Beer festivals

Dunkield

As we seem to have a few beer drinkers on here, I wondered if anyone else had noticed an increase in the number of pubs doing their own beer festivals, is it a country wide thing?

These aren't the traditional big fesivals frequented by the beardy, pipe smoking CAMRA boys, but local pubs getting a few different beers in for one weekend in the summer.

We have a couple of local ones lined up over the next month so I will be looking forward to sampling some of the more obscure beers they tend to get in :good:

Three pubs within 2 miles of me do a beer festival, all with a bit of live music, first one does Pie & Ale, second Sausage and Ale, third plain ale.

They all have lots of fantastic ale from around the country from small brewerys the pie and ale festival had more than 80 different ales to try. I tried my best but sadly did not manage them all over the weekend.

Yes there are several springing up.

The local vineyard has one over the easter weekend but I find they all tend to sell the golden or very dark ale rather than the traditional type.

THere is one coming up this week in colchester

Very true, there is also a real increase in the awareness of ales though, look at the beer counters in any major supermarket and where there used to be just cases of Bud etc, now there are rows of bottles of the real thing.

As for the festivals, you just need loads of different beers and a hog roast (plus decent weather of course) and you are all set :blink:

FCS,

The one at Chappel is highly overated and far too busy. I went last year on the train for a session and ended up queueing all night and had 3 pints.

I am going to try the colchester one this week though

I went last year on the train for a session and ended up queueing all night and had 3 pints.

This seems to be the problem with the bigger events, I have never been but a colleague of mine queued for 3 hours to get into the Reading one - waste of time. The pub run ones seem to be the way to go, but they do run out of the more popular beers so getting there on the first day is the way to go.

The biggest problem with the chappel one is the CAMRA beardies all standing at the bar sampling the 1/3 pint and discussing the virtues of growing hops on a bed of virginal rose manure that has only come from pure bred aberdeen angus herds.

Why they can't just buy a pint and move away like most.

The first pub one I went to, in the Wyndham Arms in Salisbury, we did the have a half to try them out thing.

But my patience soon ran out so once we knew what we liked, we just got pints of that in.

Less time stood at the bar, and more time drinking the stuff.

The biggest problem with the chappel one is the CAMRA beardies all standing at the bar sampling the 1/3 pint and discussing the virtues of growing hops on a bed of virginal rose manure that has only come from pure bred aberdeen angus herds.

Why they can't just buy a pint and move away like most.

I tend to buy or hire a beard specially for the day (last year's one came complete with 2 blackbirds nesting).

I also have a pewter tankard fixed on a lanyard to my belt, just next to my inexplicably large bunch of keys and sport a Nazareth 1974 tour t shirt on in XL, even though I'm now XXXL, which highlights my muffin top peeking over the top of my jeans.

The secret with the Chappel jobby (as well as any beerfest) is to take a half day and get there for the afternoon session, or get hold of a mate involved in brewing and go on trade day at the big festivals.

Anybody up for a PW visit to the GBBF this year?

http://gbbf.camra.org.uk/home