Long distance Crow shooting!

henry d

Decided to go out for a wee while and try shooting the crows with my new reloads in .222 flavour.

Tried 3 fields and didn`t see anything but woodpigeon, so they will be watched for Friday ;)

Just before leaving the farm I saw several crows mobbing another one with some food so I waited until a dominant bird sorted the other 3-4 and leaned over the bonnet and got steady. The laser said 133yds so I aimed a bit low and squeezed the trigger and saw it cartwheel :good: This shifted the others and I moved to another farm after picking the bird up.

The next farm had tatties in the field with crows, rooks and Jacdaws hopping about it, but the stalks were in the way due to me being level. I moved to the next farm which was to the rear of them and they didn`t like me coming over the brow of the hill in my car, so they went up a couple of trees.

With a hill behind as backstop and me on a bank shooting down I thought it very safe to shoot.

The wind was R-L and I gave it 4-5 inches windage @ 163yds and resting on the wing mirror I had a good shot and no.2 drops out of the tree, when I got down to the hit it was in the burn and well dead.

After faffing about, chatting with the farmer, I was on my way back through one farm and saw a pair of hoodies out on a stubble over 500yds away across another field so I slowly drove down to them. They seemed to be feeding in the stubble but began to watch me intently as I got to what I thought was @ 200yds and I slowed down to a stop.

Again I rested on the wing mirror and steadied myself, I didn`t give it any hold under and aimed for the centre of the body as the wind was into my face. Boom and a puff of feathers and the third one at 198 yds is taken out B)

On the way home I saw a load of assorted corvids in a stubble field and as the gate was open I went in and selected a young hoodie that was feeding, as a few adults had lifted I didn`t laser this one and gave it the crosshairs right on the body and missed over the top. I thought it was about 180+ but a bale nearest was 156 !

First pic is the first bird and the second is the 198 looking back to the motor.

post-1301-1253111765.jpg

post-1301-1253111788.jpg