ADVICE ON .22 AMMO for a CZ .22 455 L/R (sub sonic) and ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a thought do i need clean barrel before using? is so what with.? i only got some express gun oil or youngs 303. cheers

hello, ok will give a oncer clean than do as you recommend, i only do my air rifle once a year. cheers

54 metres, 42gr Winchester subs, CZ silhouette cut to 14 inches.Wife shot these yesterday and it was the only 3 she fired lol,thought the 1st one was a fluke.

hello, that is far better than me!!!

hello, just an up date, this was the ammo i purchased to start, RWS HP SUBS X 150, WINCHESTER SUBS X 150, ELEY HOLLOW X 200 did not have any H/V but i did not worry, the rifle looks great with the new hawke rimmy scope and SAK mod and sling, will phone the chap with rifle range and pop over if ok. the scope is the 3x9x40 which the RFD said was ok for shooting i do as i mentioned, the 50mm looked OTT. but its bright and has the new ret . will have a good looksy later. got a semi auto and carts to. ps bank managers not happy :lol:

just to say the rimmy scope has red/green on the ret to.

Oh so your not colour blind then keep us posted on how it performs.

hello, i will do john, no so i think the red maybe handy for late evening and nights, still not sure if i should have gone for the 50mm scope but the RFD said would be okay and good with the T38 torch. reading rifle instructions for a few days then hope zero at the range when i phone owner. have to do same with the semi auto but hey am happy i now have and look forward to some good shooting. will make my .177 air rifle redundant. thanks for all advice

hello, i will do john, no so i think the red maybe handy for late evening and nights, still not sure if i should have gone for the 50mm scope but the RFD said would be okay and good with the T38 torch. reading rifle instructions for a few days then hope zero at the range when i phone owner. have to do same with the semi auto but hey am happy i now have and look forward to some good shooting. will make my .177 air rifle redundant. thanks for all advice

just ordered a single shot 455 magazine @ £15 which i will use as a starter.

I use High reflective sticky tape on all of my mags that separate from the gun. This sticky tape is like electricians insulating tape and it it used to stick onto moving shafts to measure rpm with an optical sensor. I think that 3M do it. If you drop a mag in a field you can go out with a powerful lamp and find it by it's reflection from a couple of fields away. Mags are expensive to replace.

I use High reflective sticky tape on all of my mags that separate from the gun. This sticky tape is like electricians insulating tape and it it used to stick onto moving shafts to measure rpm with an optical sensor. I think that 3M do it. If you drop a mag in a field you can go out with a powerful lamp and find it by it's reflection from a couple of fields away. Mags are expensive to replace.

Good idea :-)

I use they deus now nice and light so were are you from OPP. Must admit i have been doing more clayshooting than metal detecting.

hello john, i live south of oxford, as i said i do not do much detecting now, i now have a garret euro ace just for a few hours when there is a field on my friends farm available, dont do clubs or rallies, have an oldy laser power max as well, its just a bit of trout fishing, rifle shooting and now bought a semi auto for winter pigeons and vermin control.cheers

hello, thankyou to reply, ok i shall get a few different sub sonic makes and maybe a 50 H/Vs just to try out, so eley/wichester/SK/ maybe some CCI? . i hope to be testing on a proper range in gloucestershire with the new hawke rimmy scope fitted. this is a 50mtr zero and has 75/100/150 on reticule. i think 50 to 75 mtrs will be enough for me.cheers

just to update, spoke to qualified instructor and decided to book an hour at his rifle range in gloucestershire. despite the cost i think it will be worth doing as a beginner with rimfire shooting as he goes through rifle/ scope mount/ ammo/ etc etc, 30 minuites with him and 30 more on own for practice at different distances and can test the ammo you recommended in my CZ 455 .22. it is near cirencester. cheers

hello, have just recieved my FAC/SHOTTY permits now and getting the above rifle monday, i am allowed to purchase 600 so what brand and type can you recommend,.are there good cheap brands? or pay more for quality, was thinking to go 400 subsonic and 200 ? cheers.

hello, just an update so yesterday out with my new CZ455 LR to a proper range, bought some subs/ eley/ RWS / winchester to test. and using the new hawke rimmy scope 3x9x40 with adjustment reticule 50/75/100/125/200. all 3 ammo was spot on at 50mtrs with target and using a sand bag but when i did the 100mtrs check all ammo shot low with this scope. i will get a different brand when next in the RFD. the scope needs a proper test but i had to use the 125 point on reticule for 100mtr . if anyone thinking to buy my advice is get the bigger model and do a lot of practice to see where the bullet hit against the reticule adjustment and put in memory.(hope not like mine :lol: ) its not a bad lens for the price. after the range i was eager to try for a rabbit so made way back to farm got all ready loaded mag/ rifle on safe / my trusty V stick walked to my usual places but not one bloody rabbit out :no: ah well maybe next time.!!!!! cheers for replies on ammo

i think you need to find a bullet that hits were you are aiming at ,stick with that one and set the scope upto that. dont use any other bullets or the scope will be out. this is what i found when air rifle shooting, its amazing how things can be out with differant bullets. hey stick with it and have some fun . i find when the head hurts then stop :lol: . you need to make notes and use a camera phone to get pictures saves you having to remember things keep us posted.

