.17 HMR & Fouling

Warlock

As we all know .17hmr barrels are prone to fouling very quickly turning a nice smooth night/day out into a stop start operation due to rodding your barrel every 20 or so rounds.

This being the case does anyone know of a .17hmr rifle that can go longer between cleans before the grouping starts to go? also what do people use to clean their barrels in the field?

also what do people use to clean their barrels in the field?

Clean barrel in field?! I bought a cleaning string thing and I used it once and it's not going to come out of the cupboard again.

Garyb quite rightly pointed out that every time you clean it, the zero goes off, as the barrel loses a little lining that has built up.

I've probably had about 500 rounds through my 17 since I last cleaned it and it was shooting perfectly this evening.

• 2 weeks later...

mine will go 300-500 rounds before I use the bore snake, after several thousand shots I eventually bought a rod and jag last weekend as the accuracy seems to have gone. There was a lot of jollop up the barrel so hopefully she will be back on song when I have put some through it next sunday.

Warlock, have you ever let yours go longer between cleans? it might like it. also rodding in the field could be dodgy if you contaminate a patch with grit you might damage your barrel.

ben

As we all know .17hmr barrels are prone to fouling very quickly turning a nice smooth night/day out into a stop start operation due to rodding your barrel every 20 or so rounds.

This being the case does anyone know of a .17hmr rifle that can go longer between cleans before the grouping starts to go? also what do people use to clean their barrels in the field?

Sounds like you have read up on 17REM rather 17HMR mate. The earlier ones apparently got fouled up quite quickly due to a lack of cleaning gear being commonly available.

Lots of people get them mixed up, hope you haven't scrubbed out the barrel too much. :lol:

Sounds like you have read up on 17REM rather 17HMR mate. The earlier ones apparently got fouled up quite quickly due to a lack of cleaning gear being commonly available.

Lots of people get them mixed up, hope you haven't scrubbed out the barrel too much. :angry:

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head, it has to be the 17rem, iv'e my .17 hmr over 2 year's and only pull the bore snake through it about every2 to 3 hundred round's and it's spot on.

lol, I'll open a can of worms here then:

I shot for britain for 2years (.22lr @50mtrs) and we were taught all about cleaning our rifles, here's a few pointers from what we were told:

Dirt cannot be consistant - a nice clean barrel can

Don't clean your barrel AFTER you shoot, the "dirt" actually protects it as there's no corrosive materials in the primer or propellant anymore. Clean it BEFORE you shoot - the first few shots kind of settle the barrel and you can tell the difference straight away.

it only takes a few minutes, prosphor brush a couple of times, a quick squirt with whatever you use and another couple with that brush, then it's them little cloths all the way until they come out clean. NO LUBE OR ANYTHING NOW as the first few shots do it for you.

ALWAYS from the breach to the crown, NEVER pull / push anything the other way - you risk damaging the crown and you get muck in the breach and working parts.

Don't forget your bolt, especially where the cartridge sits in the end (it's a specific depth and is important) strip and clean the bolt every few months.

A lot of the lesson came from rifle manufacturers and Eley had a guy lecturing us too so I'd say this is all very good advise BUT, that's target rifles - My rabbiting rifle gets cleaned roughly every 300shots and usually after I shoot because I don't feel much like it before going out to the farm.

Just to play devil's advocate, a lot of target shooters refuse to clean their barrels and it works for them - I'd say do one or the other either clean it every time or only when you have to (I know, I'm a hypocrite) because as has been said, the zero shifts when you clean your barrel UNLESS YOU DO IT EVERY TIME :angry:

One last tip - don't buy cleaning patches, they're extorsionate! Get a roll of "2be4" and cut it up, it lasts forever and is dirt cheap :good: it's a roll of material marked at 2" x 4" and you cut one piece (the ideal for 7.62) into thirds for .22, I'd guess you'd cut it into quaters for .17.