Your round Mr fox

Hi all,

Yts, don and i were out after rabbits on wednesday. After discussing routes and safe lines of fire were got dropped off at different locations to begin our evening assault on the bunny population.

The area i am in was faily alive with rabbits 2 weeks ago and hopes were high as i climbed the gate and shot bunny No1 from within 50yds of it. However as i approached the woodland fringe that the bunnies exit from in the evening i could see from 200yds out that something was up...... no bunnies out at all. I was stalking very carefully as the wind was swirling round the hedgerow i was using to mask my approach and i was glassing the area when the reason for the bunny vanishing act popped into view.... Mr fox has beaten me to the area.

Good grief of all the places to be in for a fox to pop into view, the wind is wrong, only got the .22 rimmy, but at least i am in cover as i deploy the bipod and make ready. The fox popped back into the woodland fringe as i assessed the situation. If the fox follows the hedgerow to the call the game will be up as it will scent me, if it peels left i will get away with it as the wind is blowing left to right and swirling on the hedge. Got the rimmy so will have to get him in close. There is a depression in the ground in front of me that starts 80yds away and comes up 40yds away i will not be able to see his last 40yds of approach but when he gets there he is in easy range.

Gave a few squeaks and out he came and looked straight at me.... here we go....gave a high pitched squeal and thank you lord! he peels left and comes straight it me. He quickly reaches the depression in the ground and i set the riflescope into the area he should pop into view at so i am ready. At 40yds he comes back into view and slams the brakes on and looks head on at me. It is too late..... the crosshairs are between his eyes and the sako shoots 1 hole groups at this range THUMP! and he drops without so much as a twitch.

A dog fox in his prime alas that had been marauding the sheep stocks in the spring that had proved too wily to lamp we lamped a fox in this area that as soon as the lamp went on WHOOSH away he went so hopefully this was him.

P7220117.jpg

Thanks for reading, rgds

GSAW

I outshot him 8:1 as usual :good::good: I thought that he wouldn't mention that.

Yts only got 2 as he was stalking downwind :lol::lol: Plus he was using lots of mossie repellant :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don

Ahem!!!! as everyone knows a bonus fox whilst out bunnybashing is worth 20 bunnies so with that taken into account i wupped mr quackers as usual.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :P

looks like my anschutz

The rifle is a Sako 0.22 varmint with a chopped down barrel and the stock reduced to lighten the weight.

It's probably the most accurate rimmy that I've ever owned (and I must have had at least 20 in my time)

Puts virtually one hole groups at 50 yards with Eley subs.

It's a bit heavy for me now since I had a trapped sciatic nerve last year, and Gonna has been gasping to have it off me for £50 quid or so.....

He's probably the best freehand shot that I've ever come across (all down to my coaching...), although Magman would give him a run for his money.

I'll probably replace it with an Annie thumbhole as I've got one in hmr, and that's bloody good.

Don