Permenant grassland farm

Phil9

Laid up at the moment with bronchitis again. I hate this winter.

OH went out and got 6 crows today much to the shepherds delight who was out in the fields with the sheep. Twelve lambs born so far. :)

The Daystates can be turned down for the barn shooting which is great.

Going stir crazy. Just got a Pitch black NV and itching to try it out.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I believe there have been cases where anti-shooters have approached roost shooters and asked them to demonstrate that they are acting within General License conditions."

Would not a polite form of Foxtrot Oscar be the reasonable response? Far to many people these days seem to believe that they are stakeholders in other people's business. If the anti is effectively a member of the general public (hopefully on a footpath - but unlikely to be if they are near a shooter) and you are within your rights to be on that land shooting then they have no business challenging you.

Laid up at the moment with bronchitis again. I hate this winter.

OH went out and got 6 crows today much to the shepherds delight who was out in the fields with the sheep. Twelve lambs born so far. :)

Going stir crazy. Just got a NV and itching to try it out.

well done - what new toy did you get??

Interesting NV, that's a new one on me. Not a unit I know. What are you putting it on?

You're early for lambing up there aren't you? Things are imminent here but I haven't seen anything born yet. Talking to a farm manager mate tonight and he's looking forward to a long 3 weeks imminently. A friend up in Caithness is on average about 6 weeks behind us!

Just this week all the black flappies are out on my place having been thin on the ground.

Daystate Mk4.

Weather is pretty mild on the Cheshire plains.

Shepherd has got half the flock lambing now and the rest in June.

One ewe gave birth while OH was there this afternoon. :)

The crows were all feeding on the grass field next to the sheep field. It had just been slurried. :(

http://www.pitchblacknightvision.co.uk/

Edited by loriusgarrulus

As far as I can see, to be operating lawfully, you must be able to show that you are operating to:

(1) Prevent serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops,

vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters, or (2) Prevent the spread of disease.

MAFF concluded that reducing the general population of pigeons was a waste of time and that the only way was to protect individual crops as and when they were being attacked. Under the General License you have to show that you are satisfied that non-lethal means have not been affective or are impractical to provide protection for the crop.

I believe there have been cases where anti-shooters have approached roost shooters and asked them to demonstrate that they are acting within General License conditions.

That doesn't make it site specific as far as I can see, especially bearing in mind the post of Charlie T in response to the above.

Just to throw another mix into the equation, the Countryside and Wildlife Act doesn't allow the shooting of rabbits with shotguns, according to Cumbria licensing authority, but that's for another thread. :)

Daystate Mk4.

Weather is pretty mild on the Cheshire plains.

Shepherd has got half the flock lambing now and the rest in June.

One ewe gave birth while OH was there this afternoon. :)

The crows were all feeding on the grass field next to the sheep field. It had just been slurried. :(

http://www.pitchblacknightvision.co.uk/

Same here. Oodles of black things on sheep farm at moment as most fields are covered in slurry ( makes for a very smelly terrier at times, but thankfully I've trained her to sleep on OH's side of the bed :yes: ) and we may have a decoying day this weekend.

Landowner hates the things. He once had a prize winning tupp blinded by corvids after it got on its back; by the time he discovered it the damage had been done. Lambing hasn't started on our rough shot yet.

You could try the large wet wipes for a quick freshen up of the terrier before bed time.

She gets a scrub down outside with a brush in a soapy bucket. If I can dupe her into coming into the parlour, she gets a freshen up with hose at farm prior to getting in vehicle, but she is very wary of hoses ever since she rolled in a decomposing salmon as a pup and I tied her to the garden table to hose her down. Luckily she loves the river though, so I have no trouble getting her in there after a smelly session prior to coming home.

Very few woodpigeons around up here (not enough to warrant setting up a hide anyhow) 'til harvest time, so it's corvids all the way until then.

This is just thought maybe someone has the answer as you know a land owner has an obligation to control rabbits to help protect a neighbour's crops what about pigeons on a flight line to a field of rape or any other crop the neighbour has .

And what if you haven't got any crops to protect?

There are very, very few farms that don't produce a crop of some sort.

It's the EU and the law that has made it complicated. I don't like it, and nor should anyone else.

Which EU laws overide the GL issued by NE..

There are very, very few farms that don't produce a crop of some sort.

Which EU laws overide the GL issued by NE..

Not all shooting takes place on farms.

I think you'll find that the only way to allow pigeon(and other bird) control under EU rules was to put them on General License.

I am also asked to control pigeons as the get in one landowners calf rearing barns....scoff loads of calf food and then carp into the feed troughs giving his calves "scour"

so "protection of livestock"

this doesnt restrict me to only shhoting in and around the barns either...If i roost em out up in the wood 800 m away then the same reasoning applies...since reducing the general population is required...

interesting question though is this....are we allowed ot control corvids on conservation grounds...

(since corvids (along with greys ) are a major source of predation on song birds???

the wood i shoot is a bit like the aegean stables as far as corvids are concerned...

the faster I shoot em the more there are ... :good:

Not all shooting takes place on farms.

I think you'll find that the only way to allow pigeon(and other bird) control under EU rules was to put them on General License.

There you go, you've answered the question. EU law does not override the GL.

I say again, you are overcomplicating the issue and looking for pitfalls that are not there.

There you go, you've answered the question. EU law does not override the GL.

I say again, you are overcomplicating the issue and looking for pitfalls that are not there.

So why wasn't the Woodpigeon on General License before the EU made it necessary?