Chip fat

islandgun

Anybody tried heating oil (kerosene) for off road use only obviously?

You can run a diesel on kerosene if you add a bit of lubricating oil with it but for off road just use red.

Veg oil 90p a litre at Tesco at the moment,Non in BD19 now its all in my 300d

That's a very good price.

Used it for a long time when it was cheap, its now the same as real fuel..lol.

the shelves are aalways full at tesco now, they used to be empty,

What I want to know is, why if they want to keep pollutants down they do not let you use it. ???.

put some in MOT day, your readings will hit rock bottom. Guaranteed..

What I want to know is, why if they want to keep pollutants down they do not let you use it. ???.

But you can use up to 2500 litres of cooking oil a year - but it's just not cost effective to do so unless you have a cheap local supply

I tried with Bio-diesel from a reputable supplier a couple of years back, i have a volvo with a D5 diesel engine. The supplier advised me to change my fuel filters if it ran lumpy or certainly after 1000 miles - It didn't run lumpy and it didn't get to 1000 miles on bio diesel. September 2012 i was using a 50% mix. It was a real pain pouring it from a 25 litre drum into my car, i used a big funnel with a flexible neck. I found the process very messy too. As the weather got colder i reduced the mix to 25% bio, 75% pump diesel. At the time i was paying 1.25 ltr for Bio, pump diesel was 10 or 11 pence per litre more expensive. One of my work colleagues who i car share with was aware of what i was doing and he thought i was insane.

I'll get to the point of my experiance with bio-diesel. Myself and two work colleagues had been at work and we had finnished at 02:30am, that day i was the driver. As i drove along a flat stretch of road the car spluttered and began to slow off and eventually stopped. I fired it up again and it ran for for a couple of hundred feet before it stopped again. I did the stop start thing for about half a mile until my car refused to start. I had my 2 work colleagues push my 2 tonne Volvo a couple hundred feet to a petrol station fourcourt, they told me it was hardwork! Another work colleague was contacted and he went out of his way at 3:30am to get us home.

The following day, i attended my car and had the AA attended. When i mentioned Bio diesel, he said he dealt with a dozen bio diesel disasters each month. The car was recovered to a friends garage who were diesel specilists. I was told my cost saving exercise might result it me needing new injectors. My tank was drained (it was almost full, approx £90!) and the car returned to me running on paffafin ( this was to assist in cleansing). The garage bill and a new tank of diesel cost me £300, just before Christmas - I was the turkey that year! My car runs fine now but, i had it explained that Bio diesel and common rail diesel engines are not a good mix. Am told some engines are good on Bio, but not Volvo Common rail.