Cooking pigeon from frozen

Billy.

I took a load of pigeons out of the freezer, defrosted them and as I started to make them into pigeon burgers, i spotted these egg-like things under the skin. Can anyone tell me if this is safe to eat, as the pigeons went straight into the freezer after crowning and have lived in there for about three months.

Click for full size picture. Eggs things circled.

4vo9w9.jpg

Blurry pic but it looks flyblown, they're eggs. I see it on venison during the hot months.

You can scrape them off, if you are worried, cut out the bit they are on, then dab the whole thing down with white vinegar which is a good antiseptic and adds a nice taste.

Wouldn't cook it rare though!

pigeons went straight into the freezer after crowning and have lived in there for about three months.

4vo9w9.jpg

Even inert environment packed supermarket fresh meat has NORMAL freezer life of 1 month, more if you store it at like -20 etc

Even ignoring the nannying of the supermarket (it will keep WAY longer than 1 month!) i think 3 is a tad longer than i'd be willing to risk!

Go out and shoot some more :innocent:

Boomstick

I've taken the above advice about the white vinegar. I read something ages ago about how long you can kep stuff in the freezer and stuff like chicken was actually stated to last up to a good six months. As long as it's cooked thoroughly, I don't see much living through that. I will blend them up and refreeze and hopefully not go down with something deadly!

I've taken the above advice about the white vinegar. I read something ages ago about how long you can kep stuff in the freezer and stuff like chicken was actually stated to last up to a good six months. As long as it's cooked thoroughly, I don't see much living through that. I will blend them up and refreeze and hopefully not go down with something deadly!

It's not the stuff 'living' that you have to worry about - it's the heat stable toxins. Also i think refreezing would be a VERY bad idea!

??? mate there was no offence meant :good: he a good guy, i see his posts :lol:

Still if he is a practicer of 'self love' he is by definition a ****** :P not an insult ya see :good:

I realize that but i wasnt sure really what banker with a 'W' meant.. Whether it be you or anyother of my mates the last thing i would want to do is offend as your English humor is powerful confusing.. No offence taken bud :good: I am new to this English thing :P

What? You going to try and mate yourself :lol:

ha ha ha! i meant more about shooting a pigeon and seeing if i could make it grow into more pigeons; ive been trying that other methid for years and theres still only one of me - i had perfect 20 20 vision 4 years ago and now i need glasses ???

I will tell you that Babbs is a good dude.. I would refer to him as good people.. :good:

awww thanks lee.... :good:

and just a quick ulster joke - yes, we are the people :good:

:P