Pintail

wildfowler.250

Well I've been Folwing regularly for 15 years now and I've only ever shot two pintail,(right and left). So I kept them for a few years under correct conditions and sent them off to the taxidermist when I had the spare monies to have them mounted. Turns out despite everything else, they were too freezer burnt to be mounted which was disappointing,(all you can do is laugh but it's such a waste!).

Ah well, hears to another season. Hopefully it wont be another 15 before I manage another one..

post-11837-0-77490600-1472043369_thumb.jpg

I had a similar experience with my first Pintail, a cracking drake in full plumage, which I wrapped really carefully before consigning to the bottom of the chest freezer, out of sight of SWMBO. At the time I couldn't afford the taxidermy costs and intended to have it set up when funds allowed. Inevitably it was forgotten in the bottom of the freezer and when eventually unearthed some years later was badly freezer burned. I've shot Pintail since but never another drake with such good plumage! :no:

Wished I'd thought about asking for the pins! Maybe have to organize a trip down south sometime, think they're more common in England than Scotland?

There are still places in England where they are about in reasonable numbers but around our way on the East coast they are now quite a rarity with only a handful coming on the estuary each year , as an example when they done a bird count a couple of years ago they counted nearly 15,000 Widgeon , around the same numbers of Pinks and only 94 Pintail ,

This reminds me of the story told to me by a very well known shooter/author from Cambridgeshire (sadly

no longer with us)when back in the fifties, he shot at the time, a rare type of dove not knowing exactlywhat it was and spent £20 ( a good deal of money in those days)having it stuffed and proudly showing it to all and sundry, only to have his pride somewhat deflated when said doves descended on the east coast of England in their thousands.

Yes, his rarity was the collared dove !

This reminds me of the story told to me by a very well known shooter/author from Cambridgeshire (sadlyno longer with us)when back in the fifties, he shot at the time, a rare type of dove not knowing exactlywhat it was and spent £20 ( a good deal of money in those days)having it stuffed and proudly showing it to all and sundry, only to have his pride somewhat deflated when said doves descended on the east coast of England in their thousands.Yes, his rarity was the collared dove !

Yes but that may have been the first one? Lol!