A break in the weather...foxing time.

WelshMike

Like many others (Eccles is a prime example) I have been sat in the house most evenings for the last couple of weeks listening to the rain. Whilst I am not a fair weather shooter I draw the line at getting expensive NV kit soaked.

Managed to get out last night with 3 farms and about 800 acres to cover. As usual with my foxing I was using my Howa 1500 in .243 topped with a N750A. First 400 acres showed just the one fox ...typically the wrong side of the river and on a farm I dont have permission on. Onto farm number 3 at about 10.30. The same farm where the last 10 foxes have been shot.

As usual spotting is not quick with 500+ sets of eyes of all different colours thanks to all the sheep. Nothing showed for the first hour or so. Over to another likely spot where I spotted a fox at about 120 yards. Got set up and she obligingly trotted broadside to about 90 yards and paused, number 1 down. Carried on across another couple of fields and heard a dog fox calling. Got into a sensible spot in the field and had a quick call to be greeted by a nice bright set of eyes about 50 yards away which was a bit of a surprise....he must have come in like a steam train. Surprisingly he was still there when I got the NV onto him, I just needed him to clear the sheep and give me a safe shot..5 seconds later number 2 was down to a 40 yard chest shot.

By this point it was 1.45 so I decided to call it a night....well that was the theory. Quick look in the last field by my parking spot. 20 seconds revealed a bright pair of eyes which the NV confirmed was a fox. This one was happily curled up in the field in amongst 150 or so sheep so picking a safe shot was going to be fun. I managed to get to a slight rise in the field about 40 yards away where I watched him (well half of him) for 5 minutes....The reason for the half was that 2 sheep were just stood looking at him . Finally they moved clear so I gave him a squeak to get him to stand...not at all bothered so I shot him in the top of the chest where he lay. Number 3 down...coming up for 2.00 am..time for bed.

The ridiculous thing was that I also saw another fox but couldnt get a safe shot...19 on this farm since march and 13 in the last 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for reading

3%20foxes%2019.11.15_zpsands9lwe.jpg

Nice work Mike, you are certainly busy on there is that spot usually as hot ?

Cheers mate.

I started shooting crows on this farm a year or so ago and thought it would hold a lot of foxes but I didnt see or hear anything last winter. I shot a family (dog, vixen and 4 cubs) earlier in the year and then all quiet. The last 5 outings have accounted for 13 and each time I see foxes that I dont get a shot at. There is a lot of good habitat all around the farm, and the farmer keeps a lot of livestock so there is normally a dead ewe here or there for easy pickings. I have still been really surprised how many are there , the farmer has been very surprised as well.

Edited by WelshMike

Brilliant Mike. Well done mate. :good:

Cheers Steve

Well done fella

Nice work mate

Thanks gents

well done mike cracking job there ,the time does creep up on you when out foxing before you know it its silly 0"clock

Cheers buddy. I know what you mean about silly o clock....time flies when your having fun...or chasing foxes rounds a field :lol:

Excellent field report mate. Bonny looking foxes, doing well on lamb!

Thanks U. The vixen was small but in great condition and both the dogs were a good size. You know first hand how good quality welsh country foxes are :good:

Well done Mike your certainly knocking a hole in them, where the hell are they all coming from around you?

Thanks Tonker. I dont think that anybody shoots the 3 or 4 farms around my permission, or if they do they dont do it very well. There is a good amount of woodland and the farm I shoot always has a good source of food one way or another. As such I think that there are probably at least 5 families of foxes on or near to the farm. Even if you averaged 5 foxes per family I still have a few left to shoot. I also think that when I shot the resident pair earlier on in the year this has left the door open for the others to come in. Keeps me busy ehich is always good.

Well Done Mike. :good::good::good: Nice write up and they look well fed, don't think they needed and lead to make them heavier :lol: atb T

Cheers Terry. Thats why I use an 80 grain bullet, Every little helps :lol: Hopefully there will be a break in the weather so you can get out. Though I suspect all these nights in front of the fire will have turned you soft :lol: I will have to try and find you a camo onesie :yahoo:

Thanks Tonker. I dont think that anybody shoots the 3 or 4 farms around my permission, or if they do they dont do it very well. There is a good amount of woodland and the farm I shoot always has a good source of food one way or another. As such I think that there are probably at least 5 families of foxes on or near to the farm. Even if you averaged 5 foxes per family I still have a few left to shoot. I also think that when I shot the resident pair earlier on in the year this has left the door open for the others to come in. Keeps me busy ehich is always good.

Cheers Terry. Thats why I use an 80 grain bullet, Every little helps :lol: Hopefully there will be a break in the weather so you can get out. Though I suspect all these nights in front of the fire will have turned you soft :lol: I will have to try and find you a camo onesie :yahoo:

:lol: you out tonight, if not i'll ring you this afternoon we could have a bash on my perms tonight. Don't think iv'e got anything on her who must be obeyed still in pit. :lol: so not 100% sure

:lol: you out tonight, if not i'll ring you this afternoon we could have a bash on my perms tonight. Don't think iv'e got anything on her who must be obeyed still in pit. :lol: so not 100% sure

Sorry Terry didnt pick this up mate. My internet connection at home is horrific. Lets see what the forecast is like over the next couple of weeks and try and get out :good:

Well done Mike 3 good healthy looking fox hope to get out this week when my Archer arrives thanks to Terry Eccles keep up the good work

Cheers buddy. Good luck with the archer mate. I am hoping to get out with terry soon so he can educate me.I dont think he know what hes in for :lol: