police dogs die in hot car

pegasus bridge

My buddy is a Dog Handler and left the dog in the car on a hot day, the dog was ok but a good member of the public reported it and he got kicked out of the dog section and lost a lot of pay :look: he is no longer a Sargent :look:

so I dont think they will hide it :hmm:

That's terrible. How can a professional dog handler make such a stupid mistake? I bet the lazy sod just couldn't be bothered to get it out and look after it! I don't care who it is, people like this need their backsides kicked!

Edited by njc110381

As most of you know I am not a great lover of our "public serving plods" but I cant help but think the dog handler of these dogs must be past himself over this, as no doubt he will have been very very attached to them, sad all round I think.

KW

• 7 months later...

He was given a six-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £2,500.

Johnson was not banned from looking after animals in the future

At noon, he had a meeting with his sergeant about his problems and it was not until nearly 1430 BST that he finally went to check on his dogs, seven hours later.

That say's it all really. You'd probably get more for nicking a coke can from the corner shop.

Very sad indeed. If these were two Police Dogs as reported then the Police Dog Handler really should have known better. When all is said and done that very same handler could well have reported a member of the public for doing exactly the same thing.

Even so with that said and done it is still a very sad and upsetting death for all concerned!

Edited by Frenchieboy

At about 1030 BST he planned to let his dogs out of the car, give them water and allow them to stretch their legs. But he became distracted again by a phone call about a missing person.

At noon, he had a meeting with his sergeant about his problems and it was not until nearly 1430 BST that he finally went to check on his dogs, seven hours later.

even if he did tend to them shouldnt be left alone for four hours anyway, let alone in a car, reading the article sounds like their used to it..

its a shame I think he should be banned from owning dogs :oops:

I dont understand how OCD had anything to do with it either :yes:

do you think he would do it again Shuck?

Its a tragic accident and I'd doubt he will work with dogs again in the force and it isn't an action of someone who is well and doing their job properly. The fact he was in discussing his illness hints that it isn't just an excuse, police take dogs in cars seriously hence they have vehicles equipped properly to deal with the heat just a shame he hadn't transferred them to an appropriate vehicle.

al4x I meant in his statement, it sounds like he is used to leaving the dogs alone for long periods when he explains of his intentions to feed them and proceed to leave them for 4 hours.

would he do it again.

i doubt he'd leave dogs in a hot car for 7 hours again, but with regards to his original routine who's to say?

Police dogs are used to being in vehicles though as they aren't needed all the time yet need to be ready to respond fast hence are in the car. No different to being in a kennel except their environment usually has aircon. He just forgot for some reason they weren't in an airconditioned car, unforgiveable yes and I'm sure he will have taken it hard as any of us would especially as he used to live with his dogs and work with them.