RED LETTER DAY

motty

A favourite field of mine was harvested about ten days ago and i was just waiting for the pigeons to really build up before hitting them. I'd shot a bag of 202 on this field (wheat stubble then) almost a year ago to the day, and when i knew this field was drilled with beans i predicted another double ton. The good thing about this farm is, the farmer almost always leaves his stubbles over winter, giving me a chance where other farmers don't.

So i was at the field at around 8.30am yesterday and quite a few pigeons were around already. My mate Sam from essex was to share a hide with me. The wind was from the ideal direction so we could set the hide exactly where i wanted it, to take advantage of the well known flightlines. We started with one magnet and a pattern of flocked decoys. Another magnet was deployed as we shot the first few( so we had a magnet either side of us) and we added dead birds on cradles.

The action started fairly slowly but we still notched around 20 in the first hour or so. As the morning wore on, we got steadily busier and left and rights were falling fairly frequently. By 1pm we were past the ton and still we hadn't reached the peak of the action. My lamping partner turned up to watch and was quite gutted as he'd turned down the offer to shoot with me in favour of doing some extra work on his day off, only for the work to be called off!

We were shooting fairly well and by around 3pm we had topped 200. The next goal was 250, but as things started dying down just after 4pm, it was looking unlikely. We waited as long as we could, knowing we had a long pack up, but eventually called it a day at 4.45pm with a bag of 246. It was an enjoyable day and hopefully the pigeons haven't finished with the field.

Got photos saved onto the computer, but can't seem to add them. Need help!

Edited by motty

Very nice report, thats what you call a red letter day. :good:

Incidentally, did you notice many young birds in the bag ?

Yes Cranfield, there where plenty of young birds, perhaps more than a quarter of the bag. They were all of a decent size though, and the game dealer was happy to take them all.

Yes Cranfield, there where plenty of young birds, perhaps more than a quarter of the bag. They were all of a decent size though, and the game dealer was happy to take them all.

Thanks for the response, at the moment we are finding about 40-50% of our bags are young birds and I still have a nest in my garden with two squabs in it.

There will be quite a few around this winter.