First day with ladder trap

Dave

That was empty yesterday afternoon !!!!!! - Amazing result.

TonyC

thats a ace result how you gunna despach them

Hi TC. Good aint it? You'l be getting letter soon. Wink, wink. :yes:

Hi Russ. Usually finish up with bleeding hands. :hmm:

The original plans were from the old MAFF web site, but I've found them on another forum. I added extra corner braces to strengthen it. Also made sectional, so can be dismantled and moved easily. If anyone wants to make one, I'll measure mine up and give dimensions of panels.

If the Mods think it's ok, why not make the plan a Sticky

Here you go :-

post-6734-1207319078.jpg

Edited by wy111

When you say grey crow do you mean a hooded crow?? They are very rare nowadays in england, most used to come over as awinter migrant from Scandanavia. I saw one near Hull a couple of years ago and started a bit of a twitch among the birding fraternity.

I don't really punish the rooks too much, shoot the odd one as a deterent to hang the carcass on a new drilling or on a laid patch if they are showing too much interest, but they do little harm 99% of the time. I do wage all out war on the carrions though, they are real villains. All those people setting larsen traps for magpies would be better off targetting the carrions, one of those is worth a dozen dead maggies IMO.

The reason I clean up Rooks is because they absolutely murder the feeders. Last year I caught nearly 200. Imagine 200 Rooks, eating just 1oz of corn a day is roughly 2 ton of corn a year. Feed corn at £186/ton at the moment, so it's a major saving.

The reason arable farmers around here dislike them, is that when on newly drilled fields, they search for leatherjackets and in doing so, bring the seed to the surface, which is then eaten by themselves and pigeons and can soon devestate the future crop.

not a bad result that is it :yes: well done

i made one last week at work and had 3 carrions by morning. One just sits on the top constantly calling but wont go in! Does the angular roof on yours aid with getting the birds to go in

I built a wire funnel on the bottom of mine ot see if they go in to tat aswell.

• 3 years later...

Again I know this is an old post but that trap is brilliant. Does anyone know if there's a minimum size for them? Ie could you make a smaller one and it would still work? Looks tons better than a larsen - once they've caught a bird they're done until you reset them but this thing can carry on until they don't fit any more!

Could you make one say six feet long and four feet wide/deep?

Again I know this is an old post but that trap is brilliant. Does anyone know if there's a minimum size for them? Ie could you make a smaller one and it would still work? Looks tons better than a larsen - once they've caught a bird they're done until you reset them but this thing can carry on until they don't fit any more!

Could you make one say six feet long and four feet wide/deep?

i have 3 that are made to fit the quad trailer, their about 4ft wide and 6ft long by 5-6ft high and work well ive had 22 jackdaws in one this morning

tennis any one lol

I made one which was about 6'high - 4' feet at the ladder, some 8' wide and 10'feet long.

Major disadvantage as Highseas notes, they are not easily transportable over a certain size.

Equally prone to vandalism as Larsens, site choice is critical. They are deadly though 8 carrion crows the first morning after baiting.