harvesting rape

stuppers

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David, as you may recall me mentioning, we ditched out Quadtrac about 18 months ago, as we had incessant problems with it. They are awesome machines though, but our 585hp Challenger seems a much more reliable beast. It also has a bit more grunt than your red monster (which it appears you have fitted with JD Starfire?):

5b.jpg

And two of these bad boys (both are pivot cab with front linkage, meaning that they are readily suited to mowing and odd forestry jobs when not required for cultivation):

Landschaft_Hof_007.JPG

They are stock photos from Google, as I don't have any photos of our kit on the computer I am working on today.

Edward, I learnt to drive on a 35, and have many fond memories of it. The tractor is still going strong.

Edited by Baldrick

Evening all, the samples are at last away and waiting for the results. I had heard that proteins are generally low this year, with the exception of one chap who had low proteins last year so gave it a cwt of N PLUS nufol, protein at 15.5%, pity he won't get extra for the 2.5% over.

I see the prices are right down the drain at the mo, it will give the ethanol plants the chance to fill their books for a while with cheap feedstock.

Started planting the rape today, be done by lunch on Monday. Going a treat until a puncture on the press meant a break to repair. Sticking with Castille and cabernet as they done exceptionally well this year at 37cwt/acre (dried and over a weighbridge). They will have to get better yielding holl varieties for me to have a go with them.

Keep at it Baldrick the end is nigh as they say.

I hope it stays dry for you but by Tuesday I will not be upset if it rains in Kent.

Is Ollie's book any good? I must say I have always wished someone would silence him, he does more harm than good when he gets in the public eye.

David, as you may recall me mentioning, we ditched out Quadtrac about 18 months ago, as we had incessant problems with it. They are awesome machines though, but our 585hp Challenger seems a much more reliable beast. It also has a bit more grunt than your red monster (which it appears you have fitted with JD Starfire?):

5b.jpg

And two of these bad boys (both are pivot cab with front linkage, meaning that they are readily suited to mowing and odd forestry jobs when not required for cultivation):

Landschaft_Hof_007.JPG

They are stock photos from Google, as I don't have any photos of our kit on the computer I am working on today.

Edward, I learnt to drive on a 35, and have many fond memories of it. The tractor is still going strong.

i do love the cats,they pull hard and go all day,the wife loves two drive them.

Cricky those are some beasty tractors there :rolleyes:

Whats the xerion like??

We finished our wheat today, just the beans and spring rape left (niether will take long as they are all **** ??? ) oh and a lull then the maize in november :lol:

The 35 was my dads first tractor, and was my first, still in use for small area topping and carting the chaff from the cleaner :good:

EDIT:

These are my harvest pics HERE

Edited by EdwardtheloneShooter

Cricky those are some beasty tractors there :rolleyes:

Whats the xerion like??

We finished our wheat today, just the beans and spring rape left (niether will take long as they are all **** ??? ) oh and a lull then the maize in november :lol:

The 35 was my dads first tractor, and was my first, still in use for small area topping and carting the chaff from the cleaner :good:

EDIT:

i do like your pics of the harvest,nice set up there now you can go out and shoot some pigeons.

Is Ollie's book any good? I must say I have always wished someone would silence him, he does more harm than good when he gets in the public eye.

I'm halfway through the book now, having reached his 1995 and 1996 harvest accounts. I now appreciate quite why people dislike Ollie Wally in the way they do: this current chapter talks about him flogging 1,000ac to free up some cash, a £200,000 cheque from Brussels and a whinge about commodity prices. I gather that Walston was featured on the BBC's 'Any Questions' on Thursday, but that he didn't contribute much. There are much more grounded, humble and hard-working farmers that would make better ambassadors for the industry. Essex's own Guy Smith is a prime example.

You're welcome to borrow the book.

Whats the xerion like??

EDIT:

The Xerions are unbelievably good, in my opinion the best wheeled tractors that money can buy (even better than the Fendt Vario). 380hp on tap, 4-wheel steering (including crab steer), front linkage, an amazing pivoting cab, the same clear and capable CEBIS control system used on Lexions, the least wheel slip of any wheeled tractor. I could go on. We bought them for their manoeuvrability and versatility, and it's paid dividends for both tillage, mowing and forestry work.

Your photos are great, Edward. I love the Fastrac 2150. One question though: your JD 1075 combine is registered on a Q plate - was it stolen and recovered?

The Xerions are unbelievably good, in my opinion the best wheeled tractors that money can buy (even better than the Fendt Vario). 380hp on tap, 4-wheel steering (including crab steer), front linkage, an amazing pivoting cab, the same clear and capable CEBIS control system used on Lexions, the least wheel slip of any wheeled tractor. I could go on. We bought them for their manoeuvrability and versatility, and it's paid dividends for both tillage, mowing and forestry work.

Your photos are great, Edward. I love the Fastrac 2150. One question though: your JD 1075 combine is registered on a Q plate - was it stolen and recovered?

I heard rumors of a 400+ hp xerion :rolleyes:

Can you turn the cab as you are going along or do you have to stop :lol::good:

Thanks, I think the paperwork was lost and it was reregisterd, the other one is C reg, so it must be at least an A reg ???

You do indeed have to be careful, Mossy. It's not a machine for the inexperienced.

You may all have heard about the 'Combines 4 Charity' world record attempt? It happened yesterday in Ireland, with 175 combines cutting a single field. The scale of the operation is remarkable:

5b.jpg

Landschaft_Hof_007.JPG

Yeah I do remember mate, That Challenger is a nice tractor to use, the farm next to me brought one after harvest last year and the guy who drives it loves it.

We have had no trouble with our Quad tracks and they have been going well since we brought them and they are our main tractors on the farm for doing our ground work.

Thanks for the offer of the book, maybe in the winter when I am bored.

How wet was the ground where all those combines were? I can't quite believe how different it has been here locally to how it has been for the rest of the country.

Funny how a thread called harvesting rape is back to planting it already.

One field left to do tomorrow then the sprayer is going on to do a pre em dose of springbok.

Badshot, I finished Walston's book yesterday, while I spent the afternoon in A&E (got knocked off my bike). It is actually a dismal book, and I now understand why Walston is held in such little regard.

I don't know anything more about the 175 combines in that one field, but it looked a very arid day. There were a disproportionate amount of Lexions in amongst that fleet though.

We haven't yet broken out the sprayer.

:yes: About the book, hope there was no permanent damage from the accident though.

The rape is now all in the ground, friday evenings planting is chitting nicely, all had a dose of enzo slug pellets (can't believe how many dead ones there are after one evening) and will finish off the pre em spray in the morning.

Still plenty of combines going in the area on wheat, my beans are not fit yet and neither is the linseed in the area.

No lasting damage sustained from the bike smash, but I am unable to drive for at least a fortnight, which means I am relieved of corn-bitch and relief combining duties.

We too are waiting on the beans, which we will move on to this week. It looks a pretty healthy crop, and the sugar beet has certainly thrived with the recent rain.

You do indeed have to be careful, Mossy. It's not a machine for the inexperienced.

You may all have heard about the 'Combines 4 Charity' world record attempt? It happened yesterday in Ireland, with 175 combines cutting a single field. The scale of the operation is remarkable:

Do you know what Baldrick , that video made me quite amourous .

Harnser .

Finished the wheat, beans and the spring rape on our main farm, just got the other two farms left to do, and that wont take long as most of it was killed by dodgy pre-em spray :yes:

and guess what......... not a pigeon in sight anywhere just nowt :yes:

Combines4Charity, now that would be embarissing if you were at the front and blocked :lol:

Do you know what Baldrick , that video made me quite amourous .

Harnser .

You're not the first person who has said that. Perhaps it really is Normal For Norfolk to get sexually excited by farm machinery?

and guess what......... not a pigeon in sight anywhere just nowt :yes:

I haven't seen any flocks of pigeons for weeks now. There have been no more than a handful on drilled OSR, and a few on fresh wheat stubble, but not the squadrons that I had hoped for.

David,

Do you use chaser bins on the acreage you are cutting? A local farming company cropping about 6,000ac is this year using one chaser bin (approx 25 tonne, fully fitted with augers), supported by 4 trailers. However, those trailers are not being pulled by 50kph tractors (let alone Fastracs) and the chaser is only unloading into lorries 50% of the time - I am struggling to see why they bothered with the concept.

Edited by Baldrick