Sako Quad .22LR Ammo Advice

I am getting a Sako Quad tomorrow .22LR.

Every rifle likes its own different ammo. The SAKO will be used for targets, rabbits, foxes, and vermin birds.

What would you suggest as the best make/brand of ammo to use with the Sako Quad .22LR?

Thanks for the advice !

Evoss

did i read that correctly? are you going to be using the .22 for fox?

Yes, a .22 can take fox out if the shot is placed right... bigger gun dont make you better mate :hmm: just shows ur trying to substitute somthing dosent it

Eley subs but the occasional ejection problem, don't know what's causing it.

Jake

A number of of Quads like mine were machined to very specific tolerances. The rumour was that the tooling used was worn but I was corrected that Sako engineering is very accurate and the tolerance given was very small indeed. This leads to non-ejection as not so well engineered cases and the lubrication used on them, jam the case in the breech after several shots.

My quad when new, wouldn;t cycle CCI's at all and both Winchester and Eley subs jammed in a warm barrel after several shots. The cure, I sent mine back to GMK who took a thou' off.

Guest RemmySPS
I am getting a Sako Quad tomorrow .22LR.

Every rifle likes its own different ammo. The SAKO will be used for targets, rabbits, foxes, and vermin birds.

Now what you are asking is a bit of a paradox, because your Sako will shoot subsonic ammunition better than HV……..but you really need HV for fox, so how can anyone give you a definitive answer.

I personally feel it is wrong to shoot foxes with a .22rf and especially so with subsonic ammo’, as it isn’t really up to par for a fox. And yes I have shot foxes with a .22rf and yes I have killed them. But I have also had runners as well, which is why I now use nothing less than a .22Hornet for my local farm and a .223m for my other shoot which has bigger (much bigger) fields.

I believe it is essential that we give foxes the respect they deserve, and that means making absolutely certain that they drop on the spot, and personally I would never use a .22rf again unless it was for the dispatch of an injured one.

Heard all the arguments before about shot placement etc, but in the end you cannot guarantee a dead fox with a .22rf, whereas a .22CF using varmint bullets, or a .243 (certainly a .243 70grn V-max :ermm: ) will stop it dead in its tracks.

Why not apply for a small calibre CF for foxes and make certain. :blink:

• 11 years later...
On 28/05/2009 at 17:28, mirokujames said:

did i read that correctly? are you going to be using the .22 for fox?

I just watched a video on YouTube of a guy killing cattle with a .22LR. 

Don't underestimate it, it takes only 60ft/lbs of energy to kill a bear, a supersonic .22LR leaves the barrel with almost 200ft/lbs where subs leave with around 100.  Obviously penetration would be an issue there but on small and soft targets foxes a .22LR is plenty. A subsonic 40gr .22LR bullet is still carrying over 60ft/lbs of energy at 460 yards. 

Winchesters have more clout than slightly better grouping Eley's for mine but I use a 13" barrel as its real handy in a truck.

If you find it difficult to extract some of the cases keep in mind it also has to deal with broader HMR cases. The extractor claw is great for HMR cases but only marginally gets under the smaller diameter LR rim. The tweak is to make the claw more pronounced with a bit of filing. I have a before and after photo somewhere if you need it.