honest answers please

busdennis

I think the important thing here is not to be disheartened !!, yes if we are all honest weve blanked more than once with a few small exceptions, the important thing for me is that i'm out of the house doin something i love which is shooting, out last night with my son and missed 5 yes 5 !! came home with nowt.

I read the threads on here with 100 plus bags with envious eyes but sorry to say i dont get that kind of action on my permissions, the bonus for you and i over some others is at least we have somewhere to go and put our hobby to the test, so dont panick and keep trying and whilst your looking keep an eye on other fields and try to extend your permissions and sure enough things will get better. My best single day is 14 pigeons, which i was pretty impressed with, normally i can change tact if theres no pigeon action and venture into the woods for some squirrels or crows, so keep going.

Andy.

There is no such thing as an average day .

Watch your fields learn the flight lines at different times of day

The best day I have ever had on pigeon was 211

The best day on crows was 176

They were bumper days they dont happen often .

But only when all things come good and you pick the right field at the right time .

Dont get me wrong you can pick the best spot on your permission but if its safer on the farm next door then thats where they will be.

I get out about 1full day and 2 evening a week

We do have times when we come home with nowt . Dont get disheartened get out there and enjoy a walk with your gun its amasing what opportunities can present themselves

It happens to all of us. I took stealthstalker out on a pigeon shooting day with the Shooting Times, had everything ready all the right stuff and we shot 2... Didn't exactly make the article a good read!

Is it a case that you're hitting everything that comes by or are you seeing loads and shooting too early? Reason for asking is because I used to not wait long enough for pigeons to come in, which basically meant I was taking long pop shots at them...

Just keep going and you will succeed eventually. When i first started shooting pigeons seriously i would be lucky if i shot 10 in a 12 hour session- there just wasn't enough pigeons around the small piece of land i had to shoot at that time. Now, several years on, i have a fair few farms to shoot on and i am a little disappointed if i shoot less than 30 or so in an outing. We all have bad days though, though its been a few years since i've had a blank.Perseverance is the key.

I think everyone at some point has dissapointing days and can be frustrating when you've done everything right,but thats life.I went out today on recently harvested wheat and the farmer said that 2 days ago the field was attracting woodies,but what did i end up with after 5 hours-1 woodie and 6 crows! :good:

Its very rare for me to have a blank day for the simple reason I search for the pigeons sometimes for hours and if i do not find a reasonable feed I do not set up. If i set up in the wrong field then after an hour or so , its up stumps and search for another field. Of course there will be the odd day when things do not go right and you blank, but with good field work these days are very few and far between. Last winter was not a very good one , but I shot pigeons on about 50 days last winter with an average of about 30 birds a day. I had one blank. Out 4 times this summer for 214 on rape and barley stubbles.

I must confess though I am able to fit my work around shooting. If the weather is no for shooting good then I work and when the wind blows its time to get the gun out. I will never be rich , but I enjoy my life.

Edited by anser2