Laid Barley

hattochr

Laid barley would usually mean crops around it are tall, so you need something which stands higher than the standing crop so it can be spotted from distance; Your decoys are only visible when almost directly above. I use a rotary and a bouncer and not too many decoys leaving a good landing zone for the woodies to see they can land. If you put too many and don't leave room they can ignore the pattern.

I sit shells (without sticks) on the laid barley/wheat and use floaters and a rotary.

A lot does depend if the laid crop is in one largish bit, or a few smaller bits.

Its my experience that the incoming birds always head for the rotary, so I make sure I place that accordingly.

Do pigeons go for laid barley even when it is not far enough grown, ie before the milky stage? There is barley around here that is far too new, but some of it is flat.

I've known them too best bet is keep an eye out at different times of the day and over a few days this should tell you whether they are and what flight lines there using. Good luck

ive got a bit of the same problem, im shooting over lots of barley, wheat and OSR but its all new and none of it has realy gone flat. there are lots of patches about 3-4 inches high around the edges of the fields were the rabbits have made some dents in it but im finding it hard, to really bring the birds in. are magnets and floaters the best options with just a couple of decoys in these clared areas?

Thanks for the reply lads. On closer inspection these patches which i thought from the road was layed barley are actually patches where it hasn't grown for some reason. Has a few days on on in the week got 12 one day and 15 the next. Lots of birds just couldn't decoy them that well. Set up with the rotary then a few bouncers. Also put a few sillosocks out. Whats the best position to have the bouncers in? Cheers.

The bottom line is the pigeon want to be feeding on the grain from the ripening crop so if you are trying to shoot on the edges of the field its not ideal because the birds wont naturally be dropping in to feed there. You will pull some off the flightline but until they notice true laid patches that are to their liking all the best technique in the world wont produce a good bag. Wait a little while longer as they are not doing damage to it and you don't want to disturb the flightline before they start hitting the field or you could spoil the good days to come.

Si

On closer inspection these patches which i thought from the road was layed barley are actually patches where it hasn't grown for some reason.

Or rabbit damage. Round here all the barley is on short stalks and unless we get a hurricane or a hail storm it's unlikely to get laid. Best bet then are the tramlines near some overhead wires, just make sure they're not power lines.

There are some plots of barley trials on the Masstock farm over the road, and one particular variety has already given into the wind. I haven't seen any pigeons hammering it yet.

The remaining barley in the area has turned, but it's all short varieties and looking pretty robust. We are due rain this weekend though, which may change things.

I use bamboo canes to lift the decoys around the edges of the lay and one or two decoys on it. Seems to work well. One word of warning to guys using a dog for the first time, dogs are at great risk from the "hairs" on the top of the barley head and they pierce the skin and keep on travelling under the skin with horrible consequences!

Or rabbit damage. Round here all the barley is on short stalks and unless we get a hurricane or a hail storm it's unlikely to get laid. Best bet then are the tramlines near some overhead wires, just make sure they're not power lines.

highlander just make you own laid area, if the farmer asks what the h*ll is going on tell him its a crop circle and did he see the big orange light last night

I use bamboo canes to lift the decoys around the edges of the lay and one or two decoys on it. Seems to work well. One word of warning to guys using a dog for the first time, dogs are at great risk from the "hairs" on the top of the barley head and they pierce the skin and keep on travelling under the skin with horrible consequences!

i once spent hours pulling those brisley little bleeders out of my dogs face so i never take a dog in barley anymore, if you're there to protect the crop and you cant pick all the birds youve shot yourself then thats just how it is, sad but a neccessity i'm afraid, better to loose a few birds than put your dag at risk

mikee