Rolex Explorer II or Submariner?

Dirty Harry

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you had the choice between just these two which would you go for and why.

I'm thinking of the white face explorer or the stainless date sub probably in black.

Not interested in any other makes just these please and anyone who has or has had one your opinions please.

They would be the latest current model.

Thanks

Harry

Technically not much between the two to be honest...The Explorer I suppose you could say has the slightly better movement....but the Submariner the better water resistance at depth...though I dare say you wont be doing much diving beyond 100m so a 300m calibre watch would be totally superfluous.. both as you know auto movements

Its really a question akin to which Bentley do I buy the red one or the green one...

I've had an Explorer through my hands a few years back but not the Explorer 2... it was solid and robust but these watches are easily replicated these days with Japanese miyota 9000 calibre auto movements which are very very good indeed...so if its an investment you are making it might be worth spending the money on another maker with a bit more individuality.

If it were me I would go for the Submariner...its stood the test of time and still much sought after...

Like I said I'm not interested in Breitling but I did have a look at some in a shop just after I had done the deal for the Rolex just in case. There was nothing I really liked the look of. They all look very fashionable and not very timeless or classic in design. There were some very nice IWC watches and I would consider one of them in the future if I had a load of spare wedge.

Couldn't agree more Breitling watches do nothing for me. I had a couple in my collection but got rid at a loss...overrated tack and much copied. I have an early IWC flieger in my collection and it is a fine watch and its only growing in value. Ive found it very difficult to shift Breitlings in the past and make a profit....no one seems to value them.

Technically not much between the two to be honest...The Explorer I suppose you could say has the slightly better movement....but the Submariner the better water resistance at depth...though I dare say you wont be doing much diving beyond 100m so a 300m calibre watch would be totally superfluous.. both as you know auto movements

Its really a question akin to which Bentley do I buy the red one or the green one...

I've had an Explorer through my hands a few years back but not the Explorer 2... it was solid and robust but these watches are easily replicated these days with Japanese miyota 9000 calibre auto movements which are very very good indeed...so if its an investment you are making it might be worth spending the money on another maker with a bit more individuality.

If it were me I would go for the Submariner...its stood the test of time and still much sought after...

I do like the Submariner Mike but in what swung it in the end was the last 3 watches I had were black faced divers watches and the Explorer II is a bit different. I don't dive any more either.

It's not an investment as such. It will be worn most days so won't be kept mint but I would like to think that I won't be throwing money away with the Explorer II.

Sold it yet?

Had a good browse round Vegas at watches, still love the milgauss, there are a lot of very expensive watches that to me look like carp but then i don't have ooodles of money falling out of every orifice......

Tag for me (seems the advertisers knew what they were doing... i drooled over them on the back of the sunday magazines my whole youth....)

That said OMG http://www.titanblack.co.uk/collection/rolex/milgauss/rolex-milgauss-envy that is stunning

black-pvd-rolex_5.jpg?slideshow=true&sli

Good find I am yet to find a Rolex I think I would enquire about but the one above and this one have changed my mind http://www.titanblack.co.uk/rolex-daytona-blue-streak

I have an Omega Seamaster and i always thought i would get a Sub next, but i don't think they are very attractive now, i know they are the same but i think other companies now produce better looking watches and they are very common.

For me now it would have to be a Omega Planet Ocean a great looking watch.

17331048_1_4601_zps2f5937e8.png

But a choice between the two you have listed i would go for a Sub (or a Milgauss)top choice much better than a rolex

• 3 weeks later...

Update and proof that swanky watches if properly bought cost nothing....

I sold a watch today for 18.5% more than I paid for it about a year ago, and I bought it second hand from a jewellers in leigh on sea.

Okay, with auctioneers fees coming off (and so on) I'm about 8.5% infront *but* it's not about making a profit - it's about having free use of a swanky watch for the time that I have had it and not losing any money on it. The money merely rests in the watch.

Edited by Mungler

Update and proof that swanky watches if properly bought cost nothing....

I sold a watch today for 18.5% more than I paid for it about a year ago, and I bought it second hand from a jewellers in leigh on sea.

Okay, with auctioneers fees coming off (and so on) I'm about 8.5% infront *but* it's not about making a profit - it's about having free use of a swanky watch for the time that I have had it and not losing any money on it. The money merely rests in the watch.

8.5% better than any bank.