pondering my rem700

tonker

I see my rem 700 synthetic stock, has what I will call a barrel support just about an inch inside the fore-end,

thus giving no free float of the barrel. For the rem 700 owners, I presume they do this for a reason and trying to ease this to give a bit of free float could be a bad idea. Your opinions would be welcome. Just trying to find something to occupy my mind during this weather.

Which model and stock.

One of my most accurate off the shelf rifles is a Remington with a HS Precision stock which has exactly what you describe.

Mine is a .222 adl made in 2003 according to the date stamp but I haven't a clue what the stock model is other than it's synthetic. The rifle is as new is there a way of telling the stock? If so I'll look. but sure as eggs are eggs it'll be the bog standard cheapo adl rem model

Edited by tonker

I had a pressure point on my sps, I bought it new about six years ago, it didn't shoot well with it or with it ground away, I replace the stock with a second hand Hogue full alley bedded, it shot slightly better, I replaced the trigger as found the original impossible to adjust due to the gunk they plastered on it. With the Timney trigger it shot slightly better again but struggled to maintain 1 inch groups consistently what ever it was fed. To get to 1 inch groups it was a costly journey for a new rifle and it didn't inspire confidence, I sold it and bought a second hand Tikka, 12 homeloads later it was shooting finger nails sized groups consistently. 700's aren't what they were 15 years ago, to keep up with the market they have cut quality to save costs, getting a good one these days is a case of being lucky.

I had a pressure point on my sps, I bought it new about six years ago, it didn't shoot well with it or with it ground away, I replace the stock with a second hand Hogue full alley bedded, it shot slightly better, I replaced the trigger as found the original impossible to adjust due to the gunk they plastered on it. With the Timney trigger it shot slightly better again but struggled to maintain 1 inch groups consistently what ever it was fed. To get to 1 inch groups it was a costly journey for a new rifle and it didn't inspire confidence, I sold it and bought a second hand Tikka, 12 homeloads later it was shooting finger nails sized groups consistently. 700's aren't what they were 15 years ago, to keep up with the market they have cut quality to save costs, getting a good one these days is a case of being lucky.

What he says. Wish I'd never bought mine. New stock, timiney trigger, and still won't group well with factory ammo. Hand loads 1 inch is the best I've done

Agreed. Mine was vastly improved when I got the bolt handle cleared of the stock.

I managed to do a trigger job on mine but it took six hours! Shan't bother with another remmie unless from the early nineties and a BDL.

Bad stocks lead to bad rifles, walnut for me my Remi 700 in 243 shoots 1/2" groups at 200m with home loads and just over 1/2" with Fedrals at 100m.

No matter what rifle the forend should on a free floated barrel not touch the barrel when you squeeze them together. If it's a plastic fantastic stock the forend may need reinforcing with steel or carbon fibre rods to stiffen it.

Bad stocks lead to bad rifles, walnut for me my Remi 700 in 243 shoots 1/2" groups at 200m with home loads and just over 1/2" with Fedrals at 100m.

No matter what rifle the forend should on a free floated barrel not touch the barrel when you squeeze them together. If it's a plastic fantastic stock the forend may need reinforcing with steel or carbon fibre rods to stiffen it.

I did that with mine. Expoxy some alloy arrows in the foreend.