1st rat to jump from the sinking ship ?

69chris

I wonder how the general public of other EU states feel about the UK and Brexit?

A few days after the Brexit vote we were at a village fete organised by the local hunting club. There were around 150 - 200 people there, predominantly French. We'd asked to be seated amongst the Frenchies mainly to avoid the obnoxious Aussie guy who we had sat next to the previous year. The mayor always puts the non French together. We were sat with a family of elderly sisters from the village and their husbands. Initially when we got talking and the subject of Brexit came up my wife took a conciliatory line. Turned out they were all for it and wanted their own vote. same with the younger family on the other side of us. They all see the EU as a big scam run for large businesses at the expense of the public.

Our Dutch neighbours and my Dutch customers also want out, and another customer who has only recently moved to France from Germany says that the German public are fed up with bank rolling Greece and Spain. (They don't seem to understand that they get the money back which keeps them employed.) Our Cypriot friends say that joining the EU and Euro was the worst decision they ever made.

The biggest losers from Brexit other than the British workers employed in the EU are the central European countries such as Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary. They are likely to receive far less in subsidies in future and will no longer be able to export their unemployed to the UK.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few days after the Brexit vote we were at a village fete organised by the local hunting club. There were around 150 - 200 people there, predominantly French. We'd asked to be seated amongst the Frenchies mainly to avoid the obnoxious Aussie guy who we had sat next to the previous year. The mayor always puts the non French together. We were sat with a family of elderly sisters from the village and their husbands. Initially when we got talking and the subject of Brexit came up my wife took a conciliatory line. Turned out they were all for it and wanted their own vote. same with the younger family on the other side of us. They all see the EU as a big scam run for large businesses at the expense of the public.

Our Dutch neighbours and my Dutch customers also want out, and another customer who has only recently moved to France from Germany says that the German public are fed up with bank rolling Greece and Spain. (They don't seem to understand that they get the money back which keeps them employed.) Our Cypriot friends say that joining the EU and Euro was the worst decision they ever made.

The biggest losers from Brexit other than the British workers employed in the EU are the central European countries such as Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary. They are likely to receive far less in subsidies in future and will no longer be able to export their unemployed to the UK.

Prior to the referendum my daughter through her work visited many European countries. Business people she talked to said the same as the Mayor of one large German town ... For Gods sake get out while you can.

Only just read this, thanks for taking the time to answer my question, very interesting and I had a feeling it would be along those lines, the main stream media here is very good at painting a different picture.

I wonder how the general public of other EU states feel about the UK and Brexit?

Its a very mixed bag, we have an extensive distributor network throughout europe and on my visits Brexit has always come up in conversations. Most people are shocked it happened but can understand why, no one is happy to see the back of us in fact the complete opposite everyone is quite sad its happened.

The Dutch are a funny bunch their political system is even more bonkers than ours and even though a lot of people want to leave it as they see the EU as a big drain as they are a large contributor they also know they are much more dependent on it than the UK because of their size and the fact they are part of the mainland. I believe Geert Wilders will get in but i dont think he will get a Leave Vote in his referendum. Also the Dutch in general seem more Liberal than the UK.

Germans very divided. I mentioned prices to one customer possibly going up because of the Euro and our steel costs and his response was quite short tempered "you voted for it its your problem". Another company fully supports it and will also want to vote out if they got the opportunity. There are a lot of very unhappy people in Germany as they see their money being wasted to keep other countries a float.

Malta and Cyprus, both know they have no real alternative to the EU as they have to be part of something due to their size and being so reliant on Tourism but agree the EU is broken and the EU voting out is a good move for us.

Italy have got so many of their own problems they haven't got time to worry about us, most i have spoken to would rather not pass judgement on it.

France you just need to watch the news and Le Pen. The recent terror attacks have seen a lot of people opinions change.

These are all just my observations from a tiny number of people. The other thing i found though virtually everyone thought the EU as it is is broken (for want a better word) and needs major change to survive. Importantly everyone has said they will continue to support us and there will be no effect to our working relationship, most of our customers also import from outside the EU and apart from a couple of forms there really is nothing more to it. If import tariffs are applied then so be it, they will (assuming the powers that be have any sense) be considerably less than the 15% discount the exchange rate has given European customers.

Well now the Chilcot report has been completed and he has officially got away with everything I suppose he feels ifs safe to stick his head above the parapet again.

Well now the Chilcot report has been completed and he has officially got away with everything I suppose he feels ifs safe to stick his head above the parapet again.

looks like the Austrian chancellor has found his voice as he wants to see us punished severely for attempting to leave?

There will always be those who attempt to bribe and bully their way through politics. The EU is full of them. But what these people don't fully understand is just how strong a hand the UK has.We will see this once Article 50 has been triggered. The EU thinks that the UK will not be able to strike trade deals with other non-EU nations until after they have fully left the EU in two years time. I predict that Theresa May will simply ignore that and get on with negotiating trade deals and the EU won't be able to do a thing about it.

I've been watching Tony Blair's speech about Brexit on the TV. In the end I had to walk away, it was that twisted I couldn't stand it any more.

Who does he think he is, I only hope his reputation is the kiss of death for what he is trying to peddle now

Its classic Blair stuff, Tony Baloney at his finest.

shud have seen some of the e-mails come in as he was making the speech...........i dont think he relises how hated he is.....................

i gave up watching and went to cut my toenails instead...........................

one of the e-mails read.......(more or less)...................".never has such a great man made so many momentous desisions based on so much imperfect imformation"

wonder what that is reference to ... :hmm::hmm::hmm:

and now this tit has re-surfaced !!!!

To call him a tit is IMHO being very unkind to all of the other tits?

Most are lovely to look at and just enhance our environment?

He on the other hand almost defies description?

All of this mullarky just because some of us want the right under a democratic process to be able to govern ourselves, how awful of me and a few others?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/20/jean-claude-juncker-could-step-european-commission-president/

Showdown time. Mrs. Merkel fears that Juncker's proposals for unification of the EU could cost her the election. She is being backed by France and Holland in requesting that he doesn't publish his plans. He is reported as being ready to quit. Happy days :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/20/jean-claude-juncker-could-step-european-commission-president/

Showdown time. Mrs. Merkel fears that Juncker's proposals for unification of the EU could cost her the election. She is being backed by France and Holland in requesting that he doesn't publish his plans. He is reported as being ready to quit. Happy days :)

Its all basically going the right way. The EU needed a massive reality check and they are getting it now

The totally arrogant are going to be replaced by people who are afraid of the consequences should the EU fail. That's healthy

Edited by Vince Green

What's the view on the announcement by the EU that the UK will have to pay a large bill when it leaves, I find that hard to believe as if that's the case Surely we should also receive the benefits that come with it, I hope the government tells them to do one!

was just reading about this, they est 51 billion pounds to cover contracts we're tied into and eu officials pensions !!!!!!

It has been covered before. Theresa May has said that the UK will honour any agreements made prior to Brexit, but will not contribute one penny to the EU after that except for programs they choose to contribute to. There have been various comments made by EU and national officials about the amount that the UK should pay will be in the region of £50 billion. But nobody has a clue as to the real amount.

Last week a British official made mention of reclaiming the EU assets that the UK has contributed to and will not have the benefit of in future; The EU HQs in Brussels and Strasbourg are worth £ hundreds of millions, the infrastructure that the EU has paid for in the form of roads, dams and factories would run to £ billions. If those were deducted from the Brexit bill the end payment would be considerably less.

At the moment there are two camps; the ones scared that Brexit will spread and so are trying to frighten other countries into not following. Those are mainly EU politicians. And another group, mainly politicians in Germany and Italy that is growing in strength. Those people realise that cutting of their nose to spite their face wouldn't be beneficial. The Germans and Italians would lose tens of thousands of jobs in car manufacturing and other engineering and manufacturing industries. They won't let the EU cut the UK off without a tariff free trade deal.

What's the view on the announcement by the EU that the UK will have to pay a large bill when it leaves, I find that hard to believe as if that's the case Surely we should also receive the benefits that come with it, I hope the government tells them to do one!

That was Junkers trying to act the hard man but in reality just making himself look a little bit desperate

I find the way the EU operates almost surreal, you just couldn't make it up, on the other side half the UK is protesting against trump (in fairness I think he does hold some bigoted views, however there is far worse & he's been democratically elected) while the most undemocratic grotesque dictatorship and bully that is the EU is supported by most of the same people who denounce trump, has the world gone mad?

I find the way the EU operates almost surreal, you just couldn't make it up, on the other side half the UK is protesting against trump (in fairness I think he does hold some bigoted views, however there is far worse & he's been democratically elected) while the most undemocratic grotesque dictatorship and bully that is the EU is supported by most of the same people who denounce trump, has the world gone mad?

Flipping right!