Thinking about getting a Lab,

Mentalmac

Hi all,

Please bear with me, I'm not overly familiar with all the dog jargon.

I have a few pets, (birds, small mammals for the kids, a cat) but am yearning for a dog for a companion as well as to be with me shooting.

I've seen some amazing dogs being worked lately, and not only working but being a damned fine companion too, such as Marshman's Lab - George.

I am thinking about getting a lab pup, but I am unsure on dog or bitch, KC reg or not, working dog pedigree or not etc...

What's the best thing for me to look out for? I would like a dog that's able to be a good family pet and also ok (doesn't have to be amazing but a good standard) as a working dog...

Where should I start?

If you want a dog to work the obviousley one with a working pedigree stands a better chance of making the grade so rule out Labs with show lines in their pedigree.

Not saying it cannot be done as mine has some show blood on one side but it does not stack the odds in your favour and is a mistake I will not make again .

Think about what your shooting consists of is a Lab the best choice ?

Dog or bitch does not really matter each have their fans I have always had Dogs as I do not want to be without one and you will lose a bit of time with a bitch when they are in season.

Also it is difficult to train a dog with a young family as really they want just one master and to be treat with consistency which raely happens once children become involved.

If you want a dog to work the obviousley one with a working pedigree stands a better chance of making the grade so rule out Labs with show lines in their pedigree.

Not saying it cannot be done as mine has some show blood on one side but it does not stack the odds in your favour and is a mistake I will not make again .

Think about what your shooting consists of is a Lab the best choice ?

Dog or bitch does not really matter each have their fans I have always had Dogs as I do not want to be without one and you will lose a bit of time with a bitch when they are in season.

Also it is difficult to train a dog with a young family as really they want just one master and to be treat with consistency which raely happens once children become involved.

Thanks Fenboy, nice post and full of useful info.

I think a lab would be most suited to me, with me wanting to get into wildfowling and only usually doing some pigeon shooting and when shooting rabbits I'd likely not bring a dog, so not really any cover for a dog to work so guess that rules out a spaniel.

With regard to young family, I am not to worried about them getting in the way of too much consistency as they are pretty well trained to stay away from pets and the rules etc, but also I'd likely have the dog in my office with me during day. My only downside is sometimes I do a couple of days abroad on business trips, so I really need to think this through fully.

I am torn, but find myself really wanting one - but don't want to let a dog down or myself etc... Ah!

Get a springer spaniel there nuts...... :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Haha I can see that you likely have a spaniel?

If you have children, labs are generally good with children and easier to train.

Thanks, I reckon it's the choice for me - I just am torn on whether I should or not

Thanks Fenboy, nice post and full of useful info.

I think a lab would be most suited to me, with me wanting to get into wildfowling and only usually doing some pigeon shooting and when shooting rabbits I'd likely not bring a dog, so not really any cover for a dog to work so guess that rules out a spaniel.

With regard to young family, I am not to worried about them getting in the way of too much consistency as they are pretty well trained to stay away from pets and the rules etc, but also I'd likely have the dog in my office with me during day. My only downside is sometimes I do a couple of days abroad on business trips, so I really need to think this through fully.

I am torn, but find myself really wanting one - but don't want to let a dog down or myself etc... Ah!

Haha I can see that you likely have a spaniel?

Thanks, I reckon it's the choice for me - I just am torn on whether I should or not

Oh Yes

Ha ha never a dull moment but very rewarding :yahoo::yahoo:

I have a friend that has a lab that sniffs out golf balls at the local golf course and it amazes me,i have tried with mine but she would rather sniff a rabbit out he he.

ATB

Neil.

Stick with a lab :good:

KC reg is a better way to go to rule out puppy farms. It also helps as any medical results will be on the pedigree.

It is not a guarantee, but make sure the hip scores are good on both parents.

I have only ever had a bitch and found them nice to train.

There are always plenty of litters about. Ask the breeders lots of questions and don't be afraid to travel to find one that fits your requirements.

Good luck

Hi

So your going to deprive your children and wife of the pleasure of a pup 😊

Go on tell them they can't have one 😗

So in the spirit of PW

Stop being selfish think of others this is the time you can realy make a difference think of the educational value

Get a pup 😊😃😀

Seriously first dog lab is the best choice bitches tend to be a bit softer easier

Dogs a bit bolder

As for leaving for a few days that's why they invented family freinds and kennels to look after it for you

Do you need anymore convincing

All the best

Of

Stick with a lab :good:

KC reg is a better way to go to rule out puppy farms. It also helps as any medical results will be on the pedigree.

It is not a guarantee, but make sure the hip scores are good on both parents.

I have only ever had a bitch and found them nice to train.

There are always plenty of litters about. Ask the breeders lots of questions and don't be afraid to travel to find one that fits your requirements.

Good luck

Thanks Sabs, how do you cope with them being in season? Is it wise or acceptable to get them 'done'?

