snake

jay222

HOLY **** ALEX IS THAT THING EATING A RABBIT WHOLE... MY GOD ITS BLOODY HUGE.... GOOD LORD.... IS THAT ROOM ON THE LEFT ITS OWN FIKKEN ROOM?:good: CAUSE IT LOOKS A BIT LIKE A HUGE SNAKE TANK... MY GOD MAN ITS HUGE... IS IT FRIENDLY... MY BIGGEST SNAKE FEAR IS THAT THEY WIL BITE ME... BUT JEESE.... THAT WOULDNT BITE ME... IT WOULD EAT ME IN ONE...... **** MAN....

HOLY **** ALEX IS THAT THING EATING A RABBIT WHOLE... MY GOD ITS BLOODY HUGE.... GOOD LORD.... IS THAT ROOM ON THE LEFT ITS OWN FIKKEN ROOM?:good: CAUSE IT LOOKS A BIT LIKE A HUGE SNAKE TANK... MY GOD MAN ITS HUGE... IS IT FRIENDLY... MY BIGGEST SNAKE FEAR IS THAT THEY WIL BITE ME... BUT JEESE.... THAT WOULDNT BITE ME... IT WOULD EAT ME IN ONE...... **** MAN....

seriously dude, NO FEAR!!!

In primary school I knew a guy that had a corn snake, beautiful little thing, we would put a pile of jumpers on the table and let it slide around inside. good times :good:

yh i know shotshot but i mean my god... THE THING IS BIGGER THAN HIM i am not messing with it... dam snakes..... give me a little one i have no problem, give me somthing like that, and ill be up in the tallest tree i can find until it lives out its life a dies... and that will be after they move it... they will move it and take it to scotland... but i am not coming down till it dies... becuase it has smelt me and could find its way back...

HOLY **** ALEX IS THAT THING EATING A RABBIT WHOLE... MY GOD ITS BLOODY HUGE.... GOOD LORD.... IS THAT ROOM ON THE LEFT ITS OWN FIKKEN ROOM?;) CAUSE IT LOOKS A BIT LIKE A HUGE SNAKE TANK... MY GOD MAN ITS HUGE... IS IT FRIENDLY... MY BIGGEST SNAKE FEAR IS THAT THEY WIL BITE ME... BUT JEESE.... THAT WOULDNT BITE ME... IT WOULD EAT ME IN ONE...... **** MAN....

Yes she's friendly, she's a big pussy cat really! :D

I have worked hard to get her used to handling and distinguishing between handling time and feeding time but you do have to be careful, especially when feeding! I made a mistake when she was just 7 foot and she grabbed my hand and started constricting my arm! It took 10 minutes to convince her to let go! :good:

She is well over 15 foot now, about 8 stone (and still growing!) and is ridiculously strong (she can lift me + my office chair clean off the ground) so mistakes are not an option!

The first black snake - I am with Poontang - first thing I said to myself was "that would make a nice belt".

Second big yellow snake - first thing I said to myself was "that would make a nice belt for LV :good:;) "

:oops:

Edited by alexm

just thought id post a pic of one of my snakes

so here it is

DSC00318.jpg

Nice pic of the snake. :blush:

Now go put the snake away, put some some shoes on, get the hoover out and vacuum the floor! The carpet is a disgrace! :oops:

You sure that's not just one of those silicone rubber toy snakes..? :good::yes:

Cheers,

Paul.

Edited by p@cman

I like the little black one, wouldn't mind that around the house. That big yellow thing though, no chance! What could you do about it if it had a bad day and grabbed you now? Could you get out of it or would it be a case of you being dead before you could remove it?

Predatory wild animals scare me when they are more powerful than I am. A Horse or Bull could do some serious damage, but it's not really in their nature to do so. That thing's an eating machine, and I wouldn't go anywhere near it!

You obviously know a lot more about snakes than I do, but just how friendly is it? :blush:

You obviously know a lot more about snakes than I do, but just how friendly is it? :blush:

She's as friendly as it's possible for a Burmese python to be I suppose. We are talking about an animal that doesn't have a requirement for 'social skills' and therefore she doesn't have a well developed emotional response like a dog would for example. This doesn't necessarily make them more dangerous than other animals. In many ways they can be more predictable because they don't have all these other things going on like jealousy, pecking order etc.

She responds to things by instinct and to an extent by learning. It's my job to see that she learns that I am not food for example! They will only 'attack' for two reasons.

1) As a defence mechanism if they feel threatened

2) As a feeding mechanism

Number 1) will result in a lot of hissing, striking and, if you get got, lots of little teeth holes in you! But that is the extent of it. It is a warning to back off, they have no interest in hurting you. She has never struck at me out of feeling threatened. Lots of gentle handling and patience and she trusts me. I get hissed at occasionally when she wants to be left alone (usually during shedding) but that's it.

Number 2) is the dangerous one. If they mistake you for food then their intention is to incapacitate you and swallow you! Once the process starts it is very difficult to convince them to stop because, even if they realise during this that you are too big to swallow, or you are not actually food they feel committed to finish the job. The reason for this in the wild if they take a large animal by surprise and start constricting it they have the upper hand. The moment they release that animal (which by now is going to be very angry!) they are vulnerable to being attacked back. So their best course of action is to finish the job. This is why they are capable of killing things that are far too big to physically swallow.

Therefore, I take a lot of precautions to make sure she doesn't associate me with food. I wear gloves to handle food so our scents don't get merged. I go through a routine where I touch the top of her head when it's handling time so she doesn't expect food. During and after feeding she is left alone for several hours as they get very animated, especially after feeding. The food is freeze thawed, it gets put in and she sniffs it out. There is no movement of live prey, no waggling the food about to get a strike so she learns to feed by scent and not by striking the first thing she sees moving. In fact now she often doesn't constrict the food at all, just starts swallowing, so she has learned she doesn't need to use the full feeding response.

Basically if you stick to the routine then so do they.

Yuh, hmmm k, nice. So, the pet shop ran out of guinea pigs, cats and dogs that week so you plumbed for the big man eating snake instead.

Not exactly, she was a rescue from a local reptile centre. When I took her on she was 5 feet of skin and bones and riddled with mites. She had been sold by some imbecile to people who didn't know how to look after her and had no idea of the size she would grow to. :blush:

Right I don't get this snake/lizard/reptile pet thing, so here are a couple of questions for all you Steve Irwins out there,

1. What is the law regarding poisonous snakes in the UK?
  2. what happens if you do have a poisonous snake and you get bitten, do the hospitals have the necessary expertise and anti venom to treat poisonous snakes?
  3. What are the licensing laws for keeping one of those big **** off constrictors or poisonous snakes?

Has any of you heard the story about the snake who used to sleep accross the bottom of its owners bed and then started loosing weight and then sleeping lengthways beside its owner. When the owner brought it to the vet, the owner was told to get rid of the snake as it was starving itself in preparation to eat them. Is that an urban myth or is it something that can happen?