A few crows

hawkeye

Well last week scaffy and myself happened to pop into one of my farms and we were informed he had a crow problem.. "We are just the lads to sort that" says scaffy anyway we spent a couple of hours in the rain standing just inside the edge of the wood we got a few but we had no hides or decoys with us.

Jump forwards a couple of days scaffy has gone back to work and yesterday morning i took some gear over to John (mag357) to do some work on the floaters we make after a while i said to john grab a shottie and we will have a couple of hours on the crows..

Headed to the farm scaffy and me were on a few days ago, on the way about a mile from the farm we saw a field that was black with crows hundreds of the bug**rs..

When we got there the farmer came over to talk and let us know what fields he was going to be working in and i happened to mention the fields we had seen on the way and did he know who's they were..

Yes it belong to my brother i will give him a ring for you but my crows come first so i explained we would set up on both farms and bounce them about he seemed happy with that..

We spent a couple of hours but the fields we wanted to be in they started cutting so we packed up..

Had a phone call later that day to say he had spoken to his brother and to go ahead and shoot them no problems. Rang john to say i had got the new farm and did he want to set up on the farm we had been shooting and i would set up on the new farm if so did he fancy an early start..meet up at 8am at the farm..

John was up for it OK, I was fast asleep when my mobile went it was john to "say its ******* down over here" i looked out it was nice and dry outside then i looked at my watch BLOODY 6.15AM i told him i would meet him over there at 8am then went back to bed..

We met up as planned john on one farm me on the other it was red hot barrels right from the start for me. Spoke to john on the phone a couple of time it was nice and steady where he was. then i got a call from john they had just driven into the field he had set up in to start picking up the grass they cut yesterday..

By this time it was nearly 10am he had only been shooting since 8-30am and had about 18 by this time i was on 40+ so i said pack up and come over with me as they will be quite a while picking the grass up and we had only planned to shoot till 12 pm anyway..

John arrived and set up next to me for the last 1-1/2 hours the blackies were coming in steady away. We could hear a banger going of in the distance and wondered where it was situated..

Dinner time came and we started to pack up when over the fence came this chap i asked if he was Ian and he said yes how are we doing."not to bad says i we are just starting to pack thing away" John looked round and said " it looks like a massacre has happened" there were dead bird every where..It turned out the banger was at the farm to try to keep the crows out of the buildings and we should set up over they if we wanted to..

The last thing he said was keep at them and come anytime you want to..

The end result we lost quite a few in the small wood behind the hides and John had left the bulk of his on the other farm..

gamafair011.jpg

one happy shooter...

gamafair012.jpg

John ended up with 25 and i had a straight 80 so 105 blacks and 3 pigeons wasn't bad for a mornings decoying...

I think we would have had a lot more if John had been in the same field as me but we had to keep both farmers happy...

cheers Dave got to agree.

Called out on some barley today crows hitting it already, Kdubya was with me we set up in two grass fields near the barley ended up at dinner time when i had to pack up i had 24 + 3 woodies Kdubya had nearly 30 blacks so not to bad for half a day back at them Sunday playing golf tomorrow... :good::P

Edited by hawkeye