Fox shooting in garden.

thebosun

I believe a neibour of mine has been shooting fox's from his high seat in his garden.

He is backing onto woods where there is a path for dog walkers.

I run my own shoot and shoot the odd fox and do not think he can shoot and kill these fox's (5 so far) without at least a .22 rimfire if close enough.

Is it legal to use a rifle this close to houses and dog walkers.

He is also throwing the carcases into the headgrow next to the dog walkers path.

So are you saying that the land is Public land, the path for 'doggie walkers' is a public footpath or is the land Private land and the path is just a path that 'doggie walkers' use for their convenience, and NOT actually a public footpath ?

Edited by Westley

I believe a neibour of mine has been shooting fox's from his high seat in his garden.

He is backing onto woods where there is a path for dog walkers.

I run my own shoot and shoot the odd fox and do not think he can shoot and kill these fox's (5 so far) without at least a .22 rimfire if close enough.

Is it legal to use a rifle this close to houses and dog walkers.

He is also throwing the carcases into the headgrow next to the dog walkers path.

And your problem is?........

Maybe disposing of the carcases is a bit contentious, best out of sight and away from pet dogs and their owners, but apart from that it sounds as though he is doing everyone a good service.

Live and let live, sounds like he is doing a fine job on the local Charlie's. Maybe the disposal leaves a bit to be desired but hey ho he won't be the first or the last. We have a member on here who even made the local paper when they found his dumping spot..... You have to ditch them somewhere

I was reading between the lines here, which is why I asked about the 'doggie walkers'. I live near such a path, it is NOT a public footpath but is used by every man and his dog (literally) Whilst shooting over the adjoining rape field, I have been told by the tresspassing doggie walkers, that "I should not be shooting there anyway". I wondered if this guy had sampled some of this, and was leaving the carcases there on purpose ?

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The wood is divided up between the housing estate where we live and private houses the other side of the wood,some fenced some not.

The dog walkers have always been allowed to walk on the unfenced area as it is on quite a slope.

One of my problems is the fact that we can well do without bad press and i know the police and RSPCA have been informed.

The other is the disregard for the resulting travel of the bullets (whatever he is using).

I and my wife both walk our dog and seeing i own 3 rifles myself i know hor rounds can travel without a backstop.

He is shooting from his garden that is on the top of the bank so shooting blind downhill towards the private houses and dog walkers.

Sorry its difficult to give you all the details,just thought that the ranges he is using would be about 60/70 mtrs from highseat to where the carcases and walkers walk.

He does have neighbours either side and a main road on the front.

Its in the middle of Walderslade kent if anyone knows it.

thebosun,

If he's shooting in his own garden, then he's acting legally.

However, if he is shooting from his garden at foxes in the wood, where he does not have permission, then he is breaking the law.

It sounds from your post that he is blindly shooting downhill into the wood where he has no permission and to make matters worse, the public use the wood and there are houses behind.

If this is the case and I lived next to him I'd be on the phone to the police complaining pretty damn quick.

Charlie.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The wood is divided up between the housing estate where we live and private houses the other side of the wood,some fenced some not.

The dog walkers have always been allowed to walk on the unfenced area as it is on quite a slope.

One of my problems is the fact that we can well do without bad press and i know the police and RSPCA have been informed.

The other is the disregard for the resulting travel of the bullets (whatever he is using).

I and my wife both walk our dog and seeing i own 3 rifles myself i know hor rounds can travel without a backstop.

I'm still not following the specific situation/details here.

IS he shooting irresponsibly, or do you just think he might be, with 5 kills and a High seat he doesn't seem like a beginner. If he is using a .22lr and subs and places them correctly at the distances you mention then there will be no over penetration and therefore no bullet travel to be concerned about. Whether there is a safe backstop in the event it should be required I'm not following.

You raise a very important point ......... i know the police and RSPCA have been informed ........ so, what have they done about it?

Hi There.

My other non shooting dog walker has informed the RSPCA and police but no feedback as yet.

These are urban/semi rural fox's and are always seen in gardens and roads around the area i am talking about so would be a easy kill for someone who knows where to place them.

I have actually seen a fox being chased through his garden by his dog so he is more than likely a bit hacked off.

Its the lack of a backstop on the hill that would concern me.

Thanks for your comments.

Hi There.

My other non shooting dog walker has informed the RSPCA and police but no feedback as yet.

These are urban/semi rural fox's and are always seen in gardens and roads around the area i am talking about so would be a easy kill for someone who knows where to place them.

I have actually seen a fox being chased through his garden by his dog so he is more than likely a bit hacked off.

Its the lack of a backstop on the hill that would concern me.

Thanks for your comments.

Reports of someone shooting and nobody has followed it up?

Seems a bit odd from Police/RSPCA.

Is he still shooting? As I said earlier I'm not following the specifics of this, safe or otherwise shooting situations can be difficult to explain the details of.

Suffice to say, I shoot a lot of foxes in pocket handkerchief back gardens and many would be horrified at the thought, without knowing the detail.

..... :lol::lol: :lol: actually many would suggest a .22lr and subs is not suitable for fox and I should be using a centrefire :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:good:

If police receive a report that an armed man is firing live ammunition beyond his boundary into public property why wouldn't they respond?

which bit were you reading?

see no problem here apart from the idiot is allegedly chucking the fox bodies

if you seeno-one sees any foxes then there is no issue

Have shot foxes in tiny little spaces and no-one is any the wiser.......as it should be!

sound like the police have no reason to respond or indeed speak to your neighbour

just because he lives locally, has an FAC and someone found a dead fox, he may have even called it in, then they really have no reason!

Edited by Bewsher500

which bit were you reading?

see no problem here apart from the idiot is allegedly chucking the fox bodies

if you seeno-one sees any foxes then there is no issue

Have shot foxes in tiny little spaces and no-one is any the wiser.......as it should be!

sound like the police have no reason to respond or indeed speak to your neighbour

just because he lives locally, has an FAC and someone found a dead fox, he may have even called it in, then they really have no reason!

I read it all.......Ok...if he's shooting foxes from his garden and within his garden or onto any land that he is licenced to do so and has permission for and is being completely safe in ensuring the bullet doesn't leave these authorised boundaries, then you may be right.... But we don't know that this is the case. Likewise, he may have called it in? Or he may not?

The op raised safety issues and all I asked is why the police wouldn't respond in such circumstances.

Edited by Suffolkngood