Get a Bitch, (not the human variety)..

Easier to train, Dogs are well known for hard work to train, very strong yes, but have mindset of their own, be warned..

Hi

So your going to deprive your children and wife of the pleasure of a pup 😊

Go on tell them they can't have one 😗

So in the spirit of PW

Stop being selfish think of others this is the time you can realy make a difference think of the educational value

Get a pup 😊😃😀

Seriously first dog lab is the best choice bitches tend to be a bit softer easier

Dogs a bit bolder

As for leaving for a few days that's why they invented family freinds and kennels to look after it for you

Do you need anymore convincing

All the best

Of

Thanks OF, I am very interested - will be having some serious chats with the ball and chain this next few days :)

Thanks Sabs, how do you cope with them being in season? Is it wise or acceptable to get them 'done'?

Thanks OF, I am very interested - will be having some serious chats with the ball and chain this next few days :)

Chat with

Be the giant you are and walk in with a wet sack with a brick in it and a damp pup in your shirt and say

I was walking buy the canal and you'll never gess what I .................😗😗😗😗

Well its worked for me 3 out of 4 times

(No river where I live )

Best of luck mate

Hope you and the family come to the right decision

All the best

Of

The bitch I have now came into season at the end of September so she only missed the first shoot of the season. She probably would have been fine, but I like to give her at least a month to be clear, especially with all the dogs on the shoot.

There will be others who can advise about having them spayed and what age to have it done.

As for being away for a few days - as old farrier says, family, friends or kennels.

If you can avoid planing your trips away when she is in season, it saves the embarrassment of being told off by the mother in law over the little red stains on the brand new ivory carpet :blush:

Chat with

Be the giant you are and walk in with a wet sack with a brick in it and a damp pup in your shirt and say

I was walking buy the canal and you'll never gess what I .................😗😗😗😗

(No river where I live )

Best of luck mate

All the best

Of

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chat with

I was walking buy the canal and you'll never gess what I .................

(No river where I live )

Best of luck mate

All the best

Of

Haha I told my missus about that one and she laughed. She wants a dog as much as me, but depends on a few factors really.

The bitch I have now came into season at the end of September so she only missed the first shoot of the season. She probably would have been fine, but I like to give her at least a month to be clear, especially with all the dogs on the shoot.

There will be others who can advise about having them spayed and what age to have it done.

As for being away for a few days - as old farrier says, family, friends or kennels.

If you can avoid planing your trips away when she is in season, it saves the embarrassment of being told off by the mother in law over the little red stains on the brand new ivory carpet :blush:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your wisdom, I'll take that on board :-).

Get a nice lab bitch, bit more biddable than a dog ( not always ) you'll enjoy your shooting so much more!

Thanks, That's the way I am thinking to be honest :-)

I have 2 bitches 2 dogs all very different gypsy my oldest bitch is a grumpy mare but is brilliant on pricked game and awsome at tracking honey my red bitch young but is going to be good the two dogs are brothers but like chalk and cheese lancer crashes into any cover without hesitation diesel has the air of a field champiom but a bit wet when it comes to getting dirty or wet but he really is obedient and moves so well

Girls seem to learn bit quicker but not enough to worry, bitch seasons can be a pain but again not enough to worry so not much help really

• 4 weeks later...

I was like you undecided about getting a dog and for years I put it off. but bit the bullet and got a lab dog. he is 12 wks old now and it will be a learning curve for both dog and myself.

I will be using him for pigeons..... maybe picking up on the shoot if I train him good enough.

finding a local breeder is best and better to get from a working strain with field trial champion parents even better...this pup I got was born half trained lol... and there is always some one to have the dog at weekends.... the breeder may offer to have the dog if you mention it...

go for it

I'd try to source a pup locally ideally of someone u know. Next time u see a decent dog working ask the owner wot type of lines are in it who bred it etc. U could mibee pick 1 up with similar lines.

possibly try local wildfowling clubs, gundog clubs or if u go to any shoots to put ur feelers/word out ur looking for 1.

For a novice or any handler i'd reccommend joining some sort of training club, it is so easy to train a dog (to a working atandard) when u are shown the easy ways, i'm sure u'll manage without but it makes life a lot easier. Even go to watch/throw dummies before ur dog is old enough to fully take part.

I'd say with modern lab's there isnae a massive difference in the temperemnt of dogs/bitches not like 30+ years ago, dogs have beccame far more 'bitchy'.

I've heard fowlers say ur better with a dog to get that extra drive/oomff, but doubt it really makes much difference, but handy if u will always have a dog ready to work which might not be the case wth a bitch

Labs in paticular are amazing dogs and i wouldnae worry too much about kids/wifes, they'll soon learn to do 1 thing for u, but behave differently for them, and it dosenae really affect them for working.

Ideally the other folk would be trained better