Field & Country Fair, Cornbury, Oxfordshire.

Penelope

I went today, didn't think much of it. Not much there, and very little to see in any of the arenas. Was hoping to get some nice meats and things for the coming weekend bbqs etc but there were none of the food or crafty type tents you have come to expect. Three way temp traffic lights to get in also, so I'd leave early as I'm guessing it will be 10x busier tomorrow than it was today. I reckon it'll be carnage. I defo won't be back next year.

I went today, didn't think much of it. Not much there, and very little to see in any of the arenas. Was hoping to get some nice meats and things for the coming weekend bbqs etc but there were none of the food or crafty type tents you have come to expect. Three way temp traffic lights to get in also, so I'd leave early as I'm guessing it will be 10x busier tomorrow than it was today. I reckon it'll be carnage. I defo won't be back next year.

Ditto

Went today as its near the office.

Not a lot there to justify a journey so if you are within 1hr worth it.

Ardingly is this weekend so probably more going on there for Surrey, Sussex and Kent folk.

Thanks you two :whistling::hmm: - but I am still going to give it a go on Saturday. Good job I only have a 15 minute journey to get there.

I went today with the other half, had been round it all in 45 minutes. Thought it was pretty rubbish, not much to see at all really and the 'gunmakers quarter' was laughably small. I know its the first one, but its not like these fairs are a new concept. I wont be going again.

Bloody long way to go for a day out with an early start, and the mrs wasnt impressed either, so i'm in the dog house.

Edited by adzyvilla

Obviously many were expecting something similar to the now defunct CLA Game fair, so were

disappointed, but whilst I agree that there were nowhere near as many exhibitors, the entrance fee was

not exhorbitant, no madding crowds to fight through, easy access to what stands there were, plenty of

seating areas, clean toilets and enough eateries.I agree that there could have been some food stalls

selling meat, pies, sausages etc.to take home.

I think that those exhibitors that did attend, were testing the water for future shows. All shows

started from humble beginnings so we can only hope that it continues next year, but needs to be

supported both by exhibitors and the public, so negativity does it no good whatsoever.

For Adzyvilla to get round in 45 minutes, he must have missed out on not stopping to chat with anyone.

For anyone remotely interested in old cartridges and collecting them, Tom Grange on the Shooting Gazettestand was a mine of information and what he doesn`t know about old cartridges really isn`t worth

knowing.

Simon Whitehead`s ferreting demonstration was both informative and amusing.

Pete Theobald was on hand to let out some of his secrets how he manages to average 100+ days at the

pigeons.

The cooking theatre (not really my cup of tea, I just shoot and eat stuff, not cook it) was well

supported throughout the day.

The dog demonstrations were well worth watching with all breeds, not just the normal springers and labs.

It did make a pleasant change to be able to visit each stand, have a chat with the proprietors and not

having to jossle one`s way in and out.

Another aspect pleasantly missing were those individuals who used to attend the CLA who found it

`de rigeur` and totally necessary to wear their Hunters or Le Chameau wellies unzipped in the middle of July with temperatures in the mid 20 Deg.C. What was all that about ? We all wear wellies at the

appropriate place and time but in the height of the summer !!

I`m sorry to disagree with the other posts, but for my money I enjoyed the day, managed to occupy my time chatting to people and only hope that it goes from strength to strength, but needs effort all round.

One disappointment for me was not being able to meet up with Bakerboy who I have never met but appears

to be an all round good egg! All the coaches on the BASC line were kept busy and as he wasn`t wearing

his crow hood, from a distance I could not recognise him ! I do know that he is the same age as me, but

they all looked decidedly younger.

Perhaps I`ve had a tougher life.

As this fair was run by Timeinc. (Shooting Times, Sporting Gun etc)and I know that they have recently

sold their Bluefin building on the southbank for something in the region of 200 million and purchased a substantial building in Farnborough Hampshire for relative peanuts, I suspect that they can afford this first fair to be a loss leader and only hope that they decide on one next year with hopefully better

attendance of exhibitors and public alike. Perhaps better and earlier advertising throughout the trade

is the answer.

OB

Well said OB,

Myself and my Son both attended the show yesterday and I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Yes the show wasn't on the scale of the now defunct CLA(I think we need to move on from comparing to what was!).

