The one gun stalker .

I love to read the posts on stalking calibres . I have used all the main stalking calibre's over many years of shooting deer and at one time had three different calibre's for stalking .

I am now a one gun stalker , of course the majestic .308 winchester . In my humble opinion the .308 is the only calibre you need to shoot all europeon big game humanely . The .308 in my opinion is truly the jack of all trades rifle and master of them all .

What would you have if you could only have one calibre ?.

Harnser .

If by 'all european big game' you're including big deer, small deer, boar, and small bears then you could pick anything from 6.5 up to 8mm based on 308, 30-06, or 7mm mauser cartridges and be just fine.

I would probably pick the 30-06 myself, just because that's what I have and what I know. A 165 ballistic tip at 2850 will do the goods on about anything you could want to shoot.

Thanks,

Rick

On all the above apart from Boar and Bear, I would say .243 as you can take all the deer species with it and with the likes of red deer it would force you to stalk the animal to get within a kill range (although I guess this doesn't mean everyone has the sense to do this!)

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

If you really mean 'European big game', Harnser, there is one obvious choice: the .30-06. It packs more punch and offers a flatter trajectory than the .308, ideal for long-range shots at chamois etc. If you mean 'British deer', you're right, it has to be the .308.

My quest for the perfect rifle has meant that I've owned most of the mainstream stalking calibres now. The ones that I have kept are the .270, the .308 and the .30-06. I would not bother with a .243 or 6.5x55 again as a one-rifle choice, for my own needs.

I went for the 6.5x55 and am very happy with it. Fine for what I am doing at the moment.

But forever, one rifle? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, .308 I think. Because, ease of buying ammo, anywhere, far more accurate than the .30-06 at long range (snipers do not use the .30-o6), less kick, more powder efficient, huge range of bullet types and weights, short compact action and finally it is just so effective on anything from muntys to boar.

ft

.308 I think. Because, ease of buying ammo, anywhere, far more accurate than the .30-06 at long range (snipers do not use the .30-o6), less kick, more powder efficient, huge range of bullet types and weights, short compact action and finally it is just so effective on anything from muntys to boar.

ft

Snipers do not use the .30-06 now; the calibre was used with stellar results, up to and including the Vietnam War. I appreciate that the .308/7.62x51mm is inherently more accurate, but the .30-06 is not one of the world's most popular calibres for nothing: it still performs. It can also do more - 220gr bullets are very useful.

I would stick with my .270.

Everybody told me it was a real meat masher, terrible recoil etc... but, I have to say I love it!

I also have a 6.5x55 which is a great round but, you need to reload to get the best of it and the choice of bullet weight is important. Mine performs very well with either 100 or 120grainers with quite hot loads as it's only a 20" barrel.

I have tried heavier factory loads in it up to 160grns and while they are ok for close stuff after 100yds they drop like a rock.

If I was to try anything new around the same area and could be bothered with fire forming cases I would be very interested in a 260AI.

One thing I can't get out of my head at the moment is a remington ultra mag, I was initially putting in for a variation for a 300wsm then changed my mind to 300 win mag and finally put in for a 7mm rum.

I now have one on my ticket for deer and boar but, will I ever use it if I buy one? altough I am palnning to go to New zealand next year! :hmm:

Snipers do not use the .30-06 now; the calibre was used with stellar results, up to and including the Vietnam War. I appreciate that the .308/7.62x51mm is inherently more accurate, but the .30-06 is not one of the world's most popular calibres for nothing: it still performs. It can also do more - 220gr bullets are very useful.

Granted, the Germans did have a nasty surprise in WW1 when they met the USMC. And yes you can use the 220grain round but most find the 180grain more useful. But why carry a 30-06 when something that was designed to be better, is? Although if we were to go to the northern USA for Ursus Arctos,i would be with you.

ft

But why carry a 30-06 when something that was designed to be better, is?

ft

On that basis, and just to play Devils' Advocate, ditch the .308 and carry a youthful 6.5-284, a 7mm WSM or a 325 WSM, all designed to best the relatively outdated .308.

I bought a .270 fairly recently, and like Moses, I have to say I am seriously impressed with it.

On that basis, and just to play Devils' Advocate, ditch the .308 and carry a youthful 6.5-284, a 7mm WSM or a 325 WSM, all designed to best the relatively outdated .308.

I bought a .270 fairly recently, and like Moses, I have to say I am seriously impressed with it.

Everthing I hear from people who have the .270 is good, with two friends now in the process of getting the .270 on their ticket. Makes you think. Another chap I shoot with, Ian T, has the .270 wsm and now won't use anything else, and he has lots of calibres in his armoury.

Is it right about the .270 firing different bullet weights to the same zero? I keep hearing about it and I'm sure I read about it somewhere. I will try and find it and post a link.

About the other calibres, their recoil can be an issue (not the 6.5) for some folks. The Moderated tikka .308 I used on the range recently was a pussycat, and very, very accurate.

ft

Everthing I hear from people who have the .270 is good, with two friends now in the process of getting the .270 on their ticket. Makes you think. Another chap I shoot with, Ian T, has the .270 wsm and now won't use anything else, and he has lots of calibres in his armoury.

Is it right about the .270 firing different bullet weights to the same zero? I keep hearing about it and I'm sure I read about it somewhere. I will try and find it and post a link.

About the other calibres, their recoil can be an issue (not the 6.5) for some folks. The Moderated tikka .308 I used on the range recently was a pussycat, and very, very accurate.

ft

Well once I found that mine (Sako 75 hunter) shot like a shotgun with factory I started to reload. Then to some degree I agree with your comment above. Mine is set to zero with 110grn V-max but I do know where the 130grn loads that I have made shoot in relation to that zero (and its not far out)

If I had my time again I would probably get a 6.5x55 but only because its less work getting it shoot nicely. Now I have a .270win I wont be getting rid of it put it that way..... its the boss of whatever it does!

Flytie, I believe it was the Yank author/shooting guru Jack O'Connor, who was the driving force behind the .270 Win's popularity. He said that 110-150gr bullets would typically group within 6 inches at 100 yards. I was using 90gr HPs in mine in the short interval between purchase and rebarrelling, and it was literally a death ray for fox control. One of the flattest-shooting mainstream calibres I have seen. I now just stick to 140gr.

I'll chuck in my vote for the .270. It does all I ask of it for UK shooting, and things stay dead. I did use one without a moderator for a while, which behaved as the noizy uncomfortable swine of their reputation, but a T12 on the end really tames the calibre. I suppose you could argue overkill for the smaller deer species, but if you are shooting them broadside on even if you clip a rib or two the meat damage isnt too severe.