harvesting rape

stuppers

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke today to a friend who farms up in Angus, who reckons he will have to disc in at least 300ac of winter wheat, that has been destroyed by torrential and near-constant rain. I gather a lot of farmers north of the border are similarly concerned. By contrast I'm glad we've had a spot of rain down here, as it's made cultivation work easier and boosted the chances of good establishment.

I haven't seen any OSR still left to cut on my travels around N Essex, but there are still patches of wheat left to come in.

We are hoping to get on the wheat again tomorrow; down to a day or so on it, then beans & spring osr next week. Saw 4 foxes in the last field, but they all sneaked out one corner; time for the lamp when we finally get done combining.

I have been trying to figure out how to put up a picture for Baldrick's benefit, but my screen looks different to the one on the "how to" bit of this site... any suggestions as I dont seem to get the "browse" section to start with?

That self-loading bale-fuelled burner sounds interesting, but I don't fancy having to store 700 bales of OSR straw, and spend time in the telehandler to keep the system topped up.

Whilst I was out last night dealing with yet more marauding didds last night, I noticed that many other local farmers were also out discing their rape stubble.

Must have some size of hoose if you need 700 bales to heat it?

Commercial game shooting is pretty much incompatible with intensive arable farming, from my perspective. I have had a few disputes about vermin control with jumped-up syndicate chairmen, who fail to realise that their interests are significantly less important than the farming operations.

Your not the only one mate, I have had many arguments with the head keeper on our land and it nearly got to the stage that we were going to kick the shoot off and not have any shoots on the farm, but he will allow some shooting now just to keep the birds off the rape.

I am going to have a word with my mate to try and get some shooting on his rape so fingers crossed.

Excellent photos once again, David, but that is only the baby Challenger, David - it's not the 600hp, Quadtrac-killing Challenger MT875 that we have. Take a trip in the big Challenger, and you will find that the difference between the red and yellow machines starts to become very slim indeed.