i think you need to find a bullet that hits were you are aiming at ,stick with that one and set the scope upto that. dont use any other bullets or the scope will be out. this is what i found when air rifle shooting, its amazing how things can be out with differant bullets. hey stick with it and have some fun . i find when the head hurts then stop :lol: . you need to make notes and use a camera phone to get pictures saves you having to remember things keep us posted.

hello, will do john, the instructor said RWS were best in a CZ but i have enough to keep trying before i get some more. only allowed 600. i found the 40mm scope a bit poor at dusk so will set my red torch next time. when the clocks change i might put on my photon as on this farm it is only after 5 pm shooting. my .177 air rifle was made redundant ha ha. cheers

You maybe able to improve the 100 yd aim point in the scope if you shim the front of the scope up in the forward mount with some doubled greaseproof paper. It will increase the mid range trajectory a little though!

The scope maybe designed around hv ammo!

hello, thanks will keep that in mind.

You maybe able to improve the 100 yd aim point in the scope if you shim the front of the scope up in the forward mount with some doubled greaseproof paper. It will increase the mid range trajectory a little though!

The scope maybe designed around hv ammo!

well spotted Underdog looks like there is both.

http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/search.html

hello, just an update so yesterday out with my new CZ455 LR to a proper range, bought some subs/ eley/ RWS / winchester to test. and using the new hawke rimmy scope 3x9x40 with adjustment reticule 50/75/100/125/200. all 3 ammo was spot on at 50mtrs with target and using a sand bag but when i did the 100mtrs check all ammo shot low with this scope. i will get a different brand when next in the RFD. the scope needs a proper test but i had to use the 125 point on reticule for 100mtr . if anyone thinking to buy my advice is get the bigger model and do a lot of practice to see where the bullet hit against the reticule adjustment and put in memory.(hope not like mine :lol: ) its not a bad lens for the price. after the range i was eager to try for a rabbit so made way back to farm got all ready loaded mag/ rifle on safe / my trusty V stick walked to my usual places but not one bloody rabbit out :no: ah well maybe next time.!!!!! cheers for replies on ammo

hello, well i went out today about 5 for a few hours and got 2 rabbits about 75mtrs thinking to leave one about 50mtrs along the hedgerow out from my hide and down came a maggy and shot that to, getting use to the rimmy scope reticule but the 3x9x40 not ideal for dusk. red torch next time. the CZ a cracking rifle!!!!!!

The scope will be fine on a specific magnification. If the subs drop low, drop the mag to just over 6 times and use the 100yd ret point (you will need to zero at the same magnification for 50 times). That works fine on mine, but it may vary from rifle to rifle depending on barrel length and muzzle velocity. The rimfire ret scopes may be sold as used on a specific magnification (8 or 9 times from memory) BUT the actual magnification to get the bullet drop compensation rets lined up correctly will usually involve altering the magnification to compensate for differences in muzzle velocity compared with that designed for the scope using 40 grain bullets.

The scope will be fine on a specific magnification. If the subs drop low, drop the mag to just over 6 times and use the 100yd ret point (you will need to zero at the same magnification for 50 times). That works fine on mine, but it may vary from rifle to rifle depending on barrel length and muzzle velocity. The rimfire ret scopes may be sold as used on a specific magnification (8 or 9 times from memory) BUT the actual magnification to get the bullet drop compensation rets lined up correctly will usually involve altering the magnification to compensate for differences in muzzle velocity compared with that designed for the scope using 40 grain bullets.

hello, thanks for that, it is set on 9 so i will try and see if 6 or 7 is better although i dont like to shoot over 50/75 mtrs. not so good eye sight to.cheers

if you are looking a scope with markings for ranges i would recommend the Hawke Vantage 4-12x50 AO IR. Just a Milldot scope but have already worked out the ranges for each milldot for every 25 yards so can hit 4" steel plate comfortably every time out to 160 yards. I got the same sort of scope with the markings but hated not having AO as anything below 80 yards meant you had to turn zoom down as it is set for 100 yards. But with any AO or Sidewinder you can shoot at 10 yards with full zoom and clear picture. I have milldot calculations at home on my flip-up scope cap. let me know if you want details and i will send them when i get home. can also send a link to the scope. The bullets i have calculated for are cci subsonic but should be very similar for any other subsonic round.