Nice to see that there was no one trying to sell me a hot tub,swimming pool.

It appeared to me that no stall holder had any out and out discounts on "The branded names" but if they have had to pay through the nose for a pitch why would want to lose more money than necessary.

I personally enjoyed watching the scurries and gundog demonstrations and poking my nose into the cooking demos as well.

Obviously many were expecting something similar to the now defunct CLA Game fair, so were

disappointed, but whilst I agree that there were nowhere near as many exhibitors, the entrance fee was

not exhorbitant, no madding crowds to fight through, easy access to what stands there were, plenty of

seating areas, clean toilets and enough eateries.I agree that there could have been some food stalls

I think that those exhibitors that did attend, were testing the water for future shows. All shows

started from humble beginnings so we can only hope that it continues next year, but needs to be

supported both by exhibitors and the public, so negativity does it no good whatsoever.

For Adzyvilla to get round in 45 minutes, he must have missed out on not stopping to chat with anyone.

For anyone remotely interested in old cartridges and collecting them, Tom Grange on the Shooting Gazettestand was a mine of information and what he doesn`t know about old cartridges really isn`t worth

knowing.

Pete Theobald was on hand to let out some of his secrets how he manages to average 100+ days at the

pigeons.

The cooking theatre (not really my cup of tea, I just shoot and eat stuff, not cook it) was well

The dog demonstrations were well worth watching with all breeds, not just the normal springers and labs.

It did make a pleasant change to be able to visit each stand, have a chat with the proprietors and not

Another aspect pleasantly missing were those individuals who used to attend the CLA who found it

`de rigeur` and totally necessary to wear their Hunters or Le Chameau wellies unzipped in the middle of July with temperatures in the mid 20 Deg.C. What was all that about ? We all wear wellies at the

I`m sorry to disagree with the other posts, but for my money I enjoyed the day, managed to occupy my time chatting to people and only hope that it goes from strength to strength, but needs effort all round.

One disappointment for me was not being able to meet up with Bakerboy who I have never met but appears

to be an all round good egg! All the coaches on the BASC line were kept busy and as he wasn`t wearing

his crow hood, from a distance I could not recognise him ! I do know that he is the same age as me, but

As this fair was run by Timeinc. (Shooting Times, Sporting Gun etc)and I know that they have recently

sold their Bluefin building on the southbank for something in the region of 200 million and purchased a substantial building in Farnborough Hampshire for relative peanuts, I suspect that they can afford this first fair to be a loss leader and only hope that they decide on one next year with hopefully better

attendance of exhibitors and public alike. Perhaps better and earlier advertising throughout the trade

is the answer.

OB

Good post OB, raised some interesting points there. I did have a good chat with a chap on the GWCT stand about woodcock ringing and tracking as this is something I am involved in, and also spent some time in the gundog tent talking to the owner of the delightful curly coat retrievers. 45 minutes was probably a slight exaggeration, and posted when I was still a bit 'hot', and I will admit I only spent the time to watch one demo (gundogs), but seeing how limited the opportunities for shopping were, my wife who was a big CLA fair fan was making threatening noises from the outset so I knew I was onto a loser pretty early on. I never expected it to be a smaller CLA as the organisers were deliberately trying to distance themselves from the previous events and I have no doubts that subsequent shows will be an improvement, but I haven't changed my mind about not going again when I have the sandringham show on my doorstep that offers more at this moment in time.

hope you enjoy it next time round.

Ok, not the CLA for sure, but I thought it was ok. Got there at 9:30am and didn't leave until 5pm. 2 1/5 hours to get there and no mental traffic when we did. The Berretta stand were doing great discounts on clothing on the Saturday and my GF bought a nice gillet and a jacket for £90 (list for both was £450), so she came away happy. Enjoyed watching the gundog demos and the fact that is was easy to get round with no crowds.

knowing.

pigeons.

is the answer.

OB

Ah thanks for your kind words, did you ask for me on the BASC stand?> I was there for the 3 days only leaving to take the 68 year old plus bladder for it' usual walk and work out.

I now have a Labrador mask as recently shown on PW as Bakerboy now has a dog, so perhaps you patted me on the head and walked past me. Hopefully we can catch up in the future.

Cheers

Terry