Your most memorable day shooting

Toombsy

This might have been done before - sorry if it has.

I for one would really like to read your stories of those once-in-a-lifetime Red Letter days spent with rifle or shotgun (and see some pics and hopefully learn something :good: )...

It could have been one of those days when you broke your personal best, stalked your first deer, shot 100 straight, whatever...

Who's going to kick this one off...? :lol:

hmm ive had a few :lol:

suppose the one i always remember is the day i went out to convince myself i couldnt shoot properly with my old sbs and i needed to trade it in for a semi auto or something.

went out with 14 cartridges in my pocket, came home with 2 left, for the rest i accounted for 5 rabbits, 2 pigeons, 2 crows and a magpie :good:

kept the gun for a while longer then :), ended up having to get rid of it in the end anyway, had the chance to get it back last november, but when i finally made up my mind to get it back it had been sold on 3 days before :no:

Got to be my first time out with decoying pigeons with my mate BOTCH off here :) took me on his permission n we set up in the corner with a hide n his shotty.

He told me a few tricks n showed me the ropes. Spent about 2-3 hours n shot about 14 pigeons n about 7 crows :lol: Nothing great but to me it was fantastic :no:

I also remembering missing a bird hovering about 3 feet off the ground perfectly possitioned , with both shots :good: n still remember BOTCH saying " A gift ... a gift was missed, by Lloyd" hahaha. Also had a few good times out with BAP foxing, first time out n we got 3 fox's with his 243 Tikka T3 Hunter :good: Good times with good friends :good: Prefer it to a huge bag count with a bunch of strangers anyday :good:

Without a doubt one the most memorable days for me was shooting my first white tail buck in up state new york . The buck was running through the wood having been spooked by some other hunter and ran past me at about 40 yards out and running fairly fast . I was using a remmi 1100 loaded with one ounce slugs and killed it clean on the run . My cousin was most impressed .

Harnser .

The first time we ever went stalking in Scotland, the first day hadn't gone exactly to plan, so went to the more challenging side of the estate for the second day.

We walked our legs and lungs off to get way up the side of a mountain to get right above a pod of about 10 hinds and calves.

The stalker went forward to check they were still there, and came back grinning with a double thumbs up, we went forward together and rather than than pointing out the one to shoot he gave me a list of 1,2 & 3.

I shot all three none of them knew anything about it, the third one didn't drop on the spot so it was followed up on (my inexperience) but I will never forget that day for as long as I live.

mine was about 10 years ago on boxing day afternoon, i arrived at the marsh about 2.30pm and it was blowing about 60-70mph, i found a splash and set up in the adjacent dyke by about 3pm, and then the wigeon and teal started to come and it was non stop until dark, some came slow just off the ground and some came like bullets from the other way, i dont know how may shots but it must have been in the region of 70 and in the end picked up 29 mostly wigeon and teal and the first two gadwall i had ever shot, my dog even caught a flying wigeon that got buffeted by the gale and knocked to the ground and as it tried to fly away into the wind Jazz ran up behind and plucked it out of the air, when i let it go it flew away strongly so it must have been ok. jazz has been dead now for 18 months and i still miss her, most shooting men have 1 outstanding dog in their life time, she was mine

mikee

I think breifley my fondest shooting memories to date are:

* my first wood pigeon taken with a old hammer action .410 that dad still has, I was stood at his side roost shooting as we do every year must of been 13 at the time and was so proud, dad never said other wise but I hope he was to.

* my first ever beaters shoot, i had been bought paper / card cased expensive carts for the occasion on the christmas and dad came and stood behind me as it was my first time and first drive i baged 4 of my best shots with my miruku 12g o&u, the birds were high and fast everyone comented after how well i did.

* The first time Me and Silver Pigeon shoot together.

* The first time out beating with Bryn our cairn when people teased at first ,but last drive of the day when the labs and spaniels couldnt find a pricked hen bryn came through and found it, the laughing & leg pulling ceased form then on :good:

It has to be my first (and only as it stands) Roe Buck, got it in Scotland and it was on my 3rd stalk in quickly fading light, there had been no success on the first 2 stalks and it was my last chance to get a buck. There was about 20-30 mins left of shootable light left when we spotted a buck and a doe about 200 yards out, stalked it to about 70 yards and took the shot and killed it clean. I will never forget that experience and intend to repeated again some time soon :good:

DSCF0007.jpg

George

Edited by groach1234