Recoil Pads

Smogs

Fair amount of pain resulting from years of Rugby & Football (goal keeper) to my shoulders, got a trusty Beratta o/u 686s, was wondering on purchasing a ventilated recoil pad to ease the distress..............anybody have any recommendations / suggestions, all greatly rec`d :hmm:

Also do you have to marry them exactly to your stock butt size (might be incorrect terminology but I know what I mean) or can they be cut down to fit :good:

I can recommend one of these http://www.avalon-shop.co.uk/index.php?mai...products_id=422 it just fits in the pocket of a skeet vest,they are really good.

If you do not want one a http://www.avalon-shop.co.uk/index.php?mai...products_id=477 will screw straight on. And they come in different lengths.

I have nothing to do with Avalon Guns.

Are you shooting clays? If so have a go with some Hull Comp X 21gram. Naff all in the way of recoil, through my old Baikal at least, and my scores gone up since I started using them! I can't see the point in going back to a heavier load now.

Goes against most of the literature Ive read & shooters ive spoken to , most peps & m8`s preach a minimum 28gm load, 6 or 7 shot, fibre wad cartridge for every clay shoot, hence the thoughts of a recoil pad :P

Are you using a choke, what clay discipline do you shoot ? With my limited knowledge I would expect the max range with a 21gm load to be at the most 20 - 30yds :devil:

That said, I`ll speak to a few people.......................thanks for the info

Goes against most of the literature Ive read & shooters ive spoken to , most peps & m8`s preach a minimum 28gm load, 6 or 7 shot, fibre wad cartridge for every clay shoot, hence the thoughts of a recoil pad :P

Are you using a choke, what clay discipline do you shoot ? With my limited knowledge I would expect the max range with a 21gm load to be at the most 20 - 30yds :devil:

That said, I`ll speak to a few people.......................thanks for the info

Have a look at this light loads

Are you shooting clays? If so have a go with some Hull Comp X 21gram. Naff all in the way of recoil, through my old Baikal at least, and my scores gone up since I started using them! I can't see the point in going back to a heavier load now.

would have to agree :good: great cart with little recoil and has gained alot of respect from all shooters for the way they pattern .... im one of these who like to try different carts to see what they are like .... inc black gold etc and i still go back to hill comp x 21's :yes:

just wish the fibre version was cheaper than it is ..... i can get plastic wads for £120 per 1000 but fibre are £135 per 1000 !!!! seems a big jump in price

Another idea - much simpler - is to try 21g cartridges. A couple of guys on my shoots use them - they shoot far better than the rest of us and they benefit from very light recoil and cheaper cartridges. The rest of us won't use anything less than 28g but can't get anywhere near their scores :look:

I'd also recommend seeing your GP. I put up with pain in my shoulder for years - like you blaming it on rugby - but it actually turned out to be something that was cleared up quite quickly after an MRI scan. Essentially it was an injury that required some assistance to heal.

Good luck,

Steve

Smogs,

I shoot an old Baikal o/u full and 1/2 choke. Sporting clays. :lol: )

Never found I needed much above 1/4 and 1/2 chokes with 21gm carts and quite often use cyl and 1/4 I think because they pattern much better ie a good even spread of pellets you can use a more open choke. If its a patchy pattern with clumping you need to tighten the chokes inho. I shoot DTL with 1/4 and 3/4 and if I point it in the correct direction I'll get the long one with the second barrel just before it hits the ground (how far is that on a DTL range I have no idea 50yrd? Everyone else in my club uses 1/2 and Full chokes and 28gm loads painful and a wast of money I reckon?

Thanks for all of the responses, they`ve just expanded the grey matter to a point of collapse :lol::P

The PDF on lighter loads defo opens the eyes for 21gm shot, at the minute ive got a load of old boxers stuffed onto my shoulder & I have to say it works a treat.

Probably be frowned on by the purists, but *** :P

No option to change choke on mine. It's a 25 yr old, fixed choke, double trigger jobbie. being left handed I just spent £35 to have the stock bent to suit me. Much better to shoot with now.

Yeah I realize can't say it will make a whole load of difference anyhow I always say chokes make inches of difference to the pattern and I usually miss by feet! I guess full chokes do give more range but ive never been good enough a shot to regularly hit 60 or 70 yrd birds anyway. In terms of live quarry I reckon if my half choke and 34gms of number 5s wont reach then i'd miss it anyway, (obviously I'd have a go at a longer clay)

Sounds a nice gun though I shoot leftie too :lol:

Edited by utectok

I use 3/8 3/8 with gamebore 21s - no prob breaking the longer birds - apart from my aim that is.

D