Another stupid lab question ??

hedge hunter

I should never buy a puppy based on price. Your looking at £500 normally for something with a proper parentage, I paid a reasonable amount more - some pay quite vast amounts (suppose I might if I was a "dog sport" type interested only in trials. False economy to be lumbered with a lesser dog because you saved a couple of hundred quid. I don't doubt a few real good pups change hands for very little or nothing between mates and such

I should never buy a puppy based on price. Your looking at £500 normally for something with a proper parentage, I paid a reasonable amount more - some pay quite vast amounts (suppose I might if I was a "dog sport" type interested only in trials. False economy to be lumbered with a lesser dog because you saved a couple of hundred quid. I don't doubt a few real good pups change hands for very little or nothing between mates and such

The bitch I have now was only £200. She would have been a very good dog if I had done my bit with the training.

Yes, the pedigree is first class, with a few well known dogs in the lines. The puppies are hereditary clear of PRA and CNM. I don't think i'm paying over the odds and I think that shows, with the whole litter being sold very quickly (all 9 for sale and one kept by the breeders). I just hope I can do the puppy justice and train it well.

Mine was also clear of PRA and CNM he was a couple of hundred less , but has not got such a good working pedigree I would think.

I am sure you will get the new dog trained just fine , you have a dog to see you through the coming season or longer so no need to rush the new one .

You also have a few people you can turn to for advice if needed , from my findings so far the biggest problem with male labs is how long they can take to mature and looking back I wish I had left a large chunk of his training until he was much older.

She was a bargain 12yearsbold still going strong,and loves a dead seal!!!

She was a bargain 12yearsbold still going strong,and loves a dead seal!!!

:lol: I think motty is right though she could have been a very good dog with some serious training .

I will miss the shout of Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy when she has been retired .

There is two beauty's for sale on here with pedigree etc for £500 from a trainer all scored they are a bargain !!!!

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a 'trainer' lol but yes they are little beauties as Penelope will testify ;) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

To pose a bit of a newbie question... Do people keep their fowling dogs kenneled or in house? I currently don't have a dog (or been wildfowling yet) as both my partner and I work long hours (out of the house for 12 hours a day) and I'm worried about the dog becoming anxious and chewing the house up on its own, but would love to make arrangements for one in future.

(sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but didn't want to start a new topic for what I assume is a quick question)

Edited by AdamSouthEast

To pose a bit of a newbie question... Do people keep their fowling dogs kenneled or in house? I currently don't have a dog (or been wildfowling yet) as both my partner and I work long hours (out of the house for 12 hours a day) and I'm worried about the dog becoming anxious and chewing the house up on its own, but would love to make arrangements for one in future.

(sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but didn't want to start a new topic for what I assume is a quick question)

My dogs have always lived in the house , but at no time they have been left for 12hrs at a time , and I would seriously consider having a dog if I had to leave one as long as you and your partner are away from your house.

How would you get on with a puppy that need feeding 3 or 4 times a day ?

A dog is a commitment and develop regular habits the same as us , if you can take them out every morning at the same time for decent run and the same later on during the day then you might stand a chance , if not I would hang on until you know in your own mind that you are ready to take a dog on for possibly anything up to 13 , 14yrs or longer . Good luck with whatever you decide to do .

Like Marshman, my dogs have always lived in the house, they are part of my family and are with me at work as well as evenings at home. Its very rare she ever has a day alone in the house , perhaps twice a year. I would not recomend having a young dog if you are going to leave it alone for 12 hours a day on a regurar basis, you are asking for trouble and its likely to wreck your house.

My dogs have always lived in the house , but at no time they have been left for 12hrs at a time , and I would seriously consider having a dog if I had to leave one as long as you and your partner are away from your house.

How would you get on with a puppy that need feeding 3 or 4 times a day ?

A dog is a commitment and develop regular habits the same as us , if you can take them out every morning at the same time for decent run and the same later on during the day then you might stand a chance , if not I would hang on until you know in your own mind that you are ready to take a dog on for possibly anything up to 13 , 14yrs or longer . Good luck with whatever you decide to do .

Like Marshman, my dogs have always lived in the house, they are part of my family and are with me at work as well as evenings at home. Its very rare she ever has a day alone in the house , perhaps twice a year. I would not recomend having a young dog if you are going to leave it alone for 12 hours a day on a regurar basis, you are asking for trouble and its likely to wreck your house.

Indeed, this is why we haven't made the leap yet. I've always assumed we would have to wait until I could afford to support her not working, or live in central London so could visit the dog at lunch or work from home etc... Bit of a shame, I've wanted a dog for over 20 years, but it would have to be a happy life for the dog for me to make that decision.

Getting home and getting the dog out a lunch is fine but that can easy slip. Myself? I totally believe in kennelling a fowling dog, their coats keep thicker and they are generally better acclimatised to the cold (proper fowling can be very hard on a house dog). That said a dog often needs to be indoors on occasions so it is ok with it when needs must and learns the rules. Sometimes if I am busy with paperwork and such I will bring the dog in but he tend to just settle right by the front door awaiting time to go outside again and wow betide you if you keep him in in an evening past his bedtime :no: you will get reminded constantly :yes:

12 hrs is unacceptable and I think under the dogs act also now illegal? London folk just pay dog walkers etc anyhow don't they. :lol: I bet most dog owners have done it an odd occasion leaving the dog kennelled but its not right especially 5 days a week

Mine was also clear of PRA and CNM he was a couple of hundred less , but has not got such a good working pedigree I would think.

I am sure you will get the new dog trained just fine , you have a dog to see you through the coming season or longer so no need to rush the new one .

You also have a few people you can turn to for advice if needed , from my findings so far the biggest problem with male labs is how long they can take to mature and looking back I wish I had left a large chunk of his training until he was much older.

Agree- mines is still a bit immature at 2 1/2!

Gosh I was just chatting with the wife about maturity of ours last night, she started training my current dog because I didn't think him ready at 6mnths so I just carried on following her lead . retrospectively I should have pretty much held off till 12mnths and he is four in September and only really matured into a full adult over the last six months. they are all different imo