harvesting rape

stuppers

My main client has a JD 9530T in its fleet, bought last year. It is a massive thing - much bulkier than a Challenger. It has performed superbly, and like you say keeps the fleet completely green and yellow for the sake of servicing contracts. That 9530T is wheeled out at all the agricultural shows, as everyone is bored of Challengers now. They thrash it though - I've never seen a Simba pulled so quickly. I have yet to see a 9630T in Essex.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At last. Finished the spring barley and back on to wheat. One little cloud is the nice man from the RPA who rang yesterday afternoon wanting to come and do a sheep inspection this morning; he offered to come before we started with the combine, but happily deferred until tomorrow when I pointed out that we would be doing a road move at 0530, so it would have to be in the dark... Glad that they are so in touch with farming work patterns.

Lorrrvely bits 'o kit. Think I need to pack in university and work for you chaps. :good: I'd love to drive those beasts

They only use small stuff round here. Little New Holland tractors and old TX65's. Still sit and watch them go like when I was 5 though :hmm:

I still have the same fascination with farm machinery that I did when I was 5. Just look at Harnser - he's struggling to fight unnatural urges when confronted by tractors, and he's in his sixties.

Credit where it is due, our inspection was specific thorough and detailed, but he did not demand unnecessary leaping through hoops and was gone in 90 minutes.... makes you wonder what they were looking for...

Ah well, back to looking for gaps in the rain. Down to a day's wheat on one farm, and 4 here; spring beans and spring rape not ready yet. To hear some of you discussing a drought season is almost like a different year!

Honestly lapwing it is so dry here at the moment that there isn't going to be much rape up for a while. Some of mine is growing but only because it was planted in one pass on the cultivator and pressed and rolled within a few hours. The surface of some of my bean fields resembles talcum powder at the minute because it is a sandy loam (on the hills) and when driven over the surface becomes dust.

We have once again missed the inch of rain forecast for today, when it does rain there will be a lot of work to do.

David,

Here's a sneak preview of the new Claas Xerion, spotted on the web today (it's reputed to have a Cat C13 500hp engine). It looks oddly Fendt-like, I grant you, but that will make our existing 380hp Xerions appear very weedy indeed. The front linkage is a mess though, and Claas has obviously chucked the reversible cab:

http://www.farmphoto.com/thread.aspx?mid=760810

David,

Here's a sneak preview of the new Claas Xerion, spotted on the web today (it's reputed to have a Cat C13 500hp engine). It looks oddly Fendt-like, I grant you, but that will make our existing 380hp Xerions appear very weedy indeed. The front linkage is a mess though, and Claas has obviously chucked the reversible cab:

God , those pictures made an old man tremble with lust . I must stop reading this thread its making me very weak . Stop him Zap .

Harnser .

David,

Looks like they have re-modeled the bonnet in the same style as the Axion :oops:

Twill be a fair beasty when its finshed, I expect it will be released at Agritechnica :ermm:

Looks like they have re-modeled the bonnet in the same style as the Axion :oops:

Twill be a fair beasty when its finshed, I expect it will be released at Agritechnica :ermm:

Don't mention Agritechnica in Harnser's presence! It will be the death of him.

I don't expect a buyer would see change out of £250,000 for that machine...

I am sorry but did I really read drilling wheat on the 27th August? ;)

(gone off muttering to oneself about how it used to be in the good old days)

Never did have a grey fergie but the 35 only got sold a couple of months ago. :no:

Hell we havent even finished the spring rape yet :/

Shame on you,owner of 2 35s (a 3 and a 4 cylinder) 1 oridinal TE-20 with the early type engine and a TED-20 petrol/tvo and the remains of for 3000 skid unit :D

Edited by EdwardtheloneShooter

Still got a "20" and a 35x, but dont get to use them much nowadays. (Proobably 25 years since the 20 moved come to think of it)

We get by with smaller kit than you big arable boys; still using the plough & press on a good half of our acreage, and only got a 3m drill. Ever heard the tale of the tortoise and the hare? More to the point it is not cost effective for us to re-equip with high hp min till kit on a relatively small acreage (only 500 arable) so have to be content with dribbling over the fence at the quadtracks & 30' headers! Our tractors are around the 125-150 bracket so not too heavy, and can still do the forage jobs, pull the tree planter etc.

I seem to remember the "good old days" involved draughty noizy canvas cabs, no heater, no radio, no airsprung seat, and kit on the back so small that progress over anything bigger than a 10 acre field took an age....so no nostalgia here.

PS Baldrick we eat our oxen nowadays. No pto shaft or 12v feed for all the modern electrics.