Pet Insurance

Ozzy Fudd

hi, do pet-insurance.co.uk increase the premium year on year as the dog/cat ages?? our lloyds policy was very good until in the last 2 years it went from £9 to £14 to £18 per month for no reason [never claimed]...some policies do not increase the premium in line with the dogs age....just wondering if they are one cos their cover does look good!!

Edited by toka_shigazu

Please please check the policy wording, most do NOT cover working dogs, and if the dog is injured and they find out it was working at the time. the claim could be invalidated and you get the bill!

Tesco - no

Direct line - no / not always, depends how often they work

More Than - no

Sainsbuyy - no

How do I know? I called all of them last year to ask and then published an article on this in the BASC mag

Who am I with? http://www.pet-insurance.co.uk

David

thats something i meant to post, alot of them also dont cover dogs if theyre used for breeding purposes too, had to clear that with tesco this morning (theyre cover seems good so prob going with them), woman said ill be ok as long as im not currently breeding them and not planning on it (im not), but i made sure i rang her from the work phone as all my calls are recorded, just in case!

as we went through last time a "working dog" is a very hard description for the call centre staff to understand so they automatically exclude them. Basically to the uneducated its the same as a police or security dog or one that works for a living.

Is taking your pet out shooting with you classified as working when most of the time its not for reward? Most dogs on here will be out shooting pretty rarely its not like they are keepers dogs or beat 5 days a week but are mostly pets with a talent for retrieving for recreational purposes

Yes you can go out and get the all singing all dancing policy but it will cost you. Any injury on a shooting field could be done on a walk and your vet isn't in the business of trying to trip you up or detect insurance fraud. Personally mine is with pet plan who I think are ok anyway they're not the cheapest and have hiked the policy up each year so I have got the hump with them and will probably go elsewhere next year or just bung the money away in a savings account as I've a feeling for most sensible owners you usually pay out more than the insurer. Plus if I breed I'll put the money from a couple of the pups in the pot as well.

Yes working dog can be mis understood. The question I posed to the insurance co's was:

I take my 4 year old Springer spaniel shooting, beating and picking up about 15 or so times a year. Sometimes I get a pheasant, sometimes I get a couple of quid and sometimes I get nothing. Am I covered under your policy?

Based on that info the companies gave their answers as per my last post.

Now looking at Tesco, they specifically EXCLUDE gundogs , have a look at the on line application form and click on 'assumptions' at the bottom of the page, it is there is black and white!

Your vet is not in the business of detecting insurance fraud - of course not! But I can tell you that claims are investigated, and insurance companies are very aware of the potential for bogus claims. They all share data and information about they types of claims, so will know they sorts of things working dogs will suffer from. So when claims of that nature come in, for a ‘working’ breed like labs and Springer’s, depending on the size of claim, they may be investigated.

Yes you can take the risk, insure your dog with one of these guys, take it out 'working' and make a claim but if you get caught out, don’t say you were not warned!

David

I cancelled my insurance with my provider after calling to confirm their "working dog cover".

Was told that it wasnt covered.

Then went to another provider who confirmed it was. (pet insurance.co.uk)

Wrote shirty email to original insurer, who then said..........working dogs are covered under their policy...................

Great............nice to have all of the staff trainied properly................

Edited by Lancs Lad