Does pigeon shooting disturb the pheasants?

Does occasional pigeon shooting over a variety of crops over a large area really disturb the game birds ? or is this a myth propagated by keepers to make thier job easier knowing that there is no one about?

I have never met a pigeon man who is ignorant of gamekeeping and would knowingly shoot where a drive was expected the next day or so after.

Sorry Highlander bit I have to disagree.

Several weeks ago I was approaching one of our release pens in the afternoon when I heard 3 shots quite close. The birds were certainly stirred up. A few more shots soon followed, and some birds burst out of the pen, just what you don't want.

Ian and I decided to go and find the shooters. We eventually located them tucked into some standing maize, 2 men were shooting a pigeon and crows. It transpired that the men were one of the tennant farmers and a friend. I explained the close proximity to our pen (40 metres), and the problems that their shots were causing. I requested that they move at least 300 yardsaway, which they did with no further disturbance to the birds. Its a question of common sence.

webber

Does occasional pigeon shooting over a variety of crops over a large area really disturb the game birds ? or is this a myth propagated by keepers to make thier job easier knowing that there is no one about?

I have never met a pigeon man who is ignorant of gamekeeping and would knowingly shoot where a drive was expected the next day or so after.

its a bit of both really yes birds may get disturbed but for me its what else comes with pigeon shooting its the guys picking shot birds or moving around to get to where they wont to be at the end of the day if after a pigeon shooter has been on and the days driven or what ever is done does not go well its the gamekeeper who looks bad . we have a rule on the shoot only pigeon shooting to be done on rape in the season and there must not be any shooting 3 days before and 3 days after a shoot ,so not to disturb before and to give the birds time to settle again . We also no that the guys shooting will keep away where possible from the cover strips and the flight ponds .

I tend to think that it can sometimes disturb them; however in most cases it just helps to get them used to shots. I agree with highlander about partridges though, any disturbance makes them very skittish.... I complain enough about all the tractors and farm work which mills them about.

Especially ploughing!

:lol:

Do you guys ask or tell the keeper before you go shooting ?

Or is it the farmer/landowner you ask ?

Once the pheasants are out ,I dont even let my syndicate members shoot anywhere except the extreme boundaries!

If anyone does shoot where they shouldnt be, they go home with their boll**ks in a bag !!

They may be a bit stupid this time of year but once they have had a spaniel up their rrrs a few times.Its only one shot and they have gone !!!

Drive knackered!!!

spot on nipper, its the pigeon shooters trying to defend their entertainment. If your job relies on game shooting then you are going to get the hump about people shooting anywhere near woods and covers where you've got birds down. Shooting does disrupt them and if you do enough they will move onto land thats not shot.

All it means is be sensible once the birds are down we only shoot if there is a specific problem and then not near woods and cover crops. It isn't in the prime shooting time anyway as you get a go straight after harvest and then we leave them till roosting after the season and then as the crops really pick up in the spring to summer its good to have another go.

At this time of the year I spend most of my time dogging in. The stupid things don't need much of an excuse to walk of the estate as it is without some daft twerp shooting pigeons on the stubble !.

Let them bide quietly with as little disturbance as possible. I can tolerate pigeon damage but not lost or jumpy birds.

Totally agree Charlie T,

Every day its dogging in for me as well. If I didn't I would have nothing left to shoot !

All it takes is someone walking a dog in the wrong place and they are off!

If pigeons are doing damage to a crop,there are other ways to put them off at this time of year (not much crop just now anyway ?)

Roost shooting and pigeons on stubble is "SPORT" not vermin control .

And what few rabbits are left after MIXI and buzzards, I need for my walk up days.

Edited by nipper

Totally agree Charlie T,

Every day its dogging in for me as well. If I didn't I would have nothing left to shoot !

All it takes is someone walking a dog in the wrong place and they are off!

It would be for me too, If I hadn't been made redundant.

You know of any jobs going? - Cheecky to ask but what the hey!

Do you guys ask or tell the keeper before you go shooting ?

Or is it the farmer/landowner you ask ?

Once the pheasants are out ,I dont even let my syndicate members shoot anywhere except the extreme boundaries!

If anyone does shoot where they shouldnt be, they go home with their boll**ks in a bag !!

They may be a bit stupid this time of year but once they have had a spaniel up their rrrs a few times.Its only one shot and they have gone !!!

Drive knackered!!!

I always phone the farmer the day before then pop round the gamekeepers on my way cos his house backs onto the land so when he hears gunshot-he knows its me.He's fine with me shooting because he knows i wont touch game and i dont go within 300yds of the pens.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, Thanks for the great response to my question.

It seems that it is pretty much ok, but only a good distance from the pens and drives/stands, but not within 300m or so, and with no dog etc.

Not on partridge country, or late pm for roost shooting, as this is bedtime for game too during the game season. and not the day before a shoot either.

Common sense.

Thing with pigeon shooting is that you do move around every time you go, and often a long way, over completley diferent crops / locations.

If I were a keeper, I would try to be accomadating towards pigeon shooters, so long as they have proper permission etc. because they maybe the game shooters of tomorrow, and mostly are very carefull not to interfere with your job of keeping game. Some keepers I know see thier role as countryside wardens and just dont want anyone around. I dont see how it can be healthy to discourage fellow shooters from enjoying thier chosen persuit too.

Thanks again and happy shooting-- whatever the quarrie.

Miroku man :sick:

QUOTE,

"I don't see how it can be healthy to discourage fellow shooters from enjoying their chosen pursuit too."

You set up your decoys and get settled in . Then a couple of lads from the farm start a bit of clay shooting 2/3 hundred yards away from you !!!

Your going to feel real healthy with them messing up your day enjoying their chosen pursuit !

If your planning to be the future game shooter ,you might try and find out a bit more about how hard it is to maintain a pheasant shoot in some of these areas.

I 'm not saying don't go pigeon shooting, but speak to the keeper and he might just want you to go to a particular area to push the birds back with a bit of decoying on a tricky boundry or ditch the birds escape from .

Edited by nipper