What Cal Do You Use For Hunting

ShaggyRS6

What Cal Do You Use For Hunting  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cal?

• Both

I am sure this has been done before. But as I wanted to buy a .177 to complement my .22 for hunting I thought I would create a poll.

.22 but only as thats the only calibre I own. I would swap for a .177 though. In my opinion they are better at sub 12ftlbs due to the flatter trajectory.

My view anyway

Dan

I am sure this has been done before. But as I wanted to buy a .177 to complement my .22 for hunting I thought I would create a poll.

.22 but only as thats the only calibre I own. I would swap for a .177 though. In my opinion they are better at sub 12ftlbs due to the flatter trajectory.

My view anyway

Dan

Yeah, exactly why I wanted one. Get the RWS FAC'd

.22 is a more efficient calibre for an air rifle. For the same amount of air down a barrel, the larger pellt will carry more of the energy down to the end of the barrel. I read that somewhere, but have no idea where.

Also, a larger, heavier pellet will carry more momentum down range and is less likely to be affected by wind during the flight, but since both calibres are pretty light, then this is almost moot.

I just have always used .22 for hunting and .177 for targets. Guess I'm just oldfashioned

My view anyway

Dan

I told you that when you first arrived on here and asked which was best! Somehow the bigger one always catches the beginner at first, I was the same :/

My view anyway

Dan

I told you that when you first arrived on here and asked which was best! Somehow the bigger one always catches the beginner at first, I was the same :/

:/ yeah but my local gunshop doesn't sell .177's (apart from the odd px) and my lightning was cheap! Plus well, I was to eager to get cracking. lol

Its suprising that there are that many more .22 hunters. myself included at the moment. I am assuming the .177's are killing at the same kill rate and (correct me if I am wrong) would be able to kill at a greater distance?

Its suprising that there are that many more .22 hunters. myself included at the moment. I am assuming the .177's are killing at the same kill rate and (correct me if I am wrong) would be able to kill at a greater distance?

ooh well thats a iffy one really! whatever you can shoot over a further distance within an inch grouping! So you could have a .177 springer and a .22 pcp and be able to shoot further with the PCP.

As for same kill rate, the .22 being a larger calibre, will create a larger wound, potentially hitting more organs/vitals. A .177 has a flatter trajectory and although create's less of a wound is more likely to hit accurately, as the flatter trajectory is more likely to result in more forgiving distance judging errors.

Hope that helps and is all correct!

Dan

Hi,

bit of a odd poll and pointless poll!!!!!!!!! I use 177 air rifle for rabbits sometimes I use a 22rf. for foxes and larger game 223cf. for pigeons and carvoids 12 gauge

well thats strange, some might deem you informing us your choice or cf,rf and shotgun is more pointless in an air rifle section :/

I think its always good to see what others think and more importantly use, afterall each has pros/cons.

In legal limit I feel the .177 has the edge as it is flatter trajectory and more chance of a nice temple shot! Although it is more affected by wind! In FAC I like .22 as it flattens off the trajectory and using heavy pellets such as bisley mags the wind has a lot less affect.

Really its down to personal preferance. Both calibres in the right place will drop quarry!! :/

So, with what I have in mind, i.e. converting the RWS 500 to FAC and Keeping the the .177 X3 as is for non FAC permission I am doing the right thing.

I am actually looking foward to using the X3 and Hubble Telescope. I am going to try and get away from free standing shots for a bit as 1. They hurt an already bad back that needs a fusion this year, 2. I want to get those little beggers that are out of my free standing range :/

The X3 is has very nice wood so I will be buying a Camo sock for it. Just need my range finder to arrive and we are good to go.

I'm not that sure the poll is odd and pointless. I guess I could have just asked the same question out of my bedroom window. I doubt I would have got very many replies. :/

So, with what I have in mind, i.e. converting the RWS 500 to FAC and Keeping the the .177 X3 as is for non FAC permission I am doing the right thing.

I am actually looking foward to using the X3 and Hubble Telescope. I am going to try and get away from free standing shots for a bit as 1. They hurt an already bad back that needs a fusion this year, 2. I want to get those little beggers that are out of my free standing range :/

The X3 is has very nice wood so I will be buying a Camo sock for it. Just need my range finder to arrive and we are good to go.

I'm not that sure the poll is odd and pointless. I guess I could have just asked the same question out of my bedroom window. I doubt I would have got very many replies. :/

Lol, well the missus (if she is anything like mine) would have replied with "you have one gun, you don't need another. Although we could go clothes shopping and on a holiday with the cash instead. Thats something we really need." Do I nuts!! A holiday lasts a week, a Lanber will last probably longer than me!

Dan

I should have said where is .20 and .25? (yes yes I know there are others as well as those but they are not common)

Speak to someone who's made more than a few rifles and knows a thing or two about airguns (Ben Taylor, the Ben in Theoben) and he will tell you the best cal is .20.

Best compromise between flat trajectory and what people call "stopping power", even though I don't care for the term its how people refer to it.

I am actually looking foward to using the X3 and Hubble Telescope. I am going to try and get away from free standing shots for a bit as 1. They hurt an already bad back that needs a fusion this year, 2. I want to get those little beggers that are out of my free standing range :lol:

I'm not that sure the poll is odd and pointless. I guess I could have just asked the same question out of my bedroom window. I doubt I would have got very many replies. :)

Lol, well the missus (if she is anything like mine) would have replied with "you have one gun, you don't need another. Although we could go clothes shopping and on a holiday with the cash instead. Thats something we really need." Do I nuts!! A holiday lasts a week, a Lanber will last probably longer than me!

Dan

Mine too mate! :/ I'm down to just the Mk3 (had to flog the 97k and 80k- both .177) which is legal limit in .22, though I have no problem with that as I've always used that calibre anyway.

I have tried .177 and agree with others that at sub 12ftlb it's a cracking calibre but I still prefer its big brother, just personal preference I guess! Anyway the Mk3 will be going back to Daystate in the near future to be FAC'd to 30ftlb, unless I can persuade her to let me have an FAC'd Rapid MkII in .20! :/:lol:

Paul

Twenty two for me too. Flatter trajectory isn't a problem when you can steer your scope correctly, and can range a target within a few yards to get the right hold over / under.

Also, even the top end FT .177 pellets look badly cast to me - with a .22 there seems (rightly or wrongly) to be a more consistent and accurate casting of the pellets.

Just mho of course :/

In legal limit I feel the .177 has the edge as it is flatter trajectory and more chance of a nice temple shot! Although it is more affected by wind! In FAC I like .22 as it flattens off the trajectory and using heavy pellets such as bisley mags the wind has a lot less affect.

Really its down to personal preferance. Both calibres in the right place will drop quarry!! :good:

.177 isn't affected by the wind as much as .22 is:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179538

.177 all the way for me in sub 12ft/lbs. In FAC I would go for .22 or maybe even .25.

Wouldn't mind trying .20 as that is a nice medium between .177 and .22.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, I'm bringing this old thread back to life!

Buting a new rifle soon for hunting (i've got a hole punch for making holes in paper :good: ) and was leaning towards the .177 for better trajectory. Though a lot of you seem to think .22 is better for 'stopping power'. And anyone know if the .177 pellets are not so well made as someone mentioned?

Seems to be swings and roundabouts, but don't want to fork out only to find i made the wrong choice!