yes or no

SWspringer

Hi guys, just bought my second ESS, my 1st was a bitch that I had spayed.

My question is should I get the dog neutered? I will never breed from the dog who is now 8months old.

What are the plus sides and what are the negatives, I know some of the basics with other dogs coming into season but how crazy will this make my dog?

I have heard of stories of dogs running off and being out of control with nothing you can do to get them under control, is this true or should a well trained gun dog not have any problems.

Thanks for any help and sorry is my post is a bit off.

Thanks again :good:

Don't know about any control issues relating to speying or not but it can have side effects on your dog if you have her done too early.

She needs to have had her first season at least. If she has then I would go for it unless it is going to affect her training.

Not all vets will agree with this but studies have shown that an early speyed bitch can get too big and 'leggy', over-weight and be prone to cancer in the mammary ducts.

I have recently had to have one of mine at the vets for an op and the vet wanted to spey her at the same time. The wife did extensive research via the web and dog books etc and discovered all this. (The dog is not yet 6mths old and most of her line don't come in till about 9mths) She will be done but later on.

The theory is that the sex hormones 'switch off' the growth hormones so the dog stopps groing when it reaches maturity growth wise.

Hope this makes sense and is relevant for you.

Don't know about any control issues relating to speying or not but it can have side effects on your dog if you have her done too early.

She needs to have had her first season at least. If she has then I would go for it unless it is going to affect her training.

Not all vets will agree with this but studies have shown that an early speyed bitch can get too big and 'leggy', over-weight and be prone to cancer in the mammary ducts.

I have recently had to have one of mine at the vets for an op and the vet wanted to spey her at the same time. The wife did extensive research via the web and dog books etc and discovered all this. (The dog is not yet 6mths old and most of her line don't come in till about 9mths) She will be done but later on.

The theory is that the sex hormones 'switch off' the growth hormones so the dog stopps groing when it reaches maturity growth wise.

Hope this makes sense and is relevant for you.

I agree with you 100% it can have some freakish side effects like obesity, a friend of mine has a castrated lab that he picked up in an animal shelter he's grossly overweight its disgusting, no doubt a result of being spayed too young. Spaying dogs under a certain age should at any rate be made illegal.

Some vets are mad to spay dogs its a money making racket. If your a responsible dog owner and you keep your dogs properly kennelled and under control you should have no need to spay them.

If you have no intention of breeding as you have said i would get him done, all of our dogs have always been done. IMO its the best practise if your not breeding from them, also reduces the chance of un-planned puppys and health problems.

Our Toby was done on friday and is fine, byrn our other dog is done to and no problems with either of them.

:good:

Hi guys, just bought my second ESS, my 1st was a bitch that I had spayed.

My question is should I get the dog neutered? I will never breed from the dog who is now 8months old.

What are the plus sides and what are the negatives, I know some of the basics with other dogs coming into season but how crazy will this make my dog?

I have heard of stories of dogs running off and being out of control with nothing you can do to get them under control, is this true or should a well trained gun dog not have any problems.

Thanks for any help and sorry is my post is a bit off.

Thanks again :good:

neutering a male dog reduces the risk of him developing cancer later in life ( which male dogs can be prone too if not done ) ... if u aint gonna breed him them get him done m8 but let him mature first otherwise he may not do if u have him neutered too young :good:

Thanks for the reply's everyone :good:

Sniper do you mind me asking how much your vet charged for Toby?

He is now 8months old is that about the right age?

Thanks again.

Plenty neuter at that age and younger, personally I would not get him done unless he was giving you a serious problem and even then by the time problems develop they can be learned behaviour and castration will not help, training will. There are plenty of well trained, biddable, entire dogs out there and plenty of nutcases that have been neutered to "calm them down"... without success.

If you are intent on doing it let him mature a bit yet so his character has developed before you carry out a procedure that will mess about with his hormones. One plus is that if there's no balls then there'll be no testicular cancer in later life.

But the key is in the puppy conditioning and the further training IMO.

6 months is the youngest you can get it done at. We paid £102 but that was to have him micro-chipped to while he was under ( he doesnt know about it then) . I think the neuter was about £90. I would strongly advise that if the dog isnt chipped already then its done whilest the dog is under being neutered as its pain free then.

:good::good:

i had my lab ( dog ) done at 15 months , this gives all the time needed to develope muscle and bone tissue to form in the hips and joints etc .

it did help a little in his beheaviour made him a bit clamer , as well turned him into a big sissy :good: even the farm cat used to bully him :good:

plus instantly banged on a few pounds even though his food was not increased :P

I'd say 8 months is about right, if you leave it too late as WQD says the behaviour is there. It definitely makes them less dominant and aggressive and obviously they leave bitches alone.

8 months is the perfect time to start training a dog, not castrating it because it has behavioural problems, its at this point that you correct the dogs behaviour through training. Of course its going to be a little wild at 8 months its still a pup. If the dog is running around mad and full of energy then that to me is a sign of a promising dog. The last thing you want to do is cut its balls off and potentially destroy the poor dog in the process.

One plus is that if there's no balls then there'll be no testicular cancer in later life.

How could he get testicular cancer without a pair of balls!!! That's like getting your lungs removed to prevent getting lung cancer.

Castration in my opinion is cruel and unnecessary, it is recommended by Vets and organisations like the RSPCA to irresponsible/inexperienced dog owners in order to prevent unwanted puppies. If you are a responsible dog owner and your bitch is already neutered then there is no need to neuter your dog aswell.

Edited by deeksofdoom

8 months is the perfect time to start training a dog, not castrating it because it has behavioural problems, its at this point that you correct the dogs behaviour through training. Of course its going to be a little wild at 8 months its still a pup. If the dog is running around mad and full of energy then that to me is a sign of a promising dog. The last thing you want to do is cut its balls off and potentially destroy the poor dog in the process.

How could he get testicular cancer without a pair of balls!!! That's like getting your lungs removed to prevent getting lung cancer.

Castration in my opinion is cruel and unnecessary, it is recommended by Vets and organisations like the RSPCA to irresponsible/inexperienced dog owners in order to prevent unwanted puppies. If you are a responsible dog owner and your bitch is already neutered then there is no need to neuter your dog aswell.

Totally and utterly ----------- >> :good: especially the castration bit !!!

Edited by Sundowner

We've just had our 2 cockers castrated at 18months. this was brought on by the arrival of a Dobermann bitch pup. They are 2 litter brothers and the dominant dog decided he ought to be more of a pit bull than spaniel if any other dog came near his 'pack' It was quite strange to see the once docile dog attacking a husky and knocking it down!! (he does weigh nearly 20Kg and is very fit).

2 weeks later, and he has calmed a bit, still will scrap but there doesn't seem to be the red mist involved. Also the both dogs have stopped marking around the house and they smell better! They still quarter and hunt and don't get so easily distracted by other dogs now.

For me its been a good move as we weren't going to breed from them.

Simon

I have 3 entire male dogs and 2 bitches, they are all biddable, well trained and know there place in the pack, there is no need to get him done as you are having no problems with him, and then it should be a last resort. The vet will tell you to get him done as that is there buisness.

Let him mature, get him trained and let him work for you, getting him castrated will not even be an issue. (just my opinion).

Dave.