brattonsound cabinet fault

telf

had my cabinet a sentinel RL5+ for six years,the locks always been very "clunky" for want of a better word.Went to open it yesterday,key wouldnt turn more than a quarter of a turn,mucked on with it for an hour,nothing.Phoned brattonsound who said lift the door with a screwdriver whilst keeping pressure on the key and hitting the door with my hand,must think im a bloody octopus

Anyway some eighteen hours later,several more calls to brattonsound,a sore hand and a very frustrated shooter,still not into cabinet.Last call from brattonsound was at 5pm last night who said he will send a new lock out and some numbers for locksmiths,now looking at £75+ for locksmiths bill

Just thought i would have a rant and see if anybody else had problems with BS cabinets,i know its six years old but i would have thought they would the locks would last longer than that when you consider their probably opened maximum once a day,probably alot less than that

I had to do some running repairs on mine, inside the locks are two metal plates that have to slide past each other and any rust spots or crud stop this happening, I used some gun grease to lubricate and all is fine now but getting in required holding the key with mole grips to get enough purchase to turn the lock

Never had an issue with mine after 9 years but forewarned is forearmed! Will add a little grease to the key and work it into the lock just in case....

It's a bit trickier than that, you actually have to take off the panel on the inside of the door to see the two plates, can't miss them, work the action and you'll see the one that is fixed as part of the locks and the sliding one attached to the actual bolts, a little grease in there and silent cabinet opening for those early morning trips!

It's a bit trickier than that, you actually have to take off the panel on the inside of the door to see the two plates, can't miss them, work the action and you'll see the one that is fixed as part of the locks and the sliding one attached to the actual bolts, a little grease in there and silent cabinet opening for those early morning trips!

Many thanks for the clarification. I'll remove the panel and do as you suggest :good:

Telf, what did Welshwarrior say exactly? Can you talk us through it?

The bullion vault at the Bank of England has been playing up lately. If we know the trick then i can fix it and make sure the gold is safe ☺

i would have to show you ;) ,give me a nod when your going and ill tag along ,well see if we can fix it together :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...