Re PROPER CARTRIDGES

Hi Guys and Gals,

After reading through the comments on" PROPER CARTRIDGES" I telephoned George Young the manafacturer of these cartridges (found on their website) and spoke to him about his cartridges to see whether he did 16 bore unfortunately he doesnt. I have read and heard alot about these cartridges and the conversation got around to the CIP approval system. After speaking to George ,he absolutely assures me,that it is not mandatory in any legal way or form,for them to be CIP approved.

It is only necessary to be CIP approved, If he or she wishes to export their cartridges abroad.

He also states that there is no law to make you to get your cartridges legally tested, everything is purely voluntary. George has assured me that he has submitted all of his brands of cartridges,to the BIRMINGHAM PROOF HOUSE at a fee of £55 per 10 cartridges tested.

He also informs me that he has SABRE ballistic equipment installed in his factory which is more or less identical as to what is used in the BIRMINGHAM PROOF HOUSE and he bought it for that reason.

However George is selling direct to the end user cutting out the middle man ,which I suppose the dealers dont like.

So therefore dont worry ,the cartridges have been properly tested and there is absolutely no need for anybody to worry about CIP.and if you are still in doubt you can always ring the Birmingham Proof House.

That said, Does anyone know where I can get shot, powder and primers for 16bore also dies etc for a MEC 400 :yes:

Stour-boy

Funny thing that he told you that. I rang him about 5 weeks ago and he told me he would not be interested in selling me shells in N.Ireland as he was trying to do a deal with two gunshops over here.Maybe he just sells to the shooters direct in England?.Then again if they are not CIP approved the shops here could not sell into the Republic?

Pat

I don't know about him selling direct to the shooters there are a few places round here where you can go and buy them,

i can think of a couple of clay grounds and at least one garden centre... :yes::good:

He tried to get the bloke who owns the clay ground i shoot on to sell them and was turned down..!!! :)

any chance of a idea on price as the web site says live from 1st June. think we have gone past that date.

i only buy a 1k at a time as i have no room for more than that so was wondering if its worth buying number 6 30g with postage from him or just going local.

thanks

Phil

any chance of a idea on price as the web site says live from 1st June. think we have gone past that date.

i only buy a 1k at a time as i have no room for more than that so was wondering if its worth buying number 6 30g with postage from him or just going local.

thanks

Phil

this gives you an idea, http://www.bywellshootingground.com/subcat...d=8&sid=234

I use his proper pigeon ( I get them direct but a number of places do stock them locally)

not the cheapest carts by any means but they are as good as you can get I like them and now wont use anything else.

KW

• 1 month later...

Not sure "proper cartidges" is correct, my understanding is it is against the UK and EU law to sell cartridges that do not carry the CIP mark, even the Birmingham proof house states:-

Proof Testing of Ammunition and Explosive Powders for the Trade and Home Loader.

Under the rules imposed on Proof Houses in Europe and other countries, set by our governing body, the Commission Internationale Permanente (CIP).

Headquarters in Liege, Belgium - cartridge manufacturers are required to provide samples of their products to be subjected to test by the Proof House and, if satisfactory, may carry the Proof House and CIP mark (see right).

Although the same rules do not apply to home loaders, given that their products cannot be legally sold, in the interests of safety the Proof House affords those parties opportunity to batch test their ammunition to ensure that the associated breech pressures and velocities are within acceptable standards. By so doing it removes the potential for weapons being damaged, thereby injuring the user or, even worse, innocent bystanders. Previous tests of this nature in the past have indicated the poor standards adopted by such parties and the lack of uniformity between rounds of ammunition.

Similar tests can be made on various powder batches or powder types.

The ammunition is tested in the Proof House Laboratory using modern test guns which are linked to a computer to provide graphical presentations.

Please write, fax or telephone for details.