most steady of hand can some times tremble meaning you could have 1 to 50 years shooting experience but it don't stop you having an accident.

I belive there are two types of shooting people in the world safe shooters and shooters who really could not give a dam about other people there is no inbetween of the two you should either have a gun because your safe or be locked up because your a hazerd to other people and early learning determains which catagorie you fall in

you say that experience is gained over time but if you direspect a gun from an early age and there is no body to correct you then you could still get lots of years shooting under your belt but that doesn't stop you from egnoring the basics like breaking your gun as you walk and making small mistakes there goes a saying even the most steady of hand can some times tremble meaning you could have 1 to 50 years shooting experience but it don't stop you having an accident.

I belive there are two types of shooting people in the world safe shooters and shooters who really could not give a dam about other people there is no inbetween of the two you should either have a gun because your safe or be locked up because your a hazerd to other people and early learning determains which catagorie you fall in

That has to be the longest sentence in the world!!!

:D:lol::):D:D

It is M Robson :D:lol::) .

I understand how the young ones feel. I know two 'kids' that are better shots than me, the ****, parent taught.

Also seen the ones who have had lessons on clay, turning 7/10 cards and they knew how to shoot.

biggest regret in my life?

Not going to grandads one saturday and him coming back with bakers of scutails.

LB

Not sure you read my post as I intended it to be read HB, particularly as it is a simple answer to a simple question.

However, I do hear what your saying and mostly agree that learning bad habbits early on can be very dangerous and hard to give up. Good or bad though, its still experience that is earnt over time, which was how my post should have read.

Im not sure that everyone can be 'tarred' with the same brush in the way they learn, but I do agree with you regards there being two types of 'shooter', after all......only fools rush in!

Cheers n Beers :beer:

Axe

Don't some of you youngsters get heated under your school uniform collars?

Have we forgotton humour?  Is there no irony left in the world?  Of course my post was not serious - shame some of you couldn't see that.

All I was trying to do was introduce an interesting thread under the heading "general banter".  If I did cause any offence - all I can say is GROW UP!

This forum should be fun - there are no teachers reading it!  You won't get a detention, or have to pick litter up after school if you say something out of line. :*)

Tobster...your post comes across as condescending. It seems as if you enjoy stirring things up is all. We refer to people such as you as Trolls. Your reference to detention and picking up litter is your attempt to add more fuel to the fire.

I haven't been a member here nearly as long as you but I have posted six times as much. I guess that makes you the inexperienced one :beer: and maybe you should grow up :lol: .

TX Sniper...that was a excellant post...judging by your total number of posts, making you more experienced at this, maybe Tobster should listen to you :lol: . Lets ignore him..he's only getting a rise out of this anyway...

Edited by Crowblaster

I haven't been a member here nearly as long as you but I have posted six times as much. I guess that makes you the inexperienced one

Surprise, surprise!! An American has failed to understand Irony. :lol::lol:

Many thanks for helpfully pointing out that shooting experience` is somehow likned to the amount of posts you put in this forum. I thought it was something to do with shooting!! :beer: