harvesting rape

stuppers

Pretty much all the wheat is finished in these parts... stubbles seem to hang about for no more than a couple of days before the plough pulls into the yard <_<

Pea's and field beans still to go.. although they were sprayed last week... :lol:

Not a pigeon in sight... so we're concentrating on the foxing at the mo.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

Do you use chaser bins on the acreage you are cutting? A local farming company cropping about 6,000ac is this year using one chaser bin (approx 25 tonne, fully fitted with augers), supported by 4 trailers. However, those trailers are not being pulled by 50kpm tractors (let alone Fastracs) and the chaser is only unloading into lorries 50% of the time - I am struggling to see why they bothered with the concept.

Your talking dirty again Baldrick .

Harnser .

Sorry, Harnser, I just can't help it.

I reckon we will push on here until midnight tonight (or as late as we can go ontil the moisture rises), as we have an awful lots more wheat and beans to come in. We'll have three Lexion 580s working tomorrow, in an effort to grab all we can over the next 36 hours.

A mate of mine who is trialling Claas's new 12-metre header on his tracked Lexion 580+ has reported back today, saying he's unhappy with the stubble it's leaving. The header is so wide that on an undulating field, he is getting huge variations in the height of the stubble remaining. A narrower header would hug the contours far better.

David,

Do you use chaser bins on the acreage you are cutting? A local farming company cropping about 6,000ac is this year using one chaser bin (approx 25 tonne, fully fitted with augers), supported by 4 trailers. However, those trailers are not being pulled by 50kph tractors (let alone Fastracs) and the chaser is only unloading into lorries 50% of the time - I am struggling to see why they bothered with the concept.

No mate, we use one 20 tonne, four 18 tonne and two 16 tonne Bailey trailers with john deere 7930's and 6930's but we dont need them all, we only use them all when we are travelling over a long distance or when we had the new holland and the JD together.

We did try using a chaser bin but we did not see the point in it, we find it easier just to use the baileys <_<

Edited by MerseaDavid

No mate, we use one 20 tonne, four 18 tonne and two 16 tonne Bailey trailers with john deere 7930's and 6930's but we dont need them all, we only use them all when we are travelling over a long distance or when we had the new holland and the JD together.

We did try using a chaser bin but we did not see the point in it, we find it easier just to use the baileys <_<

Great minds think alike, then. Unless you're using one of the monster chaser bins that the Yanks or Aussies use, I can't see the point. There have been a few people debating chaser bins on BFF recently, hence my question.

That's still quite a fleet of trailers you have, however. Ours peak out at 18t.

Great minds think alike, then. Unless you're using one of the monster chaser bins that the Yanks or Aussies use, I can't see the point. There have been a few people debating chaser bins on BFF recently, hence my question.

That's still quite a fleet of trailers you have, however. Ours peak out at 18t.

Yeah indeed lol <_<

We will be getting 2 more 20 tonne Baileys next year and getting rid of the 16 tonne baileys

We need to replace two trailers this year, and I think we'll probably stick with Bailey.

I saw a farmer up near Stansted using a Quadtrac for carting work (22t trailer) this afternoon. Possibly not the most economical use of 530hp, but it sure looked impressive. Perhaps he was trying to psych out his neighbour?

And I haven't seen more than a handful of pigeons all day.

We did use our quad tracks on a couple of our 18 tonne Baileys once because a couple of our fields were too damp and on a steep hill and the other tractors could not get up.

By next year we will probably be using only 7930's on the grain Carting because we found the 6930's were struggling abit this year.

By next year we will probably be using only 7930's on the grain Carting because we found the 6930's were struggling abit this year.

Is your land very undulating? I'm surprised you struggle with the 6930s, in what is relatively speaking a dry harvest. We often use the Xerions for carting, because they offer grunt and speed.

most of our land if flat but we have got a few fields that are quite hilly and steep in places especially when the Trailers are fully loaded the 6930's just seem to struggle. :D

Those Xerions sound quite nice, I would not mind having ago in one of those some time.

Edited by MerseaDavid

Perhaps you need a happy medium between the Quadtrac and the 6930, but with a little more versatility than the 7930? How about an 8530, or a Fendt Vario 936? Both would make light work of a 22t trailer, but not bleed your diesel reserves dry. I have a bit of a weakness for the 8530 though, based purely on its looks.

Here is a pic my boss took of 1 of our 18 tonne Bailey trailers being pulled by a JD 6930 with me in the combine :good:

lastofharvest276.jpg

That looks like a 6920 by the bonnet and grill :D

We pull a 14ton with a 135hp 6900 no probs, and the farm I worked on in france (at the tender age of 14 with no spoken french) they had a 6900 on and 18t jean-til trailer with steering axle and all the gubbins, that had no problem but It was very very flat, so any hill and it would have struggled.

What about one o' em fastrac 7230, full suspension, cummins engine, 70k :good:

Perhaps you need a happy medium between the Quadtrac and the 6930, but with a little more versatility than the 7930? How about an 8530, or a Fendt Vario 936? Both would make light work of a 22t trailer, but not bleed your diesel reserves dry. I have a bit of a weakness for the 8530 though, based purely on its looks.

The 7930's do the job nicely :good:

I do like the 8530's, they look good and work well but they are a bit too big for what we want.

We have been using the 7930's since last year and they work great for all jobs that we want so we shall stick with them

That looks like a 6920 by the bonnet and grill :D

We pull a 14ton with a 135hp 6900 no probs, and the farm I worked on in france (at the tender age of 14 with no spoken french) they had a 6900 on and 18t jean-til trailer with steering axle and all the gubbins, that had no problem but It was very very flat, so any hill and it would have struggled.

What about one o' em fastrac 7230, full suspension, cummins engine, 70k :good:

Spot on mate :good:

It is our only 6920s left out of 4 that we used to have. John who drives it prefers it to the 6930's and I found that it seems to have more grunt than the 6930 :angry:

Your right there mate :good:

They had a John Deere 6930 in the same field and the challenger just left it behind so the JD went on to another field ;)

It is a nice machine and it was only on a small field so that is why it only had the small plough on it, they have got a 10 furrow plough but they have not used it yet

Most of their fields are quite small so I was surprised that they had a machine like that :lol:

We might get them out on one of our large fields and put it up against our Quad Track and see which is better <_<

Edited by MerseaDavid

Your right there mate :good:

They had a John Deere 6930 in the same field and the challenger just left it behind so the JD went on to another field ;)

It is a nice machine and it was only on a small field so that is why it only had the small plough on it, they have got a 10 furrow plough but they have not used it yet

Most of their fields are quite small so I was surprised that they had a machine like that :lol:

We might get them out on one of our large fields and put it up against our Quad Track and see which is better <_<

We run a 12-furrow Kverneland on the Challenger (ours lacks the two packer rolers on out-riggers). I would say it's horses for courses between the Challenger and Quadtrac: we definitely get less slip with the Challenger than we did with the Quadtrac, but at the expense of greater headland damage and track wear.

There is a tasty JD 6520 on stocks in this week's FW classifieds - a blend of the Quadtrac's versatility with JD's reliability?

Well we might be getting an 8530t and a 9030 on demo next week or the week after because one of our quad tracks is getting abit old for us and if the JD is any good then we shall have one of them but if not then we shall go for a more powerfull quad track (Quadtrac 535).

I would like to see a 9630t in action but they are a rare beast.

Both our neighbour use challenger (Class and CAT) and they said we could try them out aswell so it should be interesting to see the difference between them all.

We would like to go with John Deere mostly because nearly all our tractor are from them so it would be easier.

Edited by MerseaDavid