Crow/Jackdaw bashing

steve_b_wales

Codling and myself went on one of my permissions the other day. The farmer told me that he had planted winter barley, and the crows were hitting it hard.

We set up at 6am, and put a few crow decoys out. Within minutes, a crow came over head and Codling got his 1st. Almost straight away, I did the same. Using my Primos power crow call, the birds came in, but mostly jackdaws. For some reason, the crows were turning away sharply at the last minute. We did not know why this was.

Anyway, we carried on shooting, with a few breaks in between. We missed a 'few', and some that we did hit, flew/hopped down the field wounded. Most of them we caught up with and dispatched, but one or two did get away. I don't like this to happen, but sometimes it cannot be helped. When it went quiet, we decided to call it a day, and picked up 19 jackdaws and 4 crows.

We agreed to go back down the following morning, and set up just like the day before, only this time, we used the dead birds that we had shot the previous day, and kept in a bag,hanging from a tree.

We placed out two groups of birds, with a bigger space in between them. This time the crows liked it, and we had some good shots. When we finished (because no more birds came in) we had 21 jackdaws and 6 crows.

All in all, it was a good two days and we enjoyed it. The picture shows the total of two days shooting. I'm off down there again tomorrow morning, taking a member off pigeon watch who wants to give it a try. I'll report back if we have a good day.

EDIT. Went down the farm yesterday (Thurs ) and the seed has now started to grow, owing the the rain we had a few days ago. I knew that we were on a loser, but set a few crow decoys out, and managed to shoot 6 jackdaws! Missed one or two as well. Not worth going there again now, until the farmer (hopefully) tells me next year when he's cutting the barley.

Edited by steve_b_wales

Good going :good:

What load do you use ?I got peed off with them flying fields away and then dropping so i use 4's or even 3's on them now if i am going specificaly for them because even though it's a crow you feel obliged to walk after it and put it out of it's misery.