Fullbore moderators

pdg

Hi guys, having just temporarily (hopefully-vet advice to follow) deafened my dog whilst stalking ( the first time he has been out with me - poor little ******!! :) ), I need to buy a moderator for my .243. So my question is, from your experience, which is the most effective moderator at the shooters end ( I am not bothered about the quarry as I only shoot one animal at a time).

Thanks in advance.

Phil

The moderators with the best sound attenuating properties, to my ears, are the ASE Utra Jet-Z Compact (expensive but (oddly) compact) and the PES Muzzle Can (cheaper, but longer). Consider also PES's T12 and Scout models, both of which are also very quiet.

You will not go wrong with ASE Utra or PES. Don't buy anything that's not stainless, or that offers a modular design.

I got a T8 as part of my deal with Macleods. I am happy with it, but clean it every time it has been used :rolleyes:

The wildcat looks good, a mate has one on his 7x57 and is very pleased with it. I believe there was a report done in the Sporting Rifle mag that proved there was little differance (2db/4db i think) between any of the mods on test. A strippable stainless one would make sense.

I was advised to buy a PES when I did my DSC1, but to make sure it was a stainless one, by several folks doing the test who were professional stalkers. The forestry commission still buy the T8.

ft

I am happy with it, but clean it every time it has been used :good:

And you don't lose your zero when you do this? I take it you don't remove it when you do clean it?!

A quarter turn to tighten my mod caused the bullet to move 8" at 100 yards...! :yes: :yes:

And you don't lose your zero when you do this? I take it you don't remove it when you do clean it?!

A quarter turn to tighten my mod caused the bullet to move 8" at 100 yards...! :good::yes:

it cant of been tight when you zero'd then? i remove all my mods rimfire to fullbore to clean and havnt had a problem?

A quarter turn to tighten my mod caused the bullet to move 8" at 100 yards...! :good::yes:

No problem with my zero after mod removal, and yes I remove it every time and store it seperately in the cabinet. Can do sub 3/4" groups at 100m, off the bipod laid on the ground, with federal power shok 140gn's now the barrel has been shot in. My T8 is the .30 rated one, they come with a screw on bush at the back of the mod which sits on the barrel to keep it in alignment. I would be very worried if my zero moved like yours did, but it doesn't, so I'm not :yes:

ft

Edited by flytie

My mod is removed after every outing,mainly because the rifle wont fit in the cabinet with it on(24" barrel)and when it is replaced it holds zero every time.The only time it has moved is when i give the mod a good clean.If it looses zero i would say you are not tightening it properly.

Why do people clean stainless centrefire moderators? I don't myself. Any detritus is burnt out by the muzzle blast and there is no continuous build-up of gunk (the fouling is approx 1mm deep in all the baffles).

That is what i was asking myself AFTER cleaning it :blush: .I cleaned the sak and then just thought i will clean the ase.You see this is what happens when you couldnt get out shooting for a while.I cleaed all my guns and shouldnt have,i cleaned both mods and shouldnt have.The ase northstar that i have says on the box "clean every 3000 rounds approx"so i may have been a bit premature(and bored).

That is what i was asking myself AFTER cleaning it :sly: .I cleaned the sak and then just thought i will clean the ase.You see this is what happens when you couldnt get out shooting for a while.I cleaed all my guns and shouldnt have,i cleaned both mods and shouldnt have.The ase northstar that i have says on the box "clean every 3000 rounds approx"so i may have been a bit premature(and bored).

You absolute top man :yes: I know how you feel, having just cleaned all my flylines. Only to remember that i did them at the end of last season :D

ft