48 replies to this topic

#21 Chezney

Chezney
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Joined 21-January 06

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

Essex eh? Crayfish are 1 of the nicest shell fish and if i can get my mits on them ill come up there, The river i used to go to around me is dried up and 1 near me is so hard to find with the directions that ive been given by a bloke that probs cant tie his shoelaces :D

And the person 2 posts are above is right but its easy to tell just lift their claws up and it'll be red as a cherry pie, thats the yankie 1's u wanna munch on :lol:

Edited by Chezney, 30 January 2006 - 10:15 PM.

#22 young airgunner

young airgunner
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • Joined 05-May 06

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:12 PM

if i catch them when fishing, i just kill them and bin them, there not good for the fish

#23 Chezney

Chezney
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Joined 21-January 06

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hmmmn, this is a crayfish RECIPE post... don't think binning them is a recipe... :good:

#24 Lord Geordie

Lord Geordie
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7503 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:06 PM

1 live crayfish (spiny lobster), weighing about 1.5-1.75kg/3-4lb

If they are that bloody big Pike, I will drive up and collect some!!!!

And give you beer tokens!

LB :)

:lol: :D :D :( :lol:

I noticed that too but thought i would leave the funnies to someone else :lol:

I wish they WERE that big i would have a few of my own.

LG

#25 Maori Haz

Maori Haz
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Joined 10-September 05

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

does anyone know a list of lakes or rivers etc. infected with the signals.. because i would quite like to have a go at catching/cooking and sampling this little beasts..

or even better anyone know any rivers/lakes in Surrey :rolleyes:

thanks for any info :lol:

#26 BAZ1664

BAZ1664
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 06-August 07

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have three lakes jammed full of Crayfish which need to disappear ASAP.

Any good recipes?

aNY CHANCE YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH FOR ME (sorry,that bloody caps lock has got to go) to catch a few?

Baz Essex

#27 peter-peter

peter-peter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts
  • Joined 06-March 07

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hope that keeps ya going for a while Pike.

Regards,

Axe.

axe 3 to 4 lb crayfish? the lads gotten a big duckpond. sorry 3 lakes. <_< :lol:

#28 Axe

Axe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11490 posts
  • Joined 25-February 05

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

Hope that keeps ya going for a while Pike.

Regards,

Axe.

axe 3 to 4 lb crayfish? the lads gotten a big duckpond. sorry 3 lakes. :blush: :blush:

Thats the trouble with robbing american recipes, they often have different wording for different things. Recipe removed.

#29 Guest_The Outlaw_*

Guest_The Outlaw_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

If anyone is interested in theese little monsters still, the Ouze near milton keynes ad all the canals and most of the lakes are alive with them.

I can put anyone that wants some in touch with a guy that owns a turf farm near here.

He will welcome anyone that wants to trap them.

The recipes look great, I might get a couple of traps my self.

Tony

#30 Chard

Chard
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts
  • Joined 19-August 07

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

I think Axe's Christian name is Delia :lol:

#31 bignoel

bignoel
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3346 posts
  • Joined 21-August 07

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

3lb to 4lb crayfish lets have pic up of them ,they are lovely to eat i used to catch mine in nets with mackrel as bait or a tin of oily mackrel the tin with puntrue holes in .caught a mink in one. one time he had drowned by the time i checked but that was in a 5 gallon plastic drum a home made cray trap. worked well.

#32 holly

holly
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2927 posts
  • Joined 07-November 08

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

crayfish traps available on ebay i bait mine with chicken wings i also take along a fishing rod and dont bother with a hook just tie a wing on and dangle in the shallows i have 2 traps and a 2 hour session on my local river midsummer will produce an average of 100 of the tasty little critters ( MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE RED CLAWED SIGNAL CRAYFISH) white native crayfish are protected a check on the governments web site will give you plenty of info . the rules have changed and unless you have a licence you are not allowed to catch them they are saying that trappers were only taking the larger ones if the larger ones are left they will eat the eggs and eat the smaller ones self culling sort of thing the one exeception is if you are a fisherman and you catch one or a hundred on a rod and line baited with say a chicken wing for roach you can take them home and cook them . it is against the law to return signal crayfish to the water where it came from you could be prosecuted for illegle stocking .applying for a licence aint worth the hassle i looked into it and you have to have your traps inspected and tagged you need to inform the athouritys a few weeks in advanced of your intentions your exact grid referance location of your pots the time start to finish of trapping and loads more red tape (hence the fishing rod ) :good:

#33 the_haganizer

the_haganizer
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Joined 07-December 08

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

This is from Valantine Warner's 'What to eat now' program:

Crayfish with hazelnut and pastis butter

Ingredients
For the stuffing
1 large handful slightly stale, rustic-style bread, torn into pieces
large handful hazelnuts
1 lemon, zest and juice
125g/4oz butter, cut into small cubes
2 garlic cloves, chopped
splash pastis
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
large handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped
For the crayfish
30 raw signal crayfish (substitute with langoustines if unavailable)
lemon wedges, to serve

Method
1. Preheat the grill to its highest setting.
2. Place the bread into a food processor and blend into medium-sized breadcrumbs.
3. Add the remaining stuffing ingredients, except for the parsley, to the breadcrumbs and blend until thoroughly combined. (If it becomes a lump, remove the lid and break it up a little with a spoon.) Stir in the chopped parsely.
4. For the crayfish, using a sharp knife, cut all of the crayfish lengthways from tip to tail. Remove any waste sacs from the crayfish.
5. Arrange the crayfish, side-by-side, on a roasting tray. Smear up a generous amount of the stuffing onto the flesh side of each crayfish half.
6. Sprinkle the crayfish with salt and place under the grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes, or until completely cooked through. The shells will turn completely red when cooked. If there are any remaining signs of dark brown or blue colouring, they are not ready and require a few minutes more.
7. To serve, transfer the cooked crayfish to a plate, and arrange in rows. Serve with lemon wedges.

#34 marcyboy

marcyboy
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 09-January 09

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

iirc :lol: you can pull off the last tail section and pull out the intestinal tract in one, then insert a skewer into it then cook over the edge of a barbecue or open fire and they steam in their own shells...lovely :yes:

#35 bruno22rf

bruno22rf
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2988 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

easy crayfish - ask your local fishmonger for a bag of heads/guts and pop them in the freezer.Buy a handfull of traps from ebay.shove a small handfull of the frozen bait in the traps and fix the trap to about 5-6 metres of coloured rope.chuck said trap in river in the evening(its less likely to get nicked overnight) and pull it out early the next day.put the horrid little critters in a bucket of fresh water until you need them-this helps to purge them.Any stretch of the ouse is gauranteed to produce the blighters in quantity and the milton keynes stretch is where they originally escaped.You are very unlikely to catch a native crayfish as the signal has all but wiped them out.p.s. you need a licence from DEFRA to trap them-i must admit that of all the people i know who catch crayfish-ive never come accross anybody who has one- :o

#36 Baldrick

Baldrick
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4203 posts
  • Joined 07-April 04

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

A client's fishing tenant on a substantial irrigation reservoir adjoining on of the rivers here in Essex trapped 2,400kg of signal crayfish in 2008. Abstracting water from the river is necessary for the coming year's spud crop, but the reservoir is suddenly alive with little pincered things. I'm collecting some off him next week, so I will give the recipes a try. If they taste as good as I hope, I'll be buying myself some traps and a DEFRA licence. Free crayfish, to complement my diet of free venison, rabbit and pigeon.

#37 holly

holly
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2927 posts
  • Joined 07-November 08

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

A client's fishing tenant on a substantial irrigation reservoir adjoining on of the rivers here in Essex trapped 2,400kg of signal crayfish in 2008. Abstracting water from the river is necessary for the coming year's spud crop, but the reservoir is suddenly alive with little pincered things. I'm collecting some off him next week, so I will give the recipes a try. If they taste as good as I hope, I'll be buying myself some traps and a DEFRA licence. Free crayfish, to complement my diet of free venison, rabbit and pigeon.

if you get the defra licence please post how easy or hard it was to get cheers ???

#38 bruno22rf

bruno22rf
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2988 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

I seem to rememberl that the DEFRA licence does not just involve paying your money and getting it via the postman.As i recall you have to provide written permission on a stretch of river previously deemed under threat by DEFRA and then you have to submit reports on each time you catch them and what species they are-unless things have changed you can see why very few people bother with a licence.

Edited by bruno22rf, 08 February 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#39 thinxs

thinxs
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Joined 21-January 09

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

Anybody know of anywhere in kent that has these tasty little snacks present?

The Basingstoke canal is full of them.

Have been told tie bait (chicken carcase, fish ect) to a bicycle wheel. Attach rope to hub of wheel lower into water. Wait a while, lift out swiftly. The crayfish will have thier legs tangled in the spokes. Job done.

#40 bruno22rf

bruno22rf
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2988 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

Im willing to bet that any river in your area that has fish also has these critters-you never see them but the *****s are most likely there in great numbers(just outside my village runs a ditch that is no more than 6 inches deep at the deepest point-i can catch loads in this water but never see any).Traps are cheap on flea-bay and scraps of fish are free from your fishmonger-look to get between 4-10 in each trap per night.They taste fantastic ( which is their main down-fall!) and ive yet to meet a fishing club that wont welcome you with open arms if you ask to trap them.If you fancy a go and dont mind a jaunt up to bucks in the summer you are most welcome to come along with me -bring some traps and i will show you how easy it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users