.17 hmr game points 20gn

I got a box of these to try recently, having found they shoot well through my savage I filled the mag with them and went for a wander.

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed foxes where I shoot - the farmer has no game and likes to think they help to keep the bunnys down.

:lol: DON'T try them on bunnies, they're useless unless you take head shots.

Luckily, I may just have found a new permission - someone my dad knows is going to have a word for me, I hope I can go for charlie on this permission otherwise I've got most of a box of bullets that I'll not be using.

But, basicly, if you were thinking about trying it save yourself the guilt and expense - they're not for rabbits.

I know what you mean they are very small and leave a small hole without much trauma and just go through things. Head shots are fine but the Vmax rounds give you a lot more put down power for body shots as the bullet imparts most of its energy to the rabbit.

I'm not even convinced on them for foxes the only runners I've had have been with them and thats with a hole straight through them, ok picked them and they didn't go far but its not the same sound even as a hit from the ballistic tipped bullets

ah, that's not so good then - they really are useless! lol.

To be honest, I don't think anyone'll ever better the v-max for the hmr, unless it becomes legal to load the tip with shock sensitive explosive!, a 20gn v-max with the same velocity would be good though but I hear they can't up the charge because the brass can't take it in a semi-auto :lol:

Conversly I found CCI 20grn Hollow points very effective on rabbits when fired through my Sako Quad. I found expansion was effective yet not exessive on head, neck and vital organ shots. I have shot numerous bunnies with this round and have not had one move more than a foot after the bullet has impacted. Before anyone says it I always run up to shot bunnies and check they're dead and can confirm that I have had no probs with the 20grainers.... I have never had to chin a rabbit shot with the 20's. I agree the v-max rounds are good but to be honest I prefer the hollow points.

Thers my two penneth.

Conversly I found CCI 20grn Hollow points very effective on rabbits when fired through my Sako Quad. I found expansion was effective yet not exessive on head, neck and vital organ shots. I have shot numerous bunnies with this round and have not had one move more than a foot after the bullet has impacted. Before anyone says it I always run up to shot bunnies and check they're dead and can confirm that I have had no probs with the 20grainers.... I have never had to chin a rabbit shot with the 20's. I agree the v-max rounds are good but to be honest I prefer the hollow points.

Thers my two penneth.

OH! just to confuse matters! I hit two both with good chest shots (just behind the shoulder) one after the other and both were runners, I was dissapointed to be honest - the bullet just passed straight through. In the time it took me to get hold of the first and finish the job, the second was dead but I'd've preffered to see them both drop properly. I normaly only take head shots but I'm not quite as confident with the hmr yet (I've only had it a fortnight).

I'll also disagree with what you're saying. The CCI TNT's shot really well from my savage also, so I bought a bunch of them before I moved over here (since they were $10 a box, instead of £13 here). I shot bunches of hares and crows with them to good effect. You don't get the massive damage that you get with a v-max. There is no doubt on that point. But dead is dead and there was always a satisfying thump on the other end.

That said, with the HMR every shot should be a headshot. The gun is capable, so aim for the head and pull the trigger. If you miss the head you've hit the neck or dirt. Either way you're golden.

Thanks

Rick

I think this thread might have answered an on going problem i have been having. I bought 500 of the 20gn and have had more runners than ever, i was begining to think there was a problem with my setup but i hadn't changed anything but the ammo. I have had nights where i have shot at 20+ rabbits and only collected 4 or 5, i know the others they will be dead at the bottom of hole but not the way i like to do business. I only have 50 rounds left and will return to the 17gn Remmingtons.

I've shot a few foxes with the 17gr vmax and they never went more than about 10 yrds after being hit, the only one I shot with a 20gr ran a full field about 150yrds before he collapsed, the bullet had gone straight through him at 80yrds, so I only use the 17gr on everything now.

Guest topshot_2k
I think this thread might have answered an on going problem i have been having. I bought 500 of the 20gn and have had more runners than ever, i was begining to think there was a problem with my setup but i hadn't changed anything but the ammo. I have had nights where i have shot at 20+ rabbits and only collected 4 or 5, i know the others they will be dead at the bottom of hole but not the way i like to do business. I only have 50 rounds left and will return to the 17gn Remmingtons.

Start shooting them in the head then ;)