Best time of day?

Jason13

yeh, and then on the day you go, they'll change their habits!!!

I went out with a mate yesterday, we planned a long day with a big bag, but **** law came into play, and we got held up by a variety of things, so we didnt get out until two hours after we planned.

Then, what do you know? Nothing.

We shot 11 birds between us all day! they just were not decoying at all!

We had a good day last week, with 44 and a crow.

Irritatingly though, we were shooting much better yesterday, and took those 11 in 16 shots, compared with 45 in a lot more!

Generally you will find that it all depends on the weather, and availabity of food.

On cold winters morning they will be hungry from roosting all night and will feed first light for a couple of hours,. then sit up for a couple of hours to digest before fueling back up. When food is plentifull they will feed at their leisure, stopping to digest when full. Got to have a look to see what their upto first!!

Paul in North Lincs

Jason

I used to be a first light man and had some good days. However a combination of experience and advice from old pros made me change my habits and I am now convinced that a late morning/early afternoon start is generally the best. It gives you more oportunity for reconnaissaance and allows you to see how intent they are on a particular field. Yes you can get some good sport early morning but I have found that it can spoil the rest of the day too.

Regards

P

I have found over the years that it depends on the food source.

on rape for example which is low in nutrients and quickly digested the birds will tend to graze throughout the day.

On seed or grain they will often gorge early morning and sit up for the rest of the day digesting especially if its warm.

During breeding peaks in late summer birds feeding young will feed throughout the day.

The best shooting Ive had in recent years has been either very early morning or early evening.

• 1 month later...

Well those answers made it much clearer! :ernyha:

It looks like it is a case of doing your homework on your particular patch.

Being an air rifle man I was thinking about doing a bit more pigeon work. It would make a nice change from rabbits. However it is going to be much harde work than with a shot gun!

When do you think is the best time of day to get set up, i usually get out for about 9am and get set set up by about 10:30am to 11:00am.

But i've been told to get out for about 6:00am, what are your opinions?

Best ask the pigeons :ernyha: Field craft should be part (sometimes the biggest part) of pigeon shooting. Know your birds, where they are, when they'll be there. I've a field at the meoment, harvested peas, that has hundreds of birds on it most of the day (for over a week) but the best time is around 1500, 1600, 1700 hrs when the flight's constant. Do your homework.

i used to leave the field about half five six depending on what time of year it is because of light reasons and when the pigeons stopped feeding but one day when i was decoying with my uncle, and we were goin to go home at about 4 because it had been slow all day and the pigeons had found some peas the next field over, so we decided to put out all the decoys we had which was about 40 plus about 30 real birds we had shot we then found that the bird coming back to roost for the evening were coying in even though they had a full crop i think this may have been because pigeons will always try to join a flock for safety in numbers reasons but we ended up finishing shooting at about 8 with 147 pigeons and a couple of rooks

• 3 weeks later...