Cheese

Markio

Top tip, if you want the best scum of the earth cheese and ham toasty then get some mattersons's smoked pigs ears sausage sliced up and melt applewood smoked cheddar on top. Chuffin' lovely.

That is lunch sorted, Cheers Mark.

I quite like any cheese but the stronger the better. It has to burn your mouth, anything else is Dairylea. Mrs LV got some cracking cheeses from Costco for a shoot lunch last season, the brie was superb. As was Flashman's ability to open a tin of soup and heat it up. :yes:

St Agur, vingnotte and a blue brie after a meal, preferably with a nice port. Wensleydale with fruit cake or just raisens, a good strong cheddar for cheese sauce and sandwiches. I would not turn down a good mature stilton either.

I prefer my cheese served with proper bread, something nice and crusty with a soft doughy middle.

ft

As was Flashman's ability to open a tin of soup and heat it up. :yes:

I thank you.

Re. cheese, anybody passing should stop in at Paxton & Whitfield in Jermyn Street: providing you speak English and don't look/smell like a tramp, a good supply of free samples are on offer. I'm a fan of Montgomery cheddar, Manchego and a superb semi soft goat's cheese I recently tasted in Nice but whose name escaped me in a blurr of Bellet and port.

Edited by Flashman

As others have said - different cheeses to suit the moment.

If I'm having a cheese board then some blue (stilton, st.Agur, dolcelatte, Gorgonzola, etc), some ripe camembert or brie (nice and runny but not too much or I find it gets that ammonia twang to it), a nice mature cheddar. We generally have it with some dry cured sausage (normally chorizo), home made chutney (tomato of some sort or beetroot) and pate (if the other half hasn't polished it off with the dog).

When I'm cooking on a saturday night and doing either pasta or risotto then I'll shave a few generous slices off the parmesan to wash down with my red wine (just don't let on to the other half I do that).

A nice strong cheddar to have on toast or with ham in a croissant.

The best soft french cheese I've had is Delice de Borgogne. A restaurant we go to serve it. Started doing it after I had a moan about their cheeseboard. Most restaurants normally do the 3 usual suspects (cheddar, brie & stilton) and this one time it really got on my wick. I suggested that for a restaurant of their quality they should do a "cheese trolley" where the punter could choose from a selection of cheeses. And what do you know? He took my advice and went with it. Top man is Graham (Beeches restaurant, Mereworth). Their staff are also top notch (Especially Carmello, Jacko, Helen & the chef).

This is a cheese shop? ah classic Python

There is a list as long as that sketch of my favourite cheeses including Qu'elle horreur french cheeses like Brie, Roule and Boursin

But the three best of the best are

Stilton which has reached the creamy perfection and started to soften,

A mature bitey Cheddar

and Double Gloucester with Chives.

Unless it is for toasting then Crumbley Lancashire or Cheshire .

Oooh all that talk I've come over all esurient.

Derek

I spent the summer working in a stilton dairy - put me off cheese for a while.

Then the addiction came back with a vengence. Just tucked into some stilton and a lovely ewe's milk cheese that I can't remember the name of (must have been the cider I was drinking at the game fair).

Stinking Bishop - only found it for sale in Comestibles in the Bail Gate area of Lincoln - smell makes me want to puke, but the taste is amazing!

Aye, that what they say about my Limburger. Granddad learned me how to like the stuff? :good:

I've heard that Limburger is pretty stinky. Is it worse than the rind on proper Gorgonzola? Got that on my hands working in an Italian restaurant as a teenager, it was like dog muck....

Oddly though, I still love Gorgonzola, just not the rind!

ZB

They had a mexican chees on market kitchen the other day. It had maggots crawling throught the middle of it - on of the presenters tried it and looked like he was going to pass out. Not from the thought of eating maggots it was the strength of taste of the cheese.

That is some strong cheese. :